Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Mystery Device

:: EPE Chat Zone ­:: ­Radio Bygones Message Board :: » EPE Forum Archives 2005-2006 » Archive through 17 July, 2006 » Mystery Device « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Grandad_fixit
Just joined
Username: Grandad_fixit

Post Number: 4

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, 12 July, 2006 - 11:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Hi Folks, I normally pride myself on my perseverance at searching for part Nos but this one has got me stumped.

I promised to have a look at a Stannah stairlift for a neighbour. I expect its a motor or limit switch problem (as the symptoms he described) but the neighbours husband had taken the two pcb's out of the chassis for me to look at??? (he had been suprisingly careful and marked the connections etc).

So before I look at it tommorrow I looked over the boards for the obvious and did a few unpowered tests. I thought I would download the data sheets of the two TO-220 3-pin devices in case I needed to do any dynamic measurements tomorrow.

The first was an IR4905 and second was ST 30H233

I had downloaded the Internetional Rectifier data sheet, printed and stapled it and was reading it before the ST site had loaded (Damn graphics), when it did there was no record for the "233" device even using different combo's of wild cards.

I have tried other data sheet sites with no joy and google only gives one hit with no relevance.

I still believe I will find the fault in the "mechanics" of the stairlift but I am interested in what this device (ST 30H233) really is, and why there is no data for it.

Looking from the coded front view tab up the right hand leg is connect directly to the battery negative via a 0R1 power resistor and a substantial track, whilst legs left and middle have fairly low current tracks connected to a mesh of sm resistors. The tabs of both devices are isolated from the heatsink.

I have followed the tracks around the FET (4905)and as expected from the battery it feeds heavy copper routes to the motor via crossover relays.

Considering this is a relatively simple machine in terms of task it is required to perform, the controller is based on a PIC 16C738 running @ 4MHz, and a general appraisal would appear it is capable of calculating the weight of my neighbour and accelerating her to escape velocity for a holiday on the ISS.

Long winded, I know and I'm sorry, but just wandering if Stannah have commissioned ST to develop a super conductor driver chip that its keeping under wraps for Virgin holidays in space.

Well if so It's an ST 30H233, but how do we use it????????????????

Thanks to anyone taking the time to answer this trivialaity/ driviality.

Kindest regards
GF

Obiwan
Frequent Contributor
Username: Obiwan

Post Number: 581

Posted on Thursday, 13 July, 2006 - 01:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Could be a custom part. Not all that uncommon, they buy a batch and put their number on it, or have it re-marked so people can't go futzing with their stuff. More common to re-mark up the chips.

Could also be a part from some place like China, over stocked then maybe re-marked.

Could also be a company that no longer exists and their parts never got cross ref'ed.

Hard to say.

Sad, but it's getting harder and harder to locate parts now.

I remember the ST logo, but I can't remember the name of the company.
Do Not Hit The Fly That Lands On The Tigers Head.

Grandad_fixit
Just joined

Post Number: 5

Posted on Thursday, 13 July, 2006 - 02:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Hi Obiwan,
Thanks for the interest.
It is the proper logo as used by Singapore Technologies, I to have known the logo for years but only tonight (last night....Yawn) discovered the proper name.

There is no evidence of tampering with the original logo as some 2nd line companies do.

Since posting the question I have managed to download a cct diagram the next model up and although a different component number is shown (i.e. Q1 instead of Q6)it seems to agree with the pcb. ST 30H233 is shown as an FET in a similar config to the other one (4095)but if it was that simple, surely they would use the same device in both applications.

As I suspected there are dozens of micro switches that I will have to test with a long lead "buzzer" 'cos of the stairs aspect.
After studying the diagram for a while it is fairly straight forward as most of the switches need to be closed for anything to happen

Just out of interest there are only five connections that go "off page" to the PIC.
and these cover the speed, direction and braking of the motor. the brake is run thro' the ST device in question.

Thanks Obiwan,

I bet you all feel I am going too far and I will tell you all, tomorrow, which switch was faulty.

However It has taught me a lot about stairlifts just studying the cct diagram so if anybody has a similar problem in the furure I AM THE MAN, hah hah hah.

Regards
GF

Zeitghost
Frequent Contributor
Username: Zeitghost

Post Number: 279

Posted on Thursday, 13 July, 2006 - 08:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Interesting.

