Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Which book to get started?

:: EPE Chat Zone ­:: ­Radio Bygones Message Board :: » EPE Forum Archives 2005-2006 » Archive through 17 October, 2005 » Which book to get started? « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Sophie
Just joined
Username: Sophie

Post Number: 2

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, 14 October, 2005 - 12:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Hi
I know this is a really annoying question when you know lots about a subject already but if you could help it would be great! My question is, which book or books would you recommend to help someone (i.e my husband who REALLY wants to understand electronics but finds the books send him to sleep)get the basics of electronics, any advice would be hugely welcome.
Sophie}

Epithumia
Frequent Contributor
Username: Epithumia

Post Number: 82

Posted on Friday, 14 October, 2005 - 02:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Hi Sophie,

Not sure about books, but this month EPE are starting their Teach In 2006 course:

"Teach-In 2006 - one of the world's best electronics educational series, this all-new ten part tutorial is the perfect introduction for students, beginners and hobbyists everywhere. Covering all the fundamentals of modern electronics, step by step to build your knowledge and your confidence!. Follow the famous EPE Teach In series for 2006 - be sure to check next month's EPE!"
The price of getting what you want is getting what you once wanted.

Violin_m
Valued Member
Username: Violin_m

Post Number: 19

Posted on Friday, 14 October, 2005 - 02:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Hi. For anyone wishing to learn about electronics I will highly and confidantly recommend this book.

Electronics for Today and Tomorrow. by Tom Duncan.

First Published 1985 by John Murray (publishers) Ltd.

I have the Second edition 1997. ISBN 0 7195 74137

Microguy
Frequent Contributor
Username: Microguy

Post Number: 285

Posted on Friday, 14 October, 2005 - 04:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

You can also download (at least some of) the Teach in stuff from this website. (well, the main one anyway)

As for books, I'd love to recommend one, but it's really been a log time since I've seen a beginner book, I really can't recall any.

One thing I can recommend for when you do start to understand a little bit about it is Lab center's Proteus software.

It's a schematic drawing and PCB layout software package that is pretty inexpensive.

But it also has a basic electronics tutorial with it that uses it's animation features.

It will help understanding the basics of how electronics and electricity work. Then it will allow you to simulate your own circuits. Instead of having to buy and build many circuits, you can actually draw them on the screen and simulate them.

Then after that, you'll already have a schematic drawing package for drawing your own circuits. (you'll want that later on). And then if you get this far, you'll be able to create your own Printed Circuit Boards for your projects.

I can also recommend any "Experimenter Notebooks" by Forrest M. Mimms III. He has some very good books out there with "building block" circuits. He doesn't go into any great detail explaining how the work, but they are basic building blocks. So you pretty much know how the work, they're fun to build and you can use them in many different circuits. They also have some other more advanced circuits in there too that are fun to mess around with.

Microguy
Frequent Contributor
Username: Microguy

Post Number: 288

Posted on Friday, 14 October, 2005 - 06:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

I'd add two things to what I said about simulations.

Simulations are great. A lot of times you won't even have the components on hand. So it's nice to be able to just pick them from a list and go to work. Not only that, it's much cheaper to simulate a circuit. And you can play around with it until it works (who builds circuits that work the fist time!) Plus, it's hard to burn a virtual circuit up!! I've gone through several hundred bucks worth of real components, and believe me, it's nice to not be able to burn up a $27 chip in the first 3 seconds after you turn it on. (Your one and only chip, now you have to not only figure out what went wrong, but you have to order a new chip and wait for it!)

But! There is nothing to replace actually working with circuits. Hands on beats simulation, well, hands down.

Plus, the actual wiring is a very important part of working with electronics. It's really not just a matter of plugging stuff together on a breadboard.

There's a true art form to building good circuits, and you will not learn that from simulations. A simulator can't teach you to solder. Or the correct way to route wires on a point to point prototype.

So simulations are great, they're a great way to get started, they're clean and easy.

But nothing will replace actual hands on experience that hands on learning provides. Yes, even the "smokey" learning experiences.

And you've come to a great place to get started too.

There's a wealth of knowledge here, and people are very willing to share not only their experience, but actual parts as well (to a certain degree of course).

That's one thing that's so nice about this place. It's got a really good mix of people who know what they're doing, and people that are willing to go the extra step to help you learn and understand what's going on. I've been to a lot of places, and this one is pretty different. It's got a global mix for one, Brits, "Ozzys", USA, African, you name and you can probably find somebody here.

Yes, this is a good place to get started. I've been around the block several times, and I'm impressed with the people here.

Cherrytree
Regular Contributor
Username: Cherrytree

Post Number: 44

Posted on Saturday, 15 October, 2005 - 01:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Hi Sophie,
Yes I to recomend the Book by Tom Duncan, I owe very much to that book, its very easy to follow,
try and get the early one ok.. try a google search or other searches..

If your husband wants direct help on the very basics .. the go to here http://www.mitedu.freeserve.co.uk
now thats a brill starting point, all in complete laymans terms.. very good site + here of course
!!
the sites still up because i use it still and ive been dabbling for say 10years or so.. you can never stop learning electronics..

It's changing all the time.. as we speak
good luck
CT

John_north
Valued Member
Username: John_north

Post Number: 20

Posted on Sunday, 16 October, 2005 - 12:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Hi Sophie,

EPE Magazine has just started one of its regular "Teach In" series. It begins in this month's edition which is stocked by WH Smiths if you're in Britain. It's a mix of theory and practicals so shouldn't send your fella to sleep! That and asking questions on this Chat Zone should help.

By the way, how did you come to find us here? Do you/your husband already read EPE? Are we preaching to the converted?

Regards,
JRN

Externet
Regular Contributor
Username: Externet

Post Number: 30

Posted on Sunday, 16 October, 2005 - 01:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Hi.
Try something like these:
http://www.ramseyelectronics.com/cgi-bin/commerce.exe?preadd=action&key=PL500
Or
http://www.ramseyelectronics.com/cgi-bin/commerce.exe?preadd=action&key=PL130

They include manuals written for beginners.
Miguel

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page