Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

L297 Stepper Motor Controller

:: EPE Chat Zone ­:: ­Radio Bygones Message Board :: » EPE Forum Archives 2005-2006 » Archive through 13 September, 2006 » L297 Stepper Motor Controller « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Darren
Frequent Contributor
Username: Darren

Post Number: 131

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, 01 September, 2006 - 11:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Hi everyone,
Does anyone here have any experience using the L297 Stepper Motor Contoller with Unipolar stepper motors?
I had wished to use a UCN5804 (but they are now obsolete) and have turned to the L297, but I find the datasheet and application note a bit vague in relation to using the PWM chopper, I don't wish to use it if I can avoid it, as I just want to drive a unipolar stepper motor in 'normal' Full Step Mode with the ability to reverse the direction, with the minimal amount of components and as simply as possible.
Regards,
Darren

Terry
Frequent Contributor
Username: Terry

Post Number: 232

Posted on Friday, 01 September, 2006 - 05:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Im using this kit from Quasar. http://www.electronic-kits-and-projects.com/3179.htm

Terry

Obiwan
Frequent Contributor
Username: Obiwan

Post Number: 661

Posted on Friday, 01 September, 2006 - 08:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

www.allelectronics.com had some stepper motor controler chips, and http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce had some as well.
Do Not Hit The Fly That Lands On The Tigers Head.

Gordon
Frequent Contributor
Username: Gordon

Post Number: 92

Posted on Saturday, 02 September, 2006 - 01:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

The UCN5804 chip is still listed at Futurlec, at about £3.00, and Cricklewood Electronics also list it, but it is expensive at £9.00 plus VAT.

Darren
Frequent Contributor
Username: Darren

Post Number: 132

Posted on Sunday, 03 September, 2006 - 01:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Hi Guys,
Thanks for the replies, the circuit for the kit you mentioned Terry - using JK flips flops and some other gates - is one of the options I have been looking at as it appears to be used/referenced quite a bit on the net and in magazines.
I had a look at the sites you listed Obiwan, especially the one with the EDE-1204 IC (for Bipolar motors), which appears to me to be a PIC16F84 (or similar 18 pin PIC) programmed to act as a stepper motor controller. I have aslo seen another EDE IC for Unipolar motors so I might be able to make one of these myself.
Futurlec unfornately is a bit slow in updating what components they actually have, which is a shame as I purchase through their Australian site quite often, I ordered 2 of the UCN5804's from the Australian site only to get an email that they dont actually have them and cant get anymore, I checked their US site and they were listed as available but after emailing them to confirm this they were removed. I'll contact the UK site and see what they say.
I'm waiting for the L297's to arrive and if I can get some more clear info from SGS I'll give them a try.
Thanks again for the assistance.
Regards,
Darren

Terrym
Frequent Contributor
Username: Terrym

Post Number: 256

Posted on Sunday, 03 September, 2006 - 11:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

EPE did the Quickstep in June 04, part of which is a 16f628 programmed as a stepper motor driver.
TM

Hackinblack
Just joined
Username: Hackinblack

Post Number: 2

Posted on Sunday, 03 September, 2006 - 10:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

I would use the L297 as a first chioce;it makes the circuit as simple as possible,without resorting to lots of firmware tweaking!All it needs is step and direction,the rest it does all by its little self.I would stear clear of any IC that was being obsoleted,remember,it is YOU who will struggle if the motor stalls and burns one out!I have used futurlec recently,despite there being Aus,UK,& US sites the stuff actually comes shipped from Bangkok,Thailand;so shipping takes weeks,or my order did! They do very cheap ZIF sockets that fit the 18 pin PIC micros too for £3 each!they seem allright;but be warned they are knock-off (counterfeit) clones of the Textool part,with the same part number,but branded TEXTODL !!! Cheeky Monkeys!

Zeitghost
Frequent Contributor
Username: Zeitghost

Post Number: 348

Posted on Friday, 08 September, 2006 - 12:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Ha!

I bought some of those 18W TextoDl ZIF sockets.

They were cheap & some of them were ok.

Ish.

Certainly about a quarter of the price for the real thing... I hadn't noticed the TEXTODL though, it explains a lot. :-O)

Hackinblack
Valued Member
Username: Hackinblack

Post Number: 14

Posted on Sunday, 10 September, 2006 - 03:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

never buy ZIF sockets from strangers in the pub...

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page