ST normally stands for ST Microelectronics.

Sounded_simple
Frequent Contributor
Username: Sounded_simple

Post Number: 146

Posted on Thursday, 13 July, 2006 - 09:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

In my repair experience the majority of power switching devices (and I think this is one judging by the heavy track) dont fail without some sort of physical damage.
Peak electronics do a really neat component tester which can identify the type (and check if they are working) of unknown 3-Pin ICs, I find it useful in these situations.
Best price is to go direct or through rapid. You can google easily for peak electronics.

Darren
Frequent Contributor
Username: Darren

Post Number: 120

Posted on Thursday, 13 July, 2006 - 10:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Hi GF,
The closest match I could find is a STPS30H100C made by ST Microelectronics, and perhaps as previously mentioned, your part is a custom version of this part or one with (just guessing by the numbers) higher voltage or current rating - the STPS30H100C is a 'high voltage power schottky rectifier' and ST also has a STPS30H60C listed as a 'power schottky rectifier'.
Hope this may shed some light on the problem.
Regards,
Darren

Vk3kbr
Frequent Contributor
Username: Vk3kbr

Post Number: 95

Posted on Thursday, 13 July, 2006 - 02:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

G'day all,
I looked under Google for "IR4905".
Found reference to it under "Part Miner", obviously a firm somewhere.

Hope this is of some help.
Regards,
Rod vk3kbr

Grandad_fixit

Post Number: 6

Posted on Thursday, 13 July, 2006 - 04:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Hi Folks,
Not wishing to offend anyone, I think I've misled 1 or 2 of you

Zeitghost,
When I googled ST one of the first hits was Singapore Technologies electronics and I assumed it was the same firm, but upon a further read ST is a merger between SGS and Thompson, my mistake.

Sounded Simple,
The ST device has a substantial connection to the ground plane via 0R1 resistor and the other two legs have pretty thin tracks leading to/from them hence the low power thinking. I have been after a couple of the Peak testers for years now and only really decide I should have got one is in cases like this.

Darren.
Thats interesting and I never tried a wild card in the number position (call it a Pike moment)but in the cct diag for the next model up it's shown as an FET turning the brake on via a PIC output the only other difference seems to be its denoted Q1 instead of Q6.

Vk3kbr
Yes your right, I got the data sheet from IR in seconds, its the other device I was interested in and why the 4905 could not be used in both places (Speed control & Brake control). I can only assume it's because of a price differential ergo wanting to find the data.

The neighbour had to go out this afternoon so I have not had a look yet, but pointed out an in-line fuse (20Amp) somewhere near the battery, gleaned from the cct diag. The husband said he had never found one but will have a search later.

Thanks for everyones interest, I will keep you posted
Kindest rgards,
GF

Vk3kbr
Frequent Contributor
Username: Vk3kbr

Post Number: 96

Posted on Friday, 14 July, 2006 - 03:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

G'day again Grandad fixit,
this probably has no bearing on what you need, but like Obiwan suggested, the thing might be a privately coded component.
I had a bit of a Google again,(nothing better to do at 0034 Hrs Saturday morning, and tried the following. On Google ST 30H* it turned up a few things, mainly hospital stuff Etc. but it might be a clue to finding the hidden component.
Failing that, it might be advisable to contact the manufacturer of the machine and ask if they will supply the required data.
I will bet a dollar to a doughnut you have already tried the above.

Regards,
Rod vk3kbr

Grandad_fixit

Post Number: 7

Posted on Friday, 14 July, 2006 - 08:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Hi Vk, googling the characters as you suggested did throw up a comprehensive mix of hits (Virtual explosion @ Yell.com :-) The first was amusing:- Pricing in New York Hospitals??? (I had done some googling for it but as you know device numbers always throw up a vast spectrum of hits and searching inside results can sometimes be misleading..Thats why I try chip/data sites first)

I have Emailed Stannah but nothing yet.
The fact it could be a custom device did cross my mind, but looking at is application I can't see why they would need anything so special, Unlike the PIC involved I thought they may have scratched the 16C738 off that device at least, the same ways other companies sometimes do.

As I have said before this probably has no bearing on the actual fault but I was interested as I am interested in anything that wants to remain hidden or a mystery.

Regards
GF

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page