Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Grumpy old Man

:: EPE Chat Zone ≠:: ≠Radio Bygones Message Board :: » EPE Forum Archives 2005-2006 » Archive through 17 July, 2006 » Grumpy old Man « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mike_b
Frequent Contributor
Username: Mike_b

Post Number: 229

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, 03 July, 2006 - 10:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Im not a GOM, honest ... but am I the only person that thinks some things are too stupid for words ... ie ..

1. We have the technology to encase say 100,000 transistors into a PIC, yet we dont have the technology to print the device number on the case in large, clear, white, surefast lettering that does not rub off? WHY?

2. The colours on the new 5 colour resistors all look the same. WHY?

3. My soldering iron and bit no longer appears to actually melt solder ... it seems to think about if for a while and then finally decides to melt. WHY?

4. Search engines are kindly provided by suppliers to help you look up a part .... in my experience, they never seem to find anything remotely close to what I have asked for ... and I know its in there. WHY?

Any further additions to the list?

rgds

mb

Zeitghost
Frequent Contributor
Username: Zeitghost

Post Number: 251

Posted on Monday, 03 July, 2006 - 11:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

1. Why is this a subthread?

2. Why are components now so small that they don't print anything on them at all (0402 resistors).

3. What clown thought up lead free solder & why hasn't he been given concrete galoshes?

4. Why are all 6 band resistors blue so that you can't tell one colour from another?

Sounded_simple
Frequent Contributor
Username: Sounded_simple

Post Number: 139

Posted on Monday, 03 July, 2006 - 06:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

(1) Why when I search for an exact IC part no. on the manufacturers website (ST, Motorola etc.)do I get "NO RESULTS"

(2) Why do people bring PCBs to my repair shop with no circuit diagram, no notes on the connections in / out, no deal description of the problem and no physical damage?

(3) Why do the same people spend ages staring at the same PCB I have just spent an hour checking? Do they expect that they will suddenly gain some magical electronic knowledge and better still, be able to apply this new knowledge without test equipment.

(4) Why do RS & Farnell send everything next day except when you really really need it! (sods law)

(5) Where do undelivered emails go?

(6) Why do RS sales reps come round all the time with nothing to say except that they dont do discounts for less than 100,000,000.00 pieces (and then only 5%)

(7) Why dont I make back ups or save work on a regular basis.

(8) Why dont we all just ignore ROHS?

(9) Why do cable numbers on multicores last about 5 seconds after they are stripped?

(Message edited by sounded_simple on 03 July, 2006)

Paul_goodson
Frequent Contributor
Username: Paul_goodson

Post Number: 462

Posted on Monday, 03 July, 2006 - 08:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Why have a moan on my sub-thread

Mind you I have to agree with what you are all moaning about.

Paul

PS

Why isnít my scope here yet

Amr_bekhit
Frequent Contributor
Username: Amr_bekhit

Post Number: 218

Posted on Monday, 03 July, 2006 - 10:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Hmm--I'm going to attempt to reply at a few of these gripes:

@Mike_B 3)Maybe it's dirty? Or the special coating, or whatever they put on top has worn off from all those wipes on a damp sponge...

@Zeitghost 2) What's WRONG with lead free solder?! I heard so many people moan about, that I went to Maplins to go get several reels of lead/tin solder in fear of what I heard. They didn't have any left, so I bought the lead free stuff, and have been using it since. I'm guessing it's the soldering iron people use. Maybe it's time to change irons?

@Sounded_Simple 1) I guess the reason being is that it's too specific a search--I'd reason that manufacturers write one datasheet for a particular base class of IC, for example, the PIC16F628A. Other variations will fall under the same datasheet, but instead of releasing many datasheets, they release a base which caters for all.

@Sounded_Simple 5)That's an interesting one--I overheard a similar story in the post office once. A chap was talking about how he sent a letter once, but had put the incorrect postage on. Instead of returning the letter back to the sender (he pointed out he wrote the sender address on the back), the post office decided to detain the letter for 5 weeks, then send it!!

I have to agree with all the resistor gripes, and especially Mike_B's first one!

Mike_b
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 230

Posted on Tuesday, 04 July, 2006 - 12:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Paul ... sorry .. I goofed .... Why do people do this you must be thinking ...

rgds

mb

Zeitghost
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 255

Posted on Tuesday, 04 July, 2006 - 02:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

We do it coz we're Grumpy Old Men...

