Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Laser level

:: EPE Chat Zone ­:: ­Radio Bygones Message Board :: » EPE Forum Archives 2005-2006 » Archive through 21 June, 2006 » Laser level « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mel
Username: Mel

Post Number: 10

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, 17 June, 2006 - 12:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Hello All
I have just brought a really cheap laser leveller. The sort that shines a straight line on to walls etc. specs are: - wavelength 625-270nm operating at 3volt DC.
I can see potential for using this in other projects & was wondering as to whether anybody else has any experience with these, or knows of any websites that might be out there. I was particularly interested in how long they will last if operated continuously or pulsed.
Mel

Mike_b
Frequent Contributor
Username: Mike_b

Post Number: 213

Posted on Sunday, 18 June, 2006 - 04:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

I have carried out tests shining one at a general purpose IR phototransistor.

The transisotor went mad, very heavily saturating. I reckon it would detect the laser at a great distance, but I havent got around to checking this.

I have used mine for about 3 years and it shows no signs of failing.

rgds

mb

Obiwan
Frequent Contributor
Username: Obiwan

Post Number: 542

Posted on Monday, 19 June, 2006 - 02:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

If you don't abuse them, they should last as long as you do, 100,000 hours or so. (Check some manufacturers sites). They're basically just regular LED's.

Physical configuration is a bit different, but "basically" the same thing.

If you want to go distance, you need better lenses. Or at least something that you can focus. Most are pre-focused with a ball lens, and focused for "fairly" short distances.

The actual beam output is more like a flat bar. Without a lens, if you shined it on a wall, you'd see a bar shape. And of course, the further back you were from the wall, the longer and fatter that bar is going to be.

Now the tube LASERS are not like that, since they're built from a glass tube filled with some sort of gas (normally Helium Neon for the red) their shape is naturally round.

(actually, it's sort of a tube within a tube. The inner tube is a thicker glass tube with a very small hole down it's length, this determines the size of the beam to start with. That tube is inside of another larger tube that acts like a resivoir of gas. And at the ends of the smaller tube are the mirrors.)

But with LED's, you have a flat piece of slicon, and another on top of that. The LASER light is actually coming out of the SIDE of that chip, NOT from the surface. The sides are actually mirrors. And because it's exiting from that "sandwich" it's sort of flat looking.

Actually more like a squashed oval.

Some of those LASER pointers you can take apart and focus yourself.

(And LASER is an acryonymn, so it should be in all capitals, just FYI....)
Do Not Hit The Fly That Lands On The Tigers Head.

Poriet
Frequent Contributor
Username: Poriet

Post Number: 71

Posted on Monday, 19 June, 2006 - 05:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Hi,
I dont understand the spec. 625-270nm
Arent these lasers giving out red light?
With that spec it should look white, surely.
Regards
P.

Mel
Valued Member
Username: Mel

Post Number: 11

Posted on Monday, 19 June, 2006 - 06:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

My Mistake .....Sorry Folks!
Should read 625-670nm

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page