Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Christmas Lights

:: EPE Chat Zone ≠:: ≠Radio Bygones Message Board :: » EPE Forum Archives 2005-2006 » Archive through 02 November, 2005 » Christmas Lights « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 7

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, 27 October, 2005 - 01:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

i have seen a christmas Bell that Paul built is there a video of this on the internet. Iam looking for inspiration for christmas lights i have nine small windows in the front door and i want to have a fully pic controlled light show on my front door. just need inspiration to see what other people have done anybody have any ideas or know of any websites.

Thanks
Mike

Paul_goodson
Frequent Contributor
Username: Paul_goodson

Post Number: 149

Posted on Thursday, 27 October, 2005 - 07:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

RE
"I am looking for inspiration for Christmas lights"

YES so am I Mike, and running out of time!

The bell you see on the forum is the middle bell, of a set of three that makes one ringing bell
I have 5 ringing bells in a line across the top of my house

This was my first project using PICs
The idea of ringing bells to me was old hat
But I felt this was an ideal way of showing off the effects that could be used with a PICs (thanks to EPE/ John Becker)
I amazed myself with the overall effects of this, and the thing is that as I am learning more about programming
The more effects I can add to it
The real problem for me this year is that with PICs, so many doors have now opened and I have maybe left it too late to add another display for this Christmas?

Unfortunately you may have to use a little imagination as 1 the pitcher quality is poor, and 2 the overall program is far too long to show
I havenít got a web site as such but you should still be able to view some files with the link below

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/paul.goodson/

Hope this help Paul

Paul_goodson
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 150

Posted on Thursday, 27 October, 2005 - 08:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

For some reason my own clips won't show on my media player 9
I get a message saying
ďCLASS NOT REGISTEREDĒ
Funny thing is my son has the same media player 9
As me and I can view them on his computer
Both computers are using win 98SE and to my knowledge I have set them up the same
Any help please
Paul

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 8

Posted on Friday, 28 October, 2005 - 10:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

I like the front of your house. It would fit in well near where i live every year there seems to be a battle of the lights. You're right though i have left it to late for this year but i am thinking about next year. My front door is very similar to yours and my idea is to have a moving image in each window.(about the size of a DVD box) each will have there own sequence and each window will have a main controller that is in charge of the whole display. i was going to make the image on clear plastic and drill the holes for the leds. on top of all that i was going to put some other leds over the door so i can switch off the windows and cause a snow storm down the door.
Heres a couple of ideas that i have tried but not for christmas but you could easily convert to a smiling santa. have a rotating arm with leds on to create snow flakes in your window and display messages. www.bobblick.com/techref/projects/propclock/propclock.html this link isn't the one i was looking for but you will get the idea, if you can imagine a big circle spinning round as a big wheel in your window. however you need to enclose it as it really, really hurts when your fingers touch the spinning breadboard by accident.
the other project i have in mind is subliminal message when you catch a strobe in a flashing light you can see the flicker. for next year i am looking at building a row of tri colour leds so if you just look at them it is just a band of flashing lights. but when you walk past you see the image you created. i did start to build this at my last place of work for the Red Bull soap box race in Leeds we where going to make the company logo in a bank of 24 leds and as the cart went down the hill you could see the company name. it work quite well we could test it at work as the samples lab had a linear drive that could run at 400M/min. works time well spent. and after all that our cart entry was to late. i will try and find a few links showing these so you can see how effective they are i dont think words really do it justice.

Mcclosda
Just joined
Username: Mcclosda

Post Number: 5

Posted on Friday, 28 October, 2005 - 10:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Hi Paul,
This might be worth a try, I found that by downloading the free mediaplayer DivX and installing it That it brings all the necessary Codecs down with it and WMP gets to use them.

Paul_goodson
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 151

Posted on Friday, 28 October, 2005 - 02:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Thanks David
I can not find a download for Win 98Se
the DIVX player may not work on 98se?
Paul

Armadillo
Regular Contributor
Username: Armadillo

Post Number: 43

Posted on Friday, 28 October, 2005 - 04:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Try here:
http://www.divx.com/divx/divx_v6_me98.php

HTH
Armadillo (UK)
There's no such thing as gravity..........
The earth sucks!