Sounded_simple
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 140

Posted on Tuesday, 04 July, 2006 - 04:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Dont suppose we could get this moved to main forum? Id love to see who is the most grumpy!
Maybe mike_b could contact alan?

John_becker
:::: Super User ::::
Username: John_becker

Post Number: 469

Posted on Tuesday, 04 July, 2006 - 05:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

I'm currently chatting with Alan about something else. I'll ask him.

J

Paul_goodson
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 465

Posted on Tuesday, 04 July, 2006 - 05:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

No problem Mike B

Its a mistake any two year old could make

Oh and I have done it too!!!!!!!

Paul

Mike_b
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 231

Posted on Tuesday, 04 July, 2006 - 06:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Thanks all ...

rgds

mb (2 years old, pushing 50)

Grab
Frequent Contributor
Username: Grab

Post Number: 224

Posted on Tuesday, 04 July, 2006 - 06:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Mike, you have a component that's 1/4"x1/4", and you want large lettering on it?! I think that'd limit you to 36 types of chip ever - no room for more than one letter/number on there in large text! Unless we start using Chinese symbols to denote chips of course, in which case (a) there's still not going to be enough room to draw it clearly on an 8-pin DIP and (b) your search engine woes are only just beginning... ;-)

Rapid have just annoyed me though by sending me some chunkynormous capacitors when I'd ordered miniature ones. "Oh I'm sorry, it looks like our supplier sent us the wrong parts. No we can't tell you when we'll get more in, but it could be months. Would you like to send them back for a refund?" Well no thanks, I actually need the sodding things in that value and I'd like my circuit built sometime this year, so if I have to make do with capacitors the size of my thumb instead of the size of my little finger nail then so be it. But if your goods inward people had checked them when they arrived then we wouldn't be here, would we? Grrr...

Oh yes, and here's a good one. Copper is designed to be soldered to, right? What pillock thought up the idea of glueing it to the fibreglass underneath with a glue that melts at *less* than soldering iron temperature?

Graham.

(I'm a grumpy young man, but I'm working on it a day at a time... ;-)

Steerpike
Frequent Contributor
Username: Steerpike

Post Number: 123

Posted on Tuesday, 04 July, 2006 - 11:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Ummm. i don't think copper was 'designed' for anything particular... it just sort of came into being.

Petelobus
Frequent Contributor
Username: Petelobus

Post Number: 152

Posted on Wednesday, 05 July, 2006 - 10:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Guess you've covered most of my grumpyness here, EXCEPT why does my PC take longer to boot when I'm in a hurry, and when it has booted, decide to crash? And then when I've got the ***** thing to go the website I want to see is slow/down. Is it my personality disorder, or the PC's?

Ian

Violin_m
Frequent Contributor
Username: Violin_m

Post Number: 71

Posted on Wednesday, 05 July, 2006 - 10:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

-- Why does everyone think Iím a charity when it comes to repairing their broken down old stuff??? Violin.

Sounded_simple
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 143

Posted on Wednesday, 05 July, 2006 - 03:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Why do PCs go slower when your on the phone and looking for information for someone?

Paul_goodson
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 467

Posted on Wednesday, 05 July, 2006 - 04:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Why are there more questions than answers?

Zeitghost
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 258

Posted on Wednesday, 05 July, 2006 - 04:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Why does a 3GHz pc with WinXp run at the same speed as a 20MHz 286 with Win3?

John_becker

Post Number: 472

Posted on Wednesday, 05 July, 2006 - 07:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

That's just life Paul --- :-)

J

Paul_goodson
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 469

Posted on Wednesday, 05 July, 2006 - 07:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Very true John

But I guess when you stop asking questions you stop living.

Its just a shame I cant answer too many of them

Paul

Epithumia
Valued Member
Username: Epithumia

Post Number: 18

Posted on Wednesday, 05 July, 2006 - 08:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

1) When I send a document to the office printer, how is it possible for me to walk to the printer before the electrons get there?

2) How does it know to start printing as soon as I start walking away?

3) What part of 'print on A3 paper' doesn't it understand?

4) We're all asking for prints on A4 paper with automatic tray selection. The printer has five A4 paper trays. All have been filled (often with some force). So why is the printer asking us to 'load paper'?

