Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Televison Volume!!

:: EPE Chat Zone ­:: ­Radio Bygones Message Board :: » EPE Forum Archives 2005-2006 » Archive through 12 October, 2005 » Televison Volume!! « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Cherrytree
Regular Contributor
Username: Cherrytree

Post Number: 21

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, 02 October, 2005 - 11:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Hi all,

This is a tad technical but still going to ask..
when your watching televison ok you set the voloume to a desired level ok..

But has anyone noticed that when the adverts come on that set volume, is flipping louder.. how come??
and is there a way to stop it going from how we set the volume & keep it there.. ??

I not up on this but read an article by R.Penfold and he done a thing called a volume compressor.. is that right.. ??
thanks in advance
CT
very anoying loud TV thru adverts graaaa

Microguy
Frequent Contributor
Username: Microguy

Post Number: 183

Posted on Monday, 03 October, 2005 - 03:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

By law (at least in the US), this is not allowed. But yes, it does happen.

They sneak by, by claiming that it is technical issues that cause it. (and they're right to a degree).

If you think about it, it would be a hard thing to do to make sure that everybody was using the same volume level in everything they produced, from shows to adverts.

About all you can do is complain to the station and the FCC (in the states).

Wish you luck because basically, nobody cares.

It would cost $$ to make everything the same sound level (from the studio view) and it's not going to happen.

Although YOU can build something. for YOUR own TV. (I don't have any drawings but I have used circuits like the following)

Basically just a AGC circuit. But in using something like that, it also keeps the "action" volume down also. Meaning it won't get loud when it's supposed to.

One way to do it is filter the sound level out to DC (in another circuit, not the sound that reaches the speakers, this is going to be the control signal). The apply that to a LED. You'll have to make some adjustments so that the desired volume level just turns on the LED. Couple that LED very closely (in a tube or something) to a cadmium sulfide photo sensitive resistor, and use that resistor to control the gain of an amplifier.

LED~~~~~~~Resistor
Glue^^^Tube^^^Glue (the "tildes" are the light waves)

(Hard to draw since this software doesn't allow spaces) (just think a tube, with a LED in one end, and a photo resistor in the other end)

With today's "digital potentiometers" you can do a lot more, a lot better.

I've used that circuit and it works quite well for signals such as sound or slow changing signals. But as I said, it will also cut out the "action" shots as well. You can couple that to a circuit so that it allows small, slow changes in volume, such as the changes that you make via the control, just use a capacitor as the main "gain control" circuit (or should I say as a another control). The sound level will slowly charge up the capacitor, this DC level changes the gain of the over all circuit. Fast changes don't "pass" through, much like a filter on a power supply. But slow changes do, like changing the output of that supply via the control knob.

I've thought about designing one myself. I've lost a good bit of hearing from an explosion I was involved in at Siemens (5000 Amp circuit breaker) and have my TV louder than most people would like. So when the commercials come on, sometimes it's much louder than even *I* would like. It drives me crazy when they do that, I'm in the kitchen and the TV goes NUTS and I have to run and close it down. I hate it.

Do a Google, on "AGC TV OR Radio volume control circuits" and see what you come up with.

Externet
Regular Contributor
Username: Externet

Post Number: 27

Posted on Monday, 03 October, 2005 - 05:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Hi Cherrytree.
The higher volume in commercials is usually nothing else but goofing with the mixer settings at the broadcaster site.
The audio processing chain uses expensive sophisticated equipment that most television stations do have.
At my workplace we build those (www.orban.com) but some operators do not do their part.
If you call the station and express how DISGUSTING that is, will likely spank the operator and correct the anomaly immediately.
Miguel

Terrym
Frequent Contributor
Username: Terrym

Post Number: 53

Posted on Monday, 03 October, 2005 - 02:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Having worked in the industry in NZ, I can tell you they use a higher audio compression ratio on the ads as opposed to everything else which makes them sound louder. If you used a sound level meter, it would indicate everthing was the same level. That's how they get round it. Only real solution is the mute button and with the current stupidity of commercials, it gets a lot of use in my place.
TM

Cherrytree
Regular Contributor
Username: Cherrytree

Post Number: 23

Posted on Monday, 03 October, 2005 - 10:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Hi all,
hmm cheers for all the replys I just knew it would be quite a techy issue... never the less thanks for the replys & assistance..
what do I DO umm PASS on it!! funny enough what one of you said is mutting it temporary whilst they on.. in my case & my friend.. thats the easy answer... but Im not alone.. as I've just read on your replys cheers
CT.

Grab
Frequent Contributor
Username: Grab

Post Number: 60

Posted on Tuesday, 04 October, 2005 - 06:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Commercial radio stations often do the same thing - not with adverts, but with music. Compression means that softer bits sound louder, so there's no "light and shade", but when you're tuning a radio in, louder stations are more likely to be listened to.

Graham.

Atferrari
Frequent Contributor
Username: Atferrari

Post Number: 89

Posted on Sunday, 09 October, 2005 - 03:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

And, what about this?

I use to listen a news program in an FM station from 06.00 to 09.30. They include some music from times to times which sounds "OK".

Since 09.30, once it ends, they emit just music with very little spoken passages for the next four hours.

After few minutes, by 09.40, I always realize that music sounds too loud.

It's just me?
It's something like what was explained before?
Or there is a guy in charge to increase volume (or whatever) at around 09.40 hours?

The fact I give a "precise" time is because it always happens 10 minuts after...
Agustín Tomás

Microguy
Frequent Contributor
Username: Microguy

Post Number: 225

Posted on Sunday, 09 October, 2005 - 06:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

I think that's probably your ears adjusting.

I had an uncle that was a navigator in the air force, and he would come home and turn on the TV (setting the volume) and then end up taking a nap. When he woke up he'd be mad as could be because the TV sound was turned up so loud. (he was a real jerk).

All that flying around and the noise he was around caused his hearing to drop out. But after a bit of time it came back to him. But it was slow enough that he didn't know it was happening.

But at some point, you suddenly realize that the sound level is up.

In your case (and mine too), you set the sound level so you can listen to the people talking. People talking sound better at a certain level on the radio, normally higher because you tend to lose certain parts of words.

But when they change over to music, after a bit, you realize that it's too loud.

So as long as it was people talking, it sounded fine.

I do the same thing. When I listen to the talk radio sometimes I have the sound turned way up. And I know that I'd never have the music turned up that loud, I just don't need it that way.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page