Paul_goodson
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 152

Posted on Friday, 28 October, 2005 - 08:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Hi Mike

The spinning breadboard sounds like a health and safety issue

You must have to be super fast at pushing your components in to the breadboard as it spins

RE ďI was going to make the image on clear plastic and drill the holes for the LEDís.Ē
I use makrolon to build most of displays on, made by Bayer

I have at last got an idea for my light this year, but itís a race against the clock
Its something total different, I hope?
I am toying with the idea of use Perspex to make 3D letters (Merry Christmas Happy New Year)
And shining LEDís hopefully RGB through the letters.
I have found that if you bend the Perspex say in the round of the letter P the light, like fiber optics follows the bent
Part of the letter P is testing on my breadboard,
if you would like to see a photo on this
email me at

paul.goodson@ntlworld.com

Maybe some late nights are ahead
thanks
Paul

Paul_goodson
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 157

Posted on Saturday, 29 October, 2005 - 05:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/paul.goodson/paul.goodson/IMAG0007.JPG

Microguy
Frequent Contributor
Username: Microguy

Post Number: 355

Posted on Saturday, 29 October, 2005 - 09:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Paul, the letter will light up a little bit, but you're right about the light, will follow the bend of the plastic.

Basically what you have created is a big fiber optic cable, not long, just fat.

When you force light into the end of the plastic, it will mostly stay contained within the plastic. And the areas that are bent, will light up as the light keeps trying to follow the straight path. (as you have found)

Since the light isn't coherent, as a LASER is, the light from the LED's will expand outward from the source, sort of like a fan.

What happens in that plastic, is the light is reflected back off the INSIDE of the plastic. That's how fiber optics work.

So for your letters to light up, you need to scratch up the surface of the plastic. That way, when the light hits the inside surface, it won't be reflected back inside the light pipe quite as much.

It will make the letters themselves much brighter.

I don't think you have to scratch them too deeply.

But that should look pretty nice.

Paul_goodson
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 159

Posted on Saturday, 29 October, 2005 - 10:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Thanks Jack ( sorry I was going to say Hi)
It sounds that your type of camping might be classed as a torture trip for most?

Just what is it that drives people from their home comforts?

However looking back at some of my long fishing trips, in all sorts of weather

Maybe I can relate to it in some way?

LIKE tired cold wet Hungary havenít cached a fish in days

But for some reason when I get back home.
Just can't wait for my next fishing trip
Total madness

sorry back to the thread

would this be the same as blacking out the surface ?
Paul

Microguy
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 357

Posted on Sunday, 30 October, 2005 - 01:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

It used to be pretty fun. I used to do it a lot when I was a kid. And I really enjoy getting out there now. But man, I'm paying for it. I really haven't been since I've had some serious back problems, so I guess I just haven't added one and one together to get "don't go".

I do try to go as light and as comfortable as I can (but those two are mutually exclusive!).

And no, the "Ultra-light" campers, now that would be torture for most! Those are the people that cut their toothbrush in half, and then drill holes in the rest of it to save half a gram.

I'm not sure about "blacking out the surface".

I would use a coarse sand paper to scratch the surface of the plastic. Just something that will allow the light to reflect outwards when the light hits it from the inside, instead of reflecting it back into the plastic pipe.

Paul_goodson
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 163

Posted on Sunday, 30 October, 2005 - 12:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

RE So for your letters to light up, you need to scratch up the surface of the plastic. That way, when the light hits the inside surface, it won't be reflected back inside the light pipe quite as much
I have Just tryed this trick out and it does look a lot better
Thanks Jack

Microguy
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 361

Posted on Sunday, 30 October, 2005 - 02:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Glad I could help out. If you wanted to get fancy, you could scratch some sort of design into the plastic. Maybe just something like crosshatching with a file or something like that.

Something so that the whole surface isn't scratched like it was done with sand paper.

I'm not the artistic type, so I'll leave that part up to you.

Paul_goodson
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 164

Posted on Sunday, 30 October, 2005 - 03:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

All most covered most of the problems

I did toy with the idea of using separate LEDís as RGB as this would be cheaper, especially as some letters will have to have 2 or more RGB packages. in one letter to shine the light evenly through the letters, in different positions.

But I have found that if I use separate LEDís the colours will show at the end of the pipe I am shinning light through,
Where say if I mix all 3 then I would get white in the pipe, but the sides & face of the LEDís will show individual colours, just around the LEDís areas
So a really need to use the full colour chip type,
Plus the wiring will be a lot easier especially if I have control of the colour to each letter

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ModuleNo=35893&doy=30m10&QV=P

I have 4 in stock and they are first class
The only thing is a £4 each itís going to be an expensive project unless I source them elsewhere?

Or change Merry Christmas /Happy New Year for Season Greetingís
I think SMD type are slightly cheaper, butI donít fancy starting to learn how to solder SMD on this project

Anyway must plod on

Thanks again Paul

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page