Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Battery question

:: EPE Chat Zone ­:: ­Radio Bygones Message Board :: » EPE Forum Archives 2005-2006 » Archive through 01 September, 2006 » Battery question « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Davesch
Valued Member
Username: Davesch

Post Number: 11

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, 26 August, 2006 - 05:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

I've just bought an Archos hand held video player, but the internal 4.2V lithium ion battery is only claimed to give 3.5 hours max for movies, which on a journey may not be enough. Spare batteries are expensive and not the easiest to change on the move. The charger / power supply is rated at 5V and I've measured the voltage at about 5.4V unloaded. There are battery packs on the market which basically seem to consist of 4 AA rechargeables, a box and plug and nothing else, I cannot see any sign of electronic comonents in the photo. The cost with postage is nearly 20 quid and I have all the bits to make one myself for nothing.

My question though is there any issue of connecting the 4 rechargeables straight into the charger input ? I assume the rechargeables will give between 4.8V and 5.6V and possibly go straight in parallel with the li-ion battary which will be of less voltage. Can this cause any harm ?

Obiwan
Frequent Contributor
Username: Obiwan

Post Number: 650

Posted on Saturday, 26 August, 2006 - 10:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

As I understand it, no problem.

I do basically the same thing with my digital camera. It eats batteries like popcorn, so I just created a "raw" power pack that plugs into the aux power input and it works fine.
Do Not Hit The Fly That Lands On The Tigers Head.

Mikelaw
Just joined
Username: Mikelaw

Post Number: 1

Posted on Saturday, 26 August, 2006 - 11:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Dave - you got a brother named james, train driver?

Terry
Frequent Contributor
Username: Terry

Post Number: 231

Posted on Sunday, 27 August, 2006 - 09:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

On the face of it I see no problem.

Terry

Davesch
Valued Member
Username: Davesch

Post Number: 12

Posted on Sunday, 27 August, 2006 - 11:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Mike, no, I'm not related to any James

Others, thanks for your advice.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page