Mike_b
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 232

Posted on Wednesday, 05 July, 2006 - 08:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

An excellent selection of GOM (even including the Webmaster) .... makes me feel quite laid back now ...

rgds

mb

Alan_jones
Frequent Contributor
Username: Alan_jones

Post Number: 111

Posted on Wednesday, 05 July, 2006 - 08:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Why didn't I buy those Maplin audio kits when I had the chance (ie while they still produced them), instead of saying they will make nice projects for when I retire - I'll buy them then?

Definitely a GOM as far as Maplin's is concerned and I don't think I'll be alone!

Micro82
Frequent Contributor
Username: Micro82

Post Number: 57

Posted on Wednesday, 05 July, 2006 - 10:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Can't disagree with you there Alan,

I surprised that maplin have any stock in store at all.

It always amuses me when I go into my local Maplin store and enquire about a part that I'm looking for,

1) The staff member knows nothing about electronics or about anything that Maplin deals with.

2) When they do, the part that I'm looking for is out of stock, been discontinued or they just don't have a clue.

When the part is available they donít have one but can get be one sometime in the next YEAR!!!!

By this point I could have shipped one half way round the world and got it quicker.

Why do these people bother? Itís beyond me.

Pete

Zeitghost
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 260

Posted on Thursday, 06 July, 2006 - 08:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Why do people think that Maplin is an electronics components store any more?

Rather than a bog standard retailer of far eastern tat... <grump>

Petelobus
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 153

Posted on Thursday, 06 July, 2006 - 08:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Maplin ok when you are desperate, and they've got the bit. Otherwise the store, staff and website are not of the highest quality!

On the subject of websites, why do most of the major component suppliers have such useless search engines? Often I have to look in the (paper) catalogue, get the part number, and type it in to get the site to find the bit. When I've done this, Lo its there!

Ian

Dsaint
Frequent Contributor
Username: Dsaint

Post Number: 101

Posted on Thursday, 06 July, 2006 - 08:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Maplin seems like a cheating copy of Argos!

:P
dSaINt}S{ - interests electronics,control,broadcast,circuit design

Alan_jones
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 114

Posted on Thursday, 06 July, 2006 - 10:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

On the subject of websites, why do some webmasters insist on using pretty coloured fonts, with very poor contrast to the background? Farnell's website in particular is poor in this respect. As I get older and my eyesight gets poorer I need a better contrast to enable me to see the site properly. Fortunately, Microsoft has a useful tool called magnifier which is a help.

Dsaint
Frequent Contributor
Username: Dsaint

Post Number: 102

Posted on Thursday, 06 July, 2006 - 10:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

that is quite a good complaint - against webdesign gurus, which simple they dont know the rules of legibitlity or worse the rules of colour setup i find various site around which are not done by professionals but their simplicity simply commands legibiltiy.

Therefore Commerce sites should be the first one to adopt a good legibilty policy - else their sales would be damaged = Farnell why dont you?
dSaINt}S{ - interests electronics,control,broadcast,circuit design

Mike_b
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 233

Posted on Thursday, 06 July, 2006 - 10:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Oh and .... WHY do RS and Maplin keep a comprehensive and up-to-date list of discontinued items - very frustrating.

I must offer a small defense for Maplin.

There is no question that they are getting out of the electronic components business. I only do mail order, but some items are cheap, they are in stock when they say they are and they are always deliverd to me very quickly - normally next day.

The trouble is that they are constantly reducing their range. I note that their nuts and bolts holding has just been slashed.

rgds

mb

Sounded_simple
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 145

Posted on Thursday, 06 July, 2006 - 01:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Why do some websites have flash intros?
Have you ever been impressed by a flash intro?
Or like me are you ject a bit annoyed that they have stolen a few seconds you will never get back.

Has anyone ever watched an entire intro without pressing "Skip Intro"

On another point has anyone ever read the agreement that you have to "accept" before installing software? Just think what microsoft could have sneaked in there! I bet they could make us all sign over our homes and no-one would ever realise.

How come suppliers can get the invoice to me before the goods arrive?

Wizard
Valued Member
Username: Wizard

Post Number: 16

Posted on Thursday, 06 July, 2006 - 02:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

One of the girls that used to work in our office was convinced that the photocopier had a built in 'emotion detector'.

