Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Instant On Circuit

:: EPE Chat Zone ≠:: ≠Radio Bygones Message Board :: » EPE Forum Archives 2005-2006 » Archive through 14 May, 2006 » Instant On Circuit « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Scott2734
Frequent Contributor
Username: Scott2734

Post Number: 69

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, 02 May, 2006 - 03:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

In another thread i asked about breaking a beam between a ir emitter and detector, and running the output throu a transitor to a pic pin.I got that part working, but i get a slow increase or decrease in voltage , or it will hang around one voltage on the lower half without cutting all the way off.I was wondering if anyone knows of a way to have the output from the transitor either on or off all the way without any floating voltages? This has been a challenge to me because as you know, if you move something in between the beam slowly, the voltage goes up slowly, and vise versa. i also built a op amp circuit that acts the same way. of course thats the way it is suposed to act.Any help would be thankfull.

Obiwan
Frequent Contributor
Username: Obiwan

Post Number: 455

Posted on Tuesday, 02 May, 2006 - 03:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Post a schematic.
Do Not Hit The Fly That Lands On The Tigers Head.

Scott2734
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 70

Posted on Tuesday, 02 May, 2006 - 05:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

I chose to go with the op amp circuit because it runs off of 5 volts and it seems more stable. But still have the same problem with the output voltage .whoops, i forgot to value the resistors. will do tomorrow.

beam

(Message edited by scott2734 on 02 May, 2006)

Mark
Regular Contributor
Username: Mark

Post Number: 33

Posted on Tuesday, 02 May, 2006 - 10:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Not sure about the op amp feedback arrangement, but with the right values it might be OK.
You need to follow this circuit with a Schmi(d)tt trigger circuit - use one gate of a CMOS 4093. The output will then switch cleanly.

Mark

Paul_goodson
Frequent Contributor
Username: Paul_goodson

Post Number: 383

Posted on Wednesday, 03 May, 2006 - 08:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Hi Scott
I have a circuit that shows a pre-amp operating as a Schimitt Trigger for use in a broken beam circuit.
and includes a VR to adjust the threshold output level.
If you wont it drop me an email, as I donít seem to be able up load it to the forum.

Paul

(Message edited by paul_goodson on 03 May, 2006)

Mike_b
Frequent Contributor
Username: Mike_b

Post Number: 171

Posted on Wednesday, 03 May, 2006 - 10:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Why dont you configure the opamp as a schmitt trigger - sorry I dont have the cct to hand but there are loads of examples on the net.

rgds

mb

Mark
Regular Contributor

Post Number: 38

Posted on Wednesday, 03 May, 2006 - 12:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Try a 2M2 between pins 1 and 3 to give some positive feedback. That should give schmitt trigger action. Lower the value to give more feedback if necessary.

Mark

Scott2734
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 71

Posted on Thursday, 04 May, 2006 - 03:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Thanks everybody. Mark i will try your sugestion.Wouldnt i need to take the feedback network out of pin 1 and 2 if im going to run the feedback from 1 and 3? I'm starting to learn everything in electronics is not black and white.I either want a logical 0 volts or a logical 5 volts, im learning it dont work like that.Me being picky is geting the best of me as usual lol.

Steerpike
Frequent Contributor
Username: Steerpike

Post Number: 108

Posted on Tuesday, 09 May, 2006 - 05:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

An op amp intended to work as a comparator (eg LM311) might work better than a linear amplifier type.

Grab
Frequent Contributor
Username: Grab

Post Number: 189

Posted on Wednesday, 10 May, 2006 - 09:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

If you do use a comparator, check how the output behaves. Many/most comparators have an open-collector transistor output, with the transistor turned on when the comparator switches, which is radically different from how a linear op-amp will behave. The comparator version is usually *more* useful (for starters, you get a better 0V out of it), but you need to design your circuit with this output in mind.

Graham.

Mark
Regular Contributor

Post Number: 49

Posted on Thursday, 11 May, 2006 - 10:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

You don't need to take out the negative feedback for the schmitt trigger action to work. It's a matter of getting the proportion right between the two (negative and positive) feedback paths. Trial and error is easy in this simple circuit - you can figure out the 'maths' later

Mark

Thomas
Frequent Contributor
Username: Thomas

Post Number: 94

Posted on Saturday, 13 May, 2006 - 08:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Hmmm, not sure I fully understand, but what about a 555 monstable, the trigger pin biased almost to triggering, and wire up your detector via a d.c.-blocking cap to trigger on detection? i.e. D2 and R2 remain as in your diagram, with the d.c. blocking cap from their junction to the 555 trigger pin. Thomas.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page