Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

EPE project error?

:: EPE Chat Zone ­:: ­Radio Bygones Message Board :: » EPE Forum Archives 2005-2006 » Archive through 26 October, 2006 » EPE project error? « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Poriet
Frequent Contributor
Username: Poriet

Post Number: 81

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, 12 October, 2006 - 09:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Hi,
In the last-but-one EPE ( in the IU section ) theres a cct for a LED illumuinator. It uses a choke to control it, but I cant see its value recorded anywhere. Is there a misprint?
Regards
P.

Obiwan
Frequent Contributor
Username: Obiwan

Post Number: 843

Posted on Thursday, 12 October, 2006 - 10:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

whoops.....
Do Not Hit The Fly That Lands On The Tigers Head.

John_becker
:::: Super User ::::
Username: John_becker

Post Number: 670

Posted on Friday, 13 October, 2006 - 11:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

I'll have it looked into if I can

J

Obiwan
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 849

Posted on Friday, 13 October, 2006 - 08:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Of course you can! You da man!!

John_becker

Post Number: 672

Posted on Saturday, 14 October, 2006 - 02:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Nice of you to think so Obiwan, but as most of you know, I dont work out of HQ any more but from home 130 miles away, semi-retired!

Only HQ has records of author contact details, except for a rare few I have. Any info needed from authors must usually be requested by HQ. In this instance I dont think I've ever had contact with author of this IU, PA Tomlinson. Anyway, I've asked HQ to contact him and ask for more info. As to how long a reply might take is anyone's guess. But when I've got one I'll post it here.

However, it simply says in the IU that a "standard PCB mounting choke" is needed. Now, I'm not greater user of chokes since 30+ odd years ago and still messing with valves and HT supplies, and memory fades, but I assume the term has a general meaning to those who use or supply chokes.

J

Obiwan
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 855

Posted on Saturday, 14 October, 2006 - 02:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Maybe so, but you still da man!

I bet the quake in their boots when they get a call from you .

Nah, but I bet you're one of the most loved guys there (or not there), and they look forward to hearing from you, and it's probably not enough. And when you do call for something, I'll bet they're more than willing to do what they can, and jump right on it, time willing.....

Just a feeling I have about you.

As for the choke, it might be fairly easy to figure out a good starting point from formulas, and impirical data.

But then again, it may be easier to just try a couple and see what you get.

I'm wondering if the author didn't mean to make the project so it was adaptable by the user. Didn't provide a value intentionally, but forgot to mention why and how to figure out how to use the ones you had on hand.

(Message edited by obiwan on 14 October, 2006)

John_becker

Post Number: 674

Posted on Saturday, 14 October, 2006 - 10:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Obiwan, flattery will get you everywhere, you gold-digger you (private joke folks :-)

I cant comment further on the choke, just wait & hope for an author reply.

J

Obiwan
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 857

Posted on Saturday, 14 October, 2006 - 05:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Yeah, I'll admit it, I'm a gold digger...

Poriet
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 84

Posted on Wednesday, 18 October, 2006 - 06:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

So? What's the answer?
The value of the inductance has been omitted, thereby making the circuit useless. Surely, if it's only just been published, ARW will know his address. Cant you ask the author?
This is all very puzzling.
Hasn't anyone else seen the error. Nobody said anything.
Has anyone tried to build it?
Very odd
Regards
P.
BTW, I tried to calculate the necessary value. I'll show you my answer if you show me yours

Obiwan
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 891

Posted on Wednesday, 18 October, 2006 - 07:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

John said he's contacted HQ about getting in touch with the author.

Apparently nobody noticed it before.

Arw
Board Administrator
Username: Arw

Post Number: 332

Posted on Wednesday, 18 October, 2006 - 09:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

For the record, I haven't hosted the IU column for several years, so I can't be of help, sorry.

-- ARW

John_becker

Post Number: 684

Posted on Thursday, 19 October, 2006 - 01:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

I'm away from home till the weekend, but I think there maybe a reply from Mike to the Q but I dont want to pick it up where I am

J

Poriet
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 85

Posted on Thursday, 19 October, 2006 - 06:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Does this saga provide an unintentional
window into how many people actually try and build IU circuits?
P

John_becker

Post Number: 688

Posted on Thursday, 19 October, 2006 - 07:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Not at all P, we have many ways of knowing that many people build and/or learn from IUs, regardless of whether they come on CZ. And IUs also inspire others to be creative.

We have far more readers than those you see on CZ. Everyone is welcome if they stick to the simple rules, but it's as well they dont all appear - none of us really have time to read/reply so much and still do electronics :-)

And when readers dont report matters, they may still make their own decisions privately about what to do, experimenting as appropriate.

Also, when it comes to reporting anything to EPE, this is not the place to do it. Contact EPE HQ direct.

It's usually only Alan & I who monitor CZ regularly and neither of us are paid to do it, or guarantee that we do so frequently or necessarily have the info contacts to hand. At HQ there are staff who deal with mail/emails on a daily basis and have the necessary contacts to hand.

CZ is the place where readers chat together, it is not the place through which they contact HQ.

J

Obiwan
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 899

Posted on Thursday, 19 October, 2006 - 08:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

If I were to have built the circuit, I would have just gone along and tried different coils without asking questions. I mean there's plenty of examples on the manufacturers websites and other sites.

In other words, I would not have seen this as a reason to call the magazine. (not that the original poster shouldn't have!)

So, there may have been others doing the same thing. Window closed.....

Poriet
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 86

Posted on Friday, 20 October, 2006 - 09:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Well, that certainly seemed to ruffle a few feathers! But I reckon Obiwan's point is not a fair one. It's a statement of the obvious that
hobbyists will experiment /guess/use experience,
but choosing an inductor is usually a lot more tricky than choosing a resistor and the values
readily available range from about 1uH to 10H, a range of ten million! Under those circumstances
I reckon guesswork is a poor option!. I tried to calculate the necessary value and got somewhere around 15mH, IIRC. Anyone out there sad enough to have done the same calculation? We could compare notes ( it's OK; it's perfectly legal if you're over 21 )
Regards
P.

John_becker

Post Number: 699

Posted on Saturday, 21 October, 2006 - 11:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Editor Mike tells me the inductor should be 33mH.

J

Poriet
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 88

Posted on Monday, 23 October, 2006 - 12:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Thanks for that John.
P.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page