Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

No UV light box needed!!!!!!!!!

:: EPE Chat Zone ­:: ­Radio Bygones Message Board :: » EPE Forum Archives 2005-2006 » Archive through 01 September, 2006 » No UV light box needed!!!!!!!!! « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Paul_goodson
Frequent Contributor
Username: Paul_goodson

Post Number: 538

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, 29 August, 2006 - 09:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Hi All

I was chatting to Obiwan via email and he sent me this site to look at on PCB development.

The exposure technique it’s a little bit unusually to say the least and doesn’t use a UV exposure box.

People have used sun light for the job but it’s a bit of hit and miss with the timings as the sunlight changers all the time!

Not too sure on the tubes in the clip they use but any I think should produce a small amount of UV hence his long exposure time of ten minuets

If this actually works it could be a lot cheaper and give the chance to others to start developing there own boards.

Here's the link to the GC Chemicals site, look at the left and check out the links for the different processes, and there's one called "Video", a short movie of how they do it.

http://www.mgchemicals.com/techsupport/index_proto.html
The bluntest pencil is better than the sharpest memory!!!!!!!

Zeitghost
Frequent Contributor
Username: Zeitghost

Post Number: 330

Posted on Tuesday, 29 August, 2006 - 12:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

There's an article in RadCom for August 2006 that uses a 500W quartz halogen floodlight as a source of UV.

Gets a bit hot though.

The board is about 8 to 10 inches away from the lamp. Presumably to stop it melting...

Joe
Frequent Contributor
Username: Joe

Post Number: 193

Posted on Tuesday, 29 August, 2006 - 01:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Paul,

I've had a read of that Web site and it's excellent. I think it would be a good place to point "first timers" looking for info on home brew PCB production.
They even have videos you can download of some of the processes involved.

Joe
Do one thing each day that scares you – work here !

Paul_goodson
Frequent Contributor
Username: Paul_goodson

Post Number: 539

Posted on Tuesday, 29 August, 2006 - 09:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Hi Zeitghost
Can you please enlighten me more on RadCom as I have never herd of it.?

Re
Gets a bit hot though.

I would think so at that distance I would have thought it was called the “scorching technique “
I wonder haw the resist would react at that temperature !!!!!

Hi Joe
That’s what I was thinking too!
It would also be nice if anyone has used the products and could comment on it too.

Like would photoboard2 work in the same way or is it a specially made photo-resist board for the job?

I must admit it does look a little bit skeptical to me as the room light or outside light could still play apart too!!!!!!!!!

Paul
The bluntest pencil is better than the sharpest memory!!!!!!!

Terrym
Frequent Contributor
Username: Terrym

Post Number: 255

Posted on Wednesday, 30 August, 2006 - 02:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Radcom is the Journal/Magazine of the RSGB, the radio amateurs association.

Most PCB materials are not susceptible to low level light, it's the UV content that's important. I have 6 UV free white flouro's directly over the area where I make my boards and haven't had any problems.
TM

Zeitghost
Frequent Contributor
Username: Zeitghost

Post Number: 332

Posted on Wednesday, 30 August, 2006 - 08:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

RadCom is the Radio Society of Great Britain magazine for Radio Amateurs.

Chap by the name of EI9GQ, otherwise Eamon Skelton, has written a series of articles on homebrew pcb manufacture.

In his photograph of the setup, the lamp is perhaps a foot or so away from the pcb & mask, so the board would be at about 30 to 40 deg C at a guess, though might be a little more.

The UV exposure box I use gets to about 30 or so degrees after some use, so maybe it's not a problem.

His pcbs look pretty good too.

Even gets a "silk screen" of the component positions on the component side of the pcb. (Using toner transfer I think).

Labathome
Username: Labathome

Post Number: 9

Posted on Thursday, 31 August, 2006 - 10:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Good design for a UV light box in Elektor May 2006. It uses an array of 24 UV LEDs.

Rich

Obiwan
Frequent Contributor
Username: Obiwan

Post Number: 653

Posted on Friday, 01 September, 2006 - 01:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

I'm going to purchase some of those boards pretty soon just to check out.

But the exposure lamp they're using is just a regular fluorescent tube, maybe 35 watts or so.

the distance is to get a good over all exposure, has nothing to do with heat.

I'll let you know what I think about the boards.

It's just that I haven't had much luck with the printer method. (if it's going to not work for anybody, it's going to not work for me).

So I was considering the regular UV method.

Looking for tubes and supplies, I found that place.

I asked for some more information, but they replied
"We are a Master Distributor, who sells to licensed distributors nation-wide.
We do not offer detailed training or application advice. It is up to the
end user to design and determine the suitability of a product in their
specific application."

So I'll check it out and see what I get.

No boards to make right now, trying to get the jump on it, making light box and finding tubes etc....

I like the idea about the UV LED's. They'll last much longer too. But I would be a bit concerned about exposure patterns, or the light diffusing. You'd need a lot of LED's to cover a medium board size, they might be cheap enough now. A buck each, that's not too bad.

Interesting though.
Do Not Hit The Fly That Lands On The Tigers Head.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page