Normally the copier would sit there quite benignly in the corner humming away to itself.

However, if she was in a hurry or had a lot of copying to do it would immediately fail - jam the paper, fail to feed correctly etc.

She was convinced it knew her mental state.

Mikehibbett
Frequent Contributor
Username: Mikehibbett

Post Number: 478

Posted on Thursday, 06 July, 2006 - 02:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

>How come suppliers can get the invoice to me before the goods arrive?

And why is it that I never get the correct parts with an incorrect invoice, but often the other way round? ( Thanks Farnell!! )
-----
www.drivesentinel.co.uk - Home build GPS Speed Camera Detectors

Zeitghost
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 263

Posted on Thursday, 06 July, 2006 - 02:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

And why are all my favourite processors (such as the late lamented HD6303) obsolete?

Armadillo
Frequent Contributor
Username: Armadillo

Post Number: 111

Posted on Thursday, 06 July, 2006 - 03:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

And why do web sites insist on high definition pictures that take forever to download with Dial Up and when I eventually get them they're of no interest whatsoever
There's no such thing as gravity..........
The earth sucks!

Thomass
Regular Contributor
Username: Thomass

Post Number: 41

Posted on Thursday, 06 July, 2006 - 04:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

UPS GRRRRRRRRRRR, I placed an order with Farnell recently and UPS in their wisdom delivered it to the wrong person so Farnell sent it again on a Saturday delivery which arrived then the original package turned up as well.

Don't even get me started on Maplin who are moving to new big shiny stores but seemed to have lost the plot along the way.

Alan_jones
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 115

Posted on Thursday, 06 July, 2006 - 05:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Did you have to pay twice Thomass? Or did you end up with two lots of components for the price of one? If you think that Farnell might read this, you don't have to answer!

John_becker

Post Number: 479

Posted on Friday, 07 July, 2006 - 12:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Me, just too many gripes as I get older (Mike H knows one or two recent ones for me!!) - but that too is life. But so too is enjoying it all anyway :-)

Thomass
Regular Contributor

Post Number: 45

Posted on Friday, 07 July, 2006 - 10:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Hi Alan

I was charged twice as Farnell had to take payment for the order which was re-sent. I sent the original order back after it turned up and Farnell refunded me.

Paul_goodson
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 472

Posted on Friday, 07 July, 2006 - 03:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Sorry to say this but after many good years using Maplin

They are now as much good to me as a chocolate fire guard
(Tandy the 2nd)

Paul

Mikehibbett
Frequent Contributor
Username: Mikehibbett

Post Number: 480

Posted on Friday, 07 July, 2006 - 04:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Ah, Tandy.

remember the days when they insisted for your name and address 'for the receipt', even when you bought a 5p resisor and were illegally parked?

I was unlucky enough to work in an electronics shop with a Tandy franchise, many years ago (ok, 26 years ago). Tandy *insisted* we at least asked the question for every purchase. I could write a book from the comments I got back :o)
-----
www.drivesentinel.co.uk - Home build GPS Speed Camera Detectors

Thomass
Regular Contributor

Post Number: 49

Posted on Friday, 07 July, 2006 - 04:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

I should know as I used work there, I agree seems they are slowly turning into another Tandy tat shop.

Alan_jones
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 116

Posted on Friday, 07 July, 2006 - 04:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Ah Tandy's! The shop where you could sometimes find an absolute bargain (such as the National Semiconductor's Audio Handbook - mine has disintegrated into individual pages after years of study and is waiting for me to find the time, inclination and energy to scan it onto a CDROM) and get fleeced for their resistors in a 5 pack sealed container. 5p per carbon composite 1/4 watt 10% resistor as I recall, when Maplin's were charging 1p for a 0.6 watt 1% metal oxide resistor.

The number of times I saw people go into a Tandy's shop look around and come out without buying anything....

No wonder they went belly up. Maplin's should watch out.

(Message edited by Alan_Jones on 07 July, 2006)

Violin_m
Frequent Contributor
Username: Violin_m

Post Number: 72

Posted on Friday, 07 July, 2006 - 06:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Yes, Tandy. Donít I remember it well? - In my hometown, I bought loads and loads of items from there. Meters, Tools and components, a extremely useful digital electronic book, only for 50p, as well amps and mixers etc, for my music. All this at giveaway prices, in there closing down sale. - I think I was very lucky that I caught them at the right time of closing down. I was there first thing in the morning collecting, by the end of the day the shop been practically cleared of stock. I think the bulk of it form me. The tool, meter and component side, helped me very much get back into electronics, after having a bit of break from it.
Iím afraid I have nothing grumpy to say about Tandyís, only Thanks. Violin.

