Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Electromechanical Dot Matrix Displays

:: EPE Chat Zone ­:: ­Radio Bygones Message Board :: » EPE Forum Archives 2005-2006 » Archive through 25 June, 2006 » Electromechanical Dot Matrix Displays « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Sounded_simple
Frequent Contributor
Username: Sounded_simple

Post Number: 132

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, 20 June, 2006 - 01:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Hi All,

Does anyone have any pointers where I could buy display modules similar to that shown in the attached picture?
They are similar in style to the bodet digits as used in a past EPE project.

Scoreboard

Externet
Frequent Contributor
Username: Externet

Post Number: 65

Posted on Tuesday, 20 June, 2006 - 05:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Hi.
Sorry to be of partial help, but I have the brochure at home and am not there now; the manufacturer is Canadian; keywords are [magnetic flip disk sign]
It is elusive to find on the net.
Miguel

David_ledgard
Regular Contributor
Username: David_ledgard

Post Number: 34

Posted on Wednesday, 21 June, 2006 - 01:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

I bought a cheap second hand one from Greenweld in 1996. With power supply. But it was a lot smaller. Some guy had designed a programme to run it from a PC. Through the RS-232 serial port (the same one used by printers and modems before USB), I think? He was most helpful in telling me how to get it working. It could scroll in red, green, and yellow; and flash. Most of the units were sold to an airport for a customer information display. It was very complicated with a lot of chips. I doubt they have any left now.

Externet
Frequent Contributor
Username: Externet

Post Number: 66

Posted on Wednesday, 21 June, 2006 - 02:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Hi. Got home.
Sounded simple, but it's not. For some reason this manufacturer does not show in search engines; it is FP Electronics:
http://www.fpelectronics.com/markiv/idsys.nsf
Enjoy,
Miguel

Sounded_simple
Frequent Contributor
Username: Sounded_simple

Post Number: 133

Posted on Wednesday, 21 June, 2006 - 08:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Thanks guys.
Its a stange one, I must have spent an hour googling and drew a blank.
Thats just what im looking for Miguel.

David_ledgard
Regular Contributor
Username: David_ledgard

Post Number: 41

Posted on Friday, 23 June, 2006 - 10:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Just found this on eBay:

6 digit scrolling LED dot matrix display.

"LED SIGN SCROLLING MATRIX DISPLAY DIY PCB - 2 PCS"

http://search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQfrppZ25QQsassZdisplayQ5felectronics

for Second Hand parts traders:
http://www.distel.co.uk/

They also have suplus British Rail Platform Clocks for sale, run by PC or PIC.

John_becker
:::: Super User ::::
Username: John_becker

Post Number: 422

Posted on Saturday, 24 June, 2006 - 01:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

On a smaller scale to what SS is actually after, I am still working on a giant LED moving message display, using 2-inch high dot matrix LED modules, and a PIC to drive each module under control of a master PIC. Can have from 4 to 128 LED modules. Does moving message, static message, graphics & animation. Nearly at the final stages and shall soon write the text for Mike to publish in EPE.

The electromechanical displays I quoted a UK source for 2nd hand ex British rail ones when I did a PIC control design for them. Dont have the info to hand, but I can check through HQ if anyone asks me via this thread.

J

Philwarn
Valued Member
Username: Philwarn

Post Number: 15

Posted on Saturday, 24 June, 2006 - 08:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

John,

I think you will find that the construction article used the ex BR ones and that Display Electronics (close to Crystal Palace FC ground in Whitehores Road, Thornton 'eath) as David L quotes (above) were the supplier. Their details in any EPE issue as they are regular advertisers. I went there once from Orpington but feel their Hard Disk Drives are well over-priced! <vbg> They also used to "do" rack cabinets, etc.

Your article about giant moving message display I look forward to. Ideal for a message to a car driver too close to one's boot? <vbg>

HTH

Phil, Orpington

John_becker
:::: Super User ::::
Username: John_becker

Post Number: 423

Posted on Saturday, 24 June, 2006 - 10:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Thanks Phil, yes it was Display Electronics. Very nice and helpful people they were when I did that article. It hadn't clicked that they are the same as Distel as mentioned by David, so thanks to David too :-)

Nice idea about my message display in the back of cars, far too many people drive too close, especially women drivers in 4x4s round here I find. Pity is such vehicle use of displays is illegal, a point which maybe I should mention when writing the article. I think the law prevents any illuminated message being displayed, unless it's in a police vehicle! So it seems like simply flashing lights to thanks others is theoretically illegal, although we all do it. Perhaps someone would care to clarify this??

J

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page