Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Hall effect range

:: EPE Chat Zone ­:: ­Radio Bygones Message Board :: » EPE Forum Archives 2005-2006 » Archive through 19 September, 2005 » Hall effect range « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Thomas
Frequent Contributor
Username: Thomas

Post Number: 50

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, 17 September, 2005 - 09:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

First I'd like to thank Microguy for being so generous (elsewhere on the Chat Zone). Microguy suggests Hall effect switches (the digital output type) as a possibility for model train detection. However, what is the range of those devices? One of my catalogues lists a few of them, all around 10mm range. With kind regards, Thomas.

Microguy
Regular Contributor
Username: Microguy

Post Number: 38

Posted on Saturday, 17 September, 2005 - 10:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

You're very welcome. I just like helping people. And if I have stuff that I'm not likely to use any time soon, I'd rather see it go to a good cause.

I'm not too sure about the range, I haven't worked with them in a while.

But is your range going to change? 10mm should be more than enough room.

If you're worried about being closer, I don't think that's an issue I'd leave the seperation at about one or two mm anway. Or just mount the magnent on the bottom of the train and the the sensor flush with the track and you should be in business.

If not, you can put a shimmy in there to move the magnent closer to the track.

Unless you've got some big trains, I can't see the magnent being more than 10mm away.

Yesiam
Valued Member
Username: Yesiam

Post Number: 15

Posted on Sunday, 18 September, 2005 - 04:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

You might also try to use an inductive coil at various locations on the track. If the model train has enough iron mass it will affect the current flow in the coil. It's the same technique used on a larger scale in driveways and intersections for detecting the presence of cars. There is probably more leeway to manage the proximity issues.

Yesiam
Valued Member
Username: Yesiam

Post Number: 16

Posted on Sunday, 18 September, 2005 - 04:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Sorry. I noticed this thread is an extension of another thread. Looks like the discussion has already several suggestions in this area.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page