Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Looking for a LCD with Touch-Screen?

:: EPE Chat Zone ­:: ­Radio Bygones Message Board :: » EPE Forum Archives 2005-2006 » Archive through 10 March, 2006 » Looking for a LCD with Touch-Screen? « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Muenchlaender
Just joined
Username: Muenchlaender

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, 02 March, 2006 - 06:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Hi All,

I have been developing a project recently and was looking for a graphic LCD display which would allow me to draw pictures and write text without having to write too much software. Then I found this product (http://www.electronicassembly.de/eng/dip/edip.htm) which makes everything much simpler. As it is intelligent, it is possible to download .BMP files onto the display, and when you need them, just call them and tell the display the x and y co-ords of where to put them. On top of all this, some devices have an integrated touch-screen with controller.
If you have ever wanted a small graphic display for a PIC project, but never could figure out where to store all the graphic drivers, images etc. this is worth a look.
If anyone else has tried these, I'd be interested to hear from you. Or perhaps someone from EPE would like a review written????

Stuart

Riki
Regular Contributor
Username: Riki

Post Number: 44

Posted on Thursday, 02 March, 2006 - 08:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

I use a graphics lcd display .Bmp2asm will convert a BMP file constructed in Windows Paint.

(U can specify in image/attributes pixel x and y.)Save as BMP file then run bmp2asm to convert to Byte file for inclusion in PIC program as lookup table.Simple.

Only diff is if lookup table is crossing pages then adjust PCH before calling lookup table.

Bye the way Stuart how much does this intellignet display cost?

(Message edited by riki on 02 March, 2006)

John_becker
:::: Super User ::::
Username: John_becker

Post Number: 138

Posted on Thursday, 02 March, 2006 - 09:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Stuart, If your idea would be a feature article rather than constructional, email a brief outline of it to Editor Mike at HQ and we can judge if it might be suitable for publication in EPE.

John, EPE Tech Ed

Obiwan
Frequent Contributor
Username: Obiwan

Post Number: 192

Posted on Thursday, 02 March, 2006 - 06:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

I'd like to know more about costs.
And did you join just to show off this product??
You work for them I suspose??? Or sell them??

I have found that the current OLED products are a bit more expensive than their regular counterparts.

This looks nice, but also looks far out of reach of the hobbyists as far as cost is concerned.

I suspect with all the new LCD/LED/OLED/Etc.... displays that are coming out, new types of devices will be popping up all over the place.

They're coming out with flexible LED and LCD displays that I can't wait to play with.

Won't be long before the electronic newspaper is out there.

Riki, where is this bmp2asm ??? I'd like to have a copy as I have a few graphics LCDs that I plan on using in the future.

(Message edited by obiwan on 02 March, 2006)
May the Force be with (most of) you.....

Muenchlaender
Just joined
Username: Muenchlaender

Post Number: 5

Posted on Thursday, 02 March, 2006 - 08:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

I shall ignore your cheek Obiwan

I am trying to develop a highly secret project, and needed a display I could just slap on a board without writing lines and lines of graphics drivers, which may need changing if I changed the display. I am trying to build a prototype to show off to a couple of people.

I paid about 250Euro, which I think was ~160 GBP for the eDIP starter kit. This comes with a USB base board, which allows you to control the display and program it from a PC, and some software to compile various macros, scripts, fonts and BMP files you wish to use, and of course the LCD display too with touch screen.

If you want you can create a whole graphical user interface and, using the touch screen, make it all look like a completed project, without any need to connect the thing to a microcontroller. Using the macros you can get the display to do lots of things on its own (e.g. open menus) without even informing a host controller.

It comes with a few good fonts, does scaling, supports drawing button and menus etc. and, like I said before, handles the touch screen too.

Individual display costs aren't available to me at the moment. I guess you're looking at several 10's of pounds. But for the right project that has to look really professional, or has a complex user interface, this makes everything simpler. I think it would appeal to many EPE readers as you can make a PIC based project look like it is powered by a PC (well almost)!!