Paul_goodson
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 474

Posted on Friday, 07 July, 2006 - 06:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

I donít mean to knock Tandy Or Maplin

It was actually a trip to Tandy
Where I picked up an old green book on electronics more like a jotter really and from reading that played a big part in getting me in to electronic.

Itís just a Shame they have both drifted from the type of store they once where

Paul

Arw
Board Administrator
Username: Arw

Post Number: 276

Posted on Friday, 07 July, 2006 - 08:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

On the other hand the hobby has changed out of all recognition, and there is no money to be made in stocking, sorting and selling e.g. resistors that have less intrinsic value than old bottle tops.

Maplin's progression to where they are heading today, is entirely predictable - there are far more higher-margin techie toys available to sell today, and nowhere else on the High Street selling them, so they are creating their own retail market. It would never have been possible to build up a retail chain than only sold electronic components, the logistics would have been a nightmare and the demand would have been highly limited. Can't imagine Mums and Dads queueing up to buy PIC programmers, but they do buy bits for their satellite setup or toys for the kids.

According to an inside contact of mine, Farnell were looking at buying Maplin at one stage. They now own CPC instead (http://www.cpc.co.uk).

The demise of Tandy/ Radio Shack was well documented at the time. Lack of demand and seriously expensive retail prices didn't help. I think Maplin will be successful where Tandy/ Radio Shack failed, but they still have a long way to go in getting own-label products sorted out.

(Message edited by arw on 07 July, 2006)

Mike_b
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 234

Posted on Saturday, 08 July, 2006 - 09:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Arw ... agreed.

Also, mail order was not really developed in a big way. Now, if I really need a part I cant find, I think of nothing to place an order for a specific item from the USA. The internet has also changed things on the retail sector, of course.

Therein perhaps might be our salvation.

It might just be that the lower overheads of mail order combined with internet ordering might just ensure the margins are large enough to attract stockists .... otherwise I can only see our hobby being starved (or priced) to extinction ...

rgds

mb

Petelobus
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 154

Posted on Monday, 10 July, 2006 - 08:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

I agree with Mike and ARW. If I want a component there is no way I'd consider driving 20 miles to my local city (Norwich), with all the attendant difficulties in parking, when I can pick up the phone, or turn on the computer (yes and wait for ever while it boots, but even thats not as long as it takes to drive to Norwich), and the stuff will be here tomorrow, normally. Mail order has improved so much from when I started in the 1970's, when I had to find a catalogue (perhaps pay for it too), select what I wanted, go to the Post Office and buy a Postal Order, send the whole lot off, and wait for a fortnight to be told it was out of stock. Hence the local electronic stockist was an essential. Most places repaired TV's etc, so kept a stock of stuff for that, which they'd normally sell.

In this way times have changed (at least for me) for the better. I do miss browsing in the local surplus store though. Think that they must be further down the road to extinction than the local electronics store?

Not quite so grumpy this time?

Ian

Epithumia
Regular Contributor

Post Number: 22

Posted on Monday, 10 July, 2006 - 09:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Grumpy start to Monday morning.

Friday evening I shut down my works computer for the weekend - help keep the office cool - help save the planet.

This morning I find that the shutdown process stopped halfway through to ask a question. The computer's been sat there for 2 1/2 days burning up electricity and wondering whether I want to shut down a process.

Yes! That's why I clicked SHUT DOWN! Grrr.

(Pictures Yosemite Sam running ahead of a camel, wacking it on the head and yelling "When I say whoa, I mean whoa!")

Arw
Board Administrator
Username: Arw

Post Number: 278

Posted on Monday, 10 July, 2006 - 11:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

A customer of mine, who lives deep in the English countryside, received a notice from the electricity supply company that they would be working on the pylons and his power would be disconnected for a time. So he shut down his PC and went out for the day.

When he returned, he found his PC wouldn't boot up at all, and the hard disk had crashed. Turned out that he hadn't actually powered it down properly before he went out. Meantime the power supply had (as promised) been on and off all day, doubtless with spikes galore. This crashed his still-active PC and trashed the motherboard (letting the smoke out of the BIOS) and hard drive....

