Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Problems with PIC 16F877A

:: EPE Chat Zone ­:: ­Radio Bygones Message Board :: » EPE Forum Archives 2005-2006 » Archive through 21 June, 2006 » Problems with PIC 16F877A « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Chris_cain
Username: Chris_cain

Post Number: 9

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, 15 June, 2006 - 06:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Hi,

was going about our business at work today when I opened a new tube of PICs that we had ordered. I didn't pay much attention to the fact that they were 16f877A's as opposed to the 16f877.

Well all hell broke lose, after trying to program one I went around 3 pc's using TK3 and all 3 were messed up afterwards. Needless to say I was using the latest version of TK3 (with the simulator - cant remember the version with XP).

Until now I have only used the 877's. to cut a long story short I was getting errors during the verify cycle. The only way I could get back to normal was to use the older version of TK3 with the 877's. We have quarentined the A's for now.

I had to go into the check PCB function to set a timing value back.

Anyone know what the hell went wrong as we lost half a days productivity!!!

Regards

Chris Cain

John_becker
:::: Super User ::::
Username: John_becker

Post Number: 398

Posted on Thursday, 15 June, 2006 - 07:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Chris, someone else upgraded TK3 for the 877A, and feedback so far confirms its suitability.
Regret I cant help further than that,but what happens for you?.

Goes to show one should check delivery notes carefully! And use suppliers who only supply what you asked for, or tell you they cant supply it.

J

Dave_g
Frequent Contributor
Username: Dave_g

Post Number: 135

Posted on Thursday, 15 June, 2006 - 08:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

I've not long completed a major project with the 877A, using TK3, no problems other than the occasional need to close TK3 and reopen it as the program became too long to work with in Notepad. This only happened on a Win98 PC, on a PC running XP no problems at all.

Chris_cain
Username: Chris_cain

Post Number: 10

Posted on Thursday, 15 June, 2006 - 11:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Thanks, John and Dave, no its really strange I've been doing a lot of 877 work lately and have had that TK3 working really well for ages without any snags but today everything went pear shaped and I still don't know why.

Apparently a similar thing happens with other 'a' series pics like the 16f628 something may be to do with the config file?

Anyway thanks again folks if I find out what it was I shall post it.

Chris Cain

Wattyei9feb
Just joined
Username: Wattyei9feb

Post Number: 1

Posted on Sunday, 18 June, 2006 - 02:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

I use ICPROG since 16F877A came out on NT4 and XP. No problem if the rs232 system driver installed in same directory.
This is details on simple programmer, either Incircuit or use a veroboard with ZIP socket & crystal and external +5V PSU.
http://www.wattystuff.net/tiki/tiki-index.php?page=PIC+In+Circuit++PROGRAMMER

Andrew
Valued Member
Username: Andrew

Post Number: 11

Posted on Sunday, 18 June, 2006 - 08:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Chris,

One thing springs to mind.
If you didn't pay much attention to the fact that they were 'A' parts, could it be that you also didn't change LIST directive in your asm file to add an A?
If you forgot to do this, then when TK3 encounters the directive, it will set the PIC configuration back to the non A settings and the verification will fail as you describe.

Note the assembly would still very probably succeed because of the great similarities between the two parts, but it will not program because after changing the config settings it will be applying the 877 algorithm to the 877A. Hence the verification failure.

Hope this helps.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page