I am considering taking up John on his offer - perhaps you'll read more in EPE!

Obiwan
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 194

Posted on Thursday, 02 March, 2006 - 09:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

I was just asking.

I hope I do see more of it.

Obiwan
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 198

Posted on Thursday, 02 March, 2006 - 11:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

As long as we're sort of on the subject,

I would like to thank you Mr. John Becker for your article on using graphic LCD's.

I had just stumbled on the article you wrote in Feb of 2001 about the graphics LCD, the demo you created, and the one that is used in the demo for LabCenter's Proteus software.

I had been interested in that demo but didn't know there was some text that went with it.

One questoin though, in your search for data on the controler chips, did you happen to note which chips are compatible with which other chips?

I don't think I have any graphic LCDs that use the Toshiba chip, mostly Hatichi, Sharp and a couple others.

So I was wondering if the text you wrote would be more compatible with them as well (as many text controler chips are) or is it only going to be copatible in a much more general way??

If you're interested in some larger ones, allelectroncs.com has some 480 dots wide units for under $20 (on includes back light too!)

John_becker
:::: Super User ::::
Username: John_becker

Post Number: 139

Posted on Friday, 03 March, 2006 - 09:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Thanks George for the kind comments. Blood, sweat and a thousand curses went into cracking that GLCD's use! A number of people have told me they've made good use of what I said & put in the demo.

It was the Powertip PG12864 GLCD using the Toshiba T6963C controller chip. I somehow feel that cracking one GLCD's use may well have put me off having a go at other types! (Though I must admit that the larger and even colour ones seem interesting - so one day? Who knows ...) I have no idea how similar the controllers are in other GLCDs, though any GLCDs which use the same Toshiba chip will be identical in use.

I have used this GLCD a few times, including with the PIC Sudoku Game unit I've recently designed (watch out for in EPE a bit later this year). I've also remembered that I cracked how to get BMPs into the GLCD - used the technique in my World Clock of Aug 02. That too was a hassle and a lot of data-minimising was needed before the display (a world map) was acceptable. If Stuart has come up with a simpler way we could all benefit. It seems like one of the 18F PIC family might also be better at manipulating/storing the data as page boundaries are less of a problem than with the 16F family I used. I analysed the BMP in a Basic prog I'd written for the PC, ending up with lots of data which was put into the PIC as an Include (.INC) file.

May the Force be with you too :-) (Odd that no-one ever designed an electronically controlled Light Sword for home building that I know of. Seems so obvious at this moment - but a bit late in the day)

John

Obiwan
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 202

Posted on Friday, 03 March, 2006 - 09:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Here's the lowdown on how light sabers work.
http://www.howstuffworks.com/lightsaber.htm

They have a very nice little color display at sparkfun.com right now (trouble getting the breakout board for it because it's so popular). (but my work has paid off! I finaly got one!!)

It's a knockoff of a Nokia phone color display. Best of all, it's only $20!!
http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=569

After working with them a little, I can certainly understand the frustration that went into that article! I've got some older 128x128s, very nice displays, but you'd think they were made on Mars the way the data is, impossible to find and even harder to understand!

Even if I can't use everything in that article due to the chips I've got, you can rest assured that I'm getting something out of it!

And I do plan on building that board too. With the free lines on the PIC you can use it for a couple of different things.

As i wqas reading the article for "Naughts and Zeros", I was wondering why nobody had come up with a hand held game that used a graphics display. Should be able to come up with a gameboy type thing. (by that I mean handheld and programable)

Obiwan
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 229

Posted on Friday, 10 March, 2006 - 04:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Just to get your curosity up on that little color display, here's a link to a users forum, and it has some pictures of the display in action.

Not bad for a $19.00 display huh??

I just got the carrier board, so I haven't fired it up yet.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page