Which is why my own motherboards have twin BIOS chips (AOpen DieHard).

So the motto is to always ensure a PC shuts down properly, and of course never believe it when a Windows PC is telling you it's 'shutting down'.

Armadillo
Frequent Contributor
Username: Armadillo

Post Number: 113

Posted on Monday, 10 July, 2006 - 11:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

No. The answer is don't just shut it down - TURN IT OFF. That way way you'll save a bit more power.
There's no such thing as gravity..........
The earth sucks!

Zeitghost
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 267

Posted on Monday, 10 July, 2006 - 12:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Paying for Maplin catalogues... <grump>

I've still got several of the mid to late 90's Maplin catalogues.

Just to confirm what we've lost...

And all the local electronic surplus emporia have disappeared...

<grump, grump, grump>

(Message edited by zeitghost on 10 July, 2006)

Alan_jones
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 117

Posted on Monday, 10 July, 2006 - 12:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Any chance of copies of the audio projects pages?

Epithumia
Regular Contributor

Post Number: 23

Posted on Monday, 10 July, 2006 - 01:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Armadillo wrote: The answer is don't just shut it down - TURN IT OFF. That way way you'll save a bit more power.

That's what I do at home - shut down and turn off at the mains. At work the power outlet is under the desk, and I risk cracking my skull every time I crawl under there.

Zeitghost
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 270

Posted on Monday, 10 July, 2006 - 02:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

"Any chance of copies of the audio projects pages?"

And breach their copyright, heaven forfend...

Alan_jones
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 118

Posted on Monday, 10 July, 2006 - 05:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Well, I thought I'd ask.

Alan_jones
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 119

Posted on Tuesday, 11 July, 2006 - 02:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Hi Zeitghost. I have replied to your email, but it might only get as far as the web. I found that I could not reply direct as you don't have this set up in your profile.

Zeitghost
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 274

Posted on Tuesday, 11 July, 2006 - 02:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

pm thing ought to work now :-O

Mike_b
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 237

Posted on Tuesday, 11 July, 2006 - 10:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Oh ... I must say I had forgotten the days of walking around the ex-government stores in London when I was 12 or so ...... total bliss ..... suddenly finding a crystal that could be used in my 2m converter ... ohhhhh the joy ....

Was it Lyle St. or something like that?

rgds

mb

John_becker

Post Number: 499

Posted on Wednesday, 12 July, 2006 - 12:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Well there was Proops in Tottenham Court for a start, and 2 or 3 shops by the name of Smith with different initials in Lisle Steet. All gone now. I spent many a happy day there, and Henry's and another Smith down the Edgware Road near where I lived them. Ah! Memories :-)

Philwarn
Valued Member
Username: Philwarn

Post Number: 16

Posted on Wednesday, 12 July, 2006 - 01:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

John,

Henrys Radio seem to go on in one form or another. Now known as Henrys Electronics and giving their address as "Untied Kingdom" according to their web site! Still in the Edgware Road near the fly over.

http://www.henrys.co.uk/shopinfo.htm

Phil

Eagre
Frequent Contributor
Username: Eagre

Post Number: 76

Posted on Wednesday, 12 July, 2006 - 04:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Another question: why does it cost 18BP to ship a 2 oz package from the UK to the USA (e.g. RS)? It is far cheaper from Oz or Singapore.

Ed

Zeitghost
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 275

Posted on Wednesday, 12 July, 2006 - 08:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

I found a 'scope from Henry's Radio in the Instrument store in work...

Not a very impressive piece of kit really.

It did work, sort of, but had obviously had a hard life.

Alan_jones
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 120

Posted on Wednesday, 12 July, 2006 - 02:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

There was also Lasky's radio (several shops in Tottenham Court Road). It used to be worth travelling to London on a cheap day return, with a shopping list, to visit Edgware Road and Tottenham Court Road, stopping off at HMV in Oxford Street. I would come home with shopping bags crammed with goodies and blissfully listen to the records on the current HiFi system while I was building the next. I haven't been to the Edgware Road for at least ten years - when Henry's Radio (the one shop left of the group) still sold some components, mostly from rummage boxes at the back of the store. Happy days.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page