Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Ac voltmeter

:: EPE Chat Zone ­:: ­Radio Bygones Message Board :: » EPE Forum Archives 2005-2006 » Archive through 07 February, 2006 » Ac voltmeter « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Individual
Regular Contributor
Username: Individual

Post Number: 30

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, 03 February, 2006 - 11:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Hi
I'm looking for a circuit schematic that is used to convert ac mains voltage to a smaller dc value so the pic microcontroller can measure and display it using the internal ADC.

Can anyone help?

Zeitghost
Regular Contributor
Username: Zeitghost

Post Number: 45

Posted on Friday, 03 February, 2006 - 12:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

What?

Like in a powersupply?

Are you attempting to measure the ac mains voltage?

You could try using one of those unregulated wall wart power supply thingies: since it's unregulated the output voltage will vary as the mains voltage varies... only slower because of the smoothing capacitor in the psu.

Putting a load resistor on the wall wart will improve the response by discharging the smoothing capacitor.

Individual
Regular Contributor
Username: Individual

Post Number: 31

Posted on Friday, 03 February, 2006 - 03:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

In other words, I want to build a microcontroller based ac mains voltmeter.
Can anyone help?

Grab
Frequent Contributor
Username: Grab

Post Number: 123

Posted on Friday, 03 February, 2006 - 06:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

If you're using a PIC, you can do the RMS conversion directly from reading a scaled-down AC input. This is actually much simpler than messing around with external filters, and it's a much more elegant solution. How to do it...

First step - reduce the voltage to a smaller value which can be handled by the electronics. A potential divider is the key here.

Now if you feed the potential divider via a capacitor, you'll block the DC and be left with only the AC. Half of that will be greater than 0V and will be reported to your PIC's ADC as a non-zero value, half will be less than 0V and so will be reported as zero by the PIC's ADC. If the PIC is unhappy about voltages below 0V (I can't remember offhand), then use a rail-to-rail op-amp as a buffer.

Next step - how to read values to RMS. When you're doing calculations of AC, the standard problem is working out how to detect the start and end of the cycle. But here it's easy - one half of the cycle is always reporting zero, so you can start averaging when the input goes above zero (actually best to do above some calibratable threshold, to avoid noise - maybe 2 or 3 bits) and stop averaging when the input goes back to zero, and you'll then know that you've covered one entire half-cycle. If you put the potential divider directly across the mains, then you'd have a problem with there being a voltage offset on it (neutral may be slightly higher or lower than ground, which would affect your result). But the capacitor blocks the voltage offset, leaving you with just the AC component.

Now the problem is just doing the RMS calculation. The simplest approach is to use two variables for a running total and number of values. Every time you start a half-wave (ie. get your first non-zero value), zero them both. At every value from the start until the end of the half-cycle, add the *square* of each value you read to the running total, and add one to the number of values read. At the end of the half-wave, divide the running total by the number of values read to get the "mean square", and then take the square root of the average to get the "root mean square". These operations aren't built into PICs, but Microchip provides standard maths routines that'll do it.

To make the sums easier, I suggest ignoring the lower 2 bits off the ADC reading. Squared, that gives you a 16-bit number per sample. That's easier to accomodate than a 20-bit number, and an 8-bit by 8-bit multiply is faster. Use a 24-bit number for your running total (will handle up to 255 samples).

Note that to get an accurate value, you'll want about 10 samples. That means your samples will need to run at least 20x faster than your AC wave, so at least 1000 samples per second (one sample and calculation per ms). You should be able to do a multiply-and-add in this time fairly easily, even on a 16F877. It'll take a bit longer to do the division and square-root after that, but that doesn't matter - you've got all the next half-cycle to do that (10ms), and if it takes longer than that then no worries, you can just skip the next cycle and pick it up when you can.

Also note that this approach assumes equally-spaced samples, so ensure the timing is solid by using a timer. And remember that the more samples you get per half-wave, the more accurate your calculation will be.

At the end of it, you've got an RMS in bit scaling. You then just need to apply some scaling factor to get it into volts (do the sums, it ain't too hard).

Another note on this. You might find that the reading is a bit jittery, because you're limited to the accuracy of your sampling and ADC. You can get around that by averaging the last few half-wave values to get a more accurate result.

Graham.

