Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Greetings & EPE On-line

:: EPE Chat Zone ­:: ­Radio Bygones Message Board :: » EPE Forum Archives 2005-2006 » Archive through 07 December, 2005 » Greetings & EPE On-line « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Joval
Just joined
Username: Joval

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, 05 December, 2005 - 01:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Hello,

I've recently started reading EPE and have just registered with this chat board so I thought I ought to introduce myself.

My real name is Mike and I live in London in the UK. At present my knowledge of electronics is extremely limited: I can recognise component symbols on a circuit diagram and know what various components do but have difficulty actually working out what all but the simplest circuit actually does. As a kid I had an electronics kit which allowed one to undertake various projects using a sort of breadboard to which one attached sprung posts which gripped component leads. With that I built all the usual beginner sorts of things such as flashers, oscillators, buzzers, bleepers, delay circuits etc and an AM radio which worked rather well. I also took Practical Electronics magazine for a while but all that went by the wayside as school work for exams increased.

As a postgraduate I also had a sort of very rapid crash course in digital electronics after someone who wasn't very careful managed to route the high voltage on a mass spectrometer through a hybrid high speed data acquisition device and a minicomputer to ground. I had to write software and use a rather nice professional oscilloscope as a logic probe in order to determine which of the digital circuitary was still functioning and what needed replacing.

My objective for reading EPE is to get up to speed on electronics to the point where I can design my own circuits and get some practical build experience.

Lastly, a question:

Is there anyone here who subscribes to EPE On-line? I'm thinking of subscribing to this but wondered if anyone had found any disadvantage to taking EPE in this form. From looking at the sample on the EPE On-line web site the only disadvantages that I've noticed so far is that some pictures such as screen shots may not be as clear as in the paper magazine and that URL's are not clickable and cannot be copied.

I would appreciate any thoughts that you might have on this.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Microguy
Frequent Contributor
Username: Microguy

Post Number: 586

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, 05 December, 2005 - 03:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Nice to meet you, I'm sure you'll be up to speed in no time. Just don't start at the top or you'll get all frustrated and not get it. Chips are pretty easy because they're just building blocks. Signals goes in here, comes out there, and the chip pretty much does what they say it does.

But I find electronics to be really fun (and aggravating sometimes). You can do so much with it, and you can build stuff for yourself, and best of all, you can learn something new every single day and still not know it all.

I get the on-line magazine as I live in the US.

I don't really mind it, but sometimes I forget to download it. And I really do prefer the paper magazine in my hands.

If it was close enough, I'd get the paper. But I hate to pay the premimum for overseas.

But there's no real trouble reading it. There might be in you have a small computer screen.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page