(Message edited by grab on 03 February, 2006)

Zeitghost
Regular Contributor

Post Number: 46

Posted on Friday, 03 February, 2006 - 11:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Don't forget that messing around with mains voltages is dangerous and may kill you if you get it wrong... :o)

The wallwart approach may well be inelegant, but oddly enough, it is relatively safe.

Obiwan
Frequent Contributor
Username: Obiwan

Post Number: 95

Posted on Saturday, 04 February, 2006 - 12:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

They used to have some RMS to DC converter chips, Analog Devices I think.

Use like an opamp, just put your AC in the input, and a RMS DC value is returned at the output.

They were popular in early digital multimeters. But I haven't seen them out there in a while, but I haven't been looking either.

There are analog methods of doing this, but I can't remember what all is involved. Could be more complicated that you would want to get into, that's why AD came out with the chip.

(yes, I also a fan of not messing with the mains, that's just asking for trouble, plus, is a wire were to short out, it could kill somebody later on. If you can't use a wall-wart, maybe you can use an inductive method, so you don't have to attache anything to the actual mains circuit)
May the Force be with (most of) you.....

Rich1608
Username: Rich1608

Post Number: 9

Posted on Saturday, 04 February, 2006 - 08:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Forgive my ignorance but what is a wall wart? I've never heard of this before. Or maybe I have but not by that name.

Terrym
Frequent Contributor
Username: Terrym

Post Number: 144

Posted on Saturday, 04 February, 2006 - 01:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Wall Wart = Plug Pack = one of those little black boxes you plug into the wall and whatever voltage/current it says on the label (supposedly) comes out the lead attached to it.
TM

Zeitghost
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 53

Posted on Saturday, 04 February, 2006 - 04:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Yup. That's the very thing... I must apologise for the Americanism. I lurk far too much on EngTips and it rubs off. I called petrol "gas" in a post the other day... it keeps the cousins happy. It'll be "aluminum" next.

Don't know that there's a great advantage in going to the trouble of true rms.

It all depends on what you want to measure & how fast you want to measure it.

The other thing to remember is that there are humungous spikes on the mains supply caused by tap changing and other network funnies.

I seem to recall that stuff is supposed to survive 10 6kV spikes in 30 secs, or something similar.

That was for things like electricity meters. Not really my field.

Grab
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 124

Posted on Monday, 06 February, 2006 - 01:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Just remembered last night, re the maths in RMS-ing.

Suppose your AC wave goes

0 3 5 6 5 3 0 -3 -5 -6 -5 -3 0

Then a half-wave is *not* just "3 5 6 5 3" - it's actually "0 3 5 6 5 3". So when you do the average, you have to divide the total by the number of non-zero elements *plus* *one*. If you don't, your RMS calculation will be too high.

Graham.

Grab
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 125

Posted on Monday, 06 February, 2006 - 01:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

For completeness, the analogue version (to do what you actually asked for. ;-).

You still need your potential divider to drop the voltage down to something more reasonable.

Then you want a precision rectifier, which is two op-amps connected together as an inverting (gain -1) and non-inverting buffer (gain 1), giving out a precision full-wave rectified value. See Google for precision rectifier circuits - it's simple enough.

Then you put that through a low-pass filter with a time constant of slower than 0.02s (1/50Hz). That smooths out the peaks and troughs to give a fairly steady value. Then you just feed this into your ADC input.

The main downside of this is that this is just the "mean" rather than the "root mean square". If you can assume a true sine wave then it's not such a big deal though, but it won't do true RMS for more complex waveforms. You also need to apply a scaling factor - IIRC this level is 0.65 times the peak AC voltage, whereas the RMS is 0.71 times the peak AC voltage. I've got the sums somewhere if you're interested.

If you still want to do it this way, this is the simplest way to do it. As I said before though, if you're feeding all this into a micro anyway then you're better doing the whole thing in software. Doing things in discrete hardware just because it's possible is *not* good engineering. ;-)

Graham.

Grab
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 126

Posted on Monday, 06 February, 2006 - 09:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Just found my sums, so here's the scalings.

Suppose you've got a 1V RMS sine wave (ie. it's sqrt(2) V peak, or 2*sqrt(2) V peak-to-peak). Then the mean of full-wave rectified 1V RMS sine wave is (2*sqrt(2)/pi) V.

Do the sums, it works out that the mean comes out at 0.9V.

Graham.

Zeitghost
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 56

Posted on Monday, 06 February, 2006 - 03:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Which is why the AVO 8 has engraved upon its scale: "average responding, rms calibrated" or some such.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page