Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Proof Reading EPE <vbg>

:: EPE Chat Zone ≠:: ≠Radio Bygones Message Board :: » EPE Forum Archives 2005-2006 » Archive through 18 November, 2006 » Proof Reading EPE <vbg> « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Philwarn
Regular Contributor
Username: Philwarn

Post Number: 36

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, 11 November, 2006 - 01:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Dear John B,

I think it is a well known fact that the brain can play tricks on one! Its "sees" what should be there and not what is there, often.

Apart from the duplicated diagram in M Hs article about MMC cards, a couple more booboos crept into the December edition.

In the parts list for the Mind Trainer, on page 51, C2 and C3 have been reversed. The circuit diagram clearly shows C2 as a 47 mu capacitor, whereas in the parts list it is down as a 100n ceramic one.

Secondly, a "greengrocer's" apostrophe crept into the narrative in the first pic on page 53 - "on it's side" should be "on its side"

Oh, and whilst we are at it, in the November 2006 Editorial there is a strange word "incorperated" which, of course, should be "incorporated"!

Phil
Tongue firmly in cheek!

Mikehibbett
Frequent Contributor
Username: Mikehibbett

Post Number: 586

Posted on Saturday, 11 November, 2006 - 01:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

The grammar police have been round, but I got out on bail :o)
-----
www.drivesentinel.co.uk - Home build GPS Speed Camera Detectors

Obiwan
Frequent Contributor
Username: Obiwan

Post Number: 1029

Posted on Saturday, 11 November, 2006 - 03:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

For the "Mind Trainer", now THAT is irony.
Do Not Hit The Fly That Lands On The Tigers Head.

John_becker
:::: Super User ::::
Username: John_becker

Post Number: 779

Posted on Saturday, 11 November, 2006 - 04:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

So they did Phil - & it's not for want of trying on our part. Proofs are even emailed/mailed to me at home to check. Even with Silicon Chip's, previously published in Oz, I find the occasional error (ignoring differences in Oz grammar!!)

While I "subbed" Bart's Mind Trainer some months ago (last year?) the Parts list was recompiled at HQ to match SC's style, and it's there the error has crept in.

But "it's" in the photo caption is unforgiveable (not my caption). (Correct use of "it's" and "its" is a "hobby-horse" of mine, as is the incorrect use of "'s" to indicate a plural - it does not, it indicates a "possessive" condition.

Interesting, your "greengrocer's" term - not come across it before, but Lynne Truss in her splendid book "Eats, Shoots and Leaves" look at punctuation, covered the concept.

Toodle pip for now my friendly Orpington Buff !

J

Ant
Frequent Contributor
Username: Ant

Post Number: 58

Posted on Sunday, 12 November, 2006 - 09:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Hello all,

The following is given without source in IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and
Electronic Systems, Vol. 26, No. 2, March 1990-- p. 209.

"Catching Misspilled Words with Spilling Checker

"As an extra addled service, I am going to put this column in the
Spilling Checker, where I tryst it will sale through with flying
colons. In this modern ear, itis simply inexplicable to ask readers to
expose themselves to misspelled swords when they have bitter things to
do.
"And with all the other timesaving features on my new work
processor, it is in realty very easy to pit together a colon like this
one and get it tight. For instants, if there is a work that is wrong,
I just put the curse on it, press Delete and its Well sometimes it
deletes to the end of the lion or worst yet the whole rage. Four
bigger problems, there is the Cat and Paste option. If there is some
test that is somewhere were you wish it where somewhere else you jest
put the curse at both ends and wash it disappear. Where you want it
to reappear simply bring four quarts of water to a rotting boil and
throw in 112 pounds of dazed chicken. Sometimes it brings in the Cat
that was Pasted yesterday.
"But usually it comes out as you planned,
or better. And if it doesn't, there are lots of other easy to lose
options... "

Regards Ant

John_becker

Post Number: 784

Posted on Monday, 13 November, 2006 - 01:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Ant, you've had me laughing out loud when I shouldnt - wife in bed sleeping above this room :-)

Used get a lot of stuff like this being circulated by email when I was at HQ. They do the world rounds I expect ...

J

Thomas
Frequent Contributor
Username: Thomas

Post Number: 154

Posted on Tuesday, 14 November, 2006 - 08:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

The 70s must have been the golden age of errors in electronics designs/texts. Some were quite spectacular. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the magazines got most of their designs wrong. Then along came Dave Barrington, and ushered in a new era in electronics publishing! Dave is a phenomenon. It is surprisingly -- supremely -- easy for errors to slip in -- in fact EPE even had one on the front cover once -- which gets checked how many times. Andy Flind, who did the "background" work on some of my designs, used to tell me that they were unusually well done -- but even then, it would be true to say that virtually every one of my projects admitted errors somewhere in the process (until Dave set his eye on them)! Thomas.

P.S. Mike Hibbett might enjoy this one:

From Cambridge University

O lny srmat poelpe can raed tihs.

cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The
phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde
Uinervtisy,

it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny
iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae.
The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm.

Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but
the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was
ipmorantt!

Paul_goodson
Frequent Contributor
Username: Paul_goodson

Post Number: 587

Posted on Tuesday, 14 November, 2006 - 09:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Re
"Eats, Shoots and Leaves"
It reminds me of an old bear Joke!!! John

Thomas
I donít like to pick you up on this but "ipmorantt"
I thought has spelt with 3 t's

Plus is there a F in era?

mind you some people have called me disleptic before.

and I didnít think that was on just because I couldnít read or WHITE

TC
Paul

(Message edited by paul_goodson on 14 November, 2006)
The bluntest pencil is better than the sharpest memory!!!!!!!

John_becker

Post Number: 795

Posted on Wednesday, 15 November, 2006 - 02:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Second attempt to write & send - server crashed out on me, deleting everything -

Thomas you're so right again (as you always are :-)

In the early days of me selling kits in the 1970s I would always check each PE issue for errors as part of producting my own own paperwork for kits. It became traditional for me to phone in to PE each month with a list of latest errors.

But I learned later that it cost IPC heavily to make changes, so much per keystoke, as dictated by the Unions. The days of true typesetting with hot lead. I recall the battles with the Union too when IPC wanted to increase the size of PE (anyone recall how small it was at first?) It took Eddy Shah and his newspaper setup to end "multiple keystroking" whereby everything was always typeset afresh - no such things as disk copies then. It was all about jobs for the boys.

A chap called Jasper was the best proof checker and editorial assistant at IPC then. I wont mention the worst, he went a long long time back, but he lasted a surpisingly long time.

Yes Dave really is eagle-eyed, picking up on all sorts of things that get past the rest of us (incl me). He is utterly methodical.

"That" error was "Reverbereration Unit" I recall

Er, yes, Paul, and the other one about the old bull and his insatiable apetites :-)

(Now to save & try again --)

J

(Message edited by admin on 15 November, 2006)

Mikehibbett
Frequent Contributor
Username: Mikehibbett

Post Number: 589

Posted on Wednesday, 15 November, 2006 - 07:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

"t deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. "

Tahnk goneodss for taht!

Mkie.
-----
www.drivesentinel.co.uk - Home build GPS Speed Camera Detectors

John_becker

Post Number: 798

Posted on Wednesday, 15 November, 2006 - 08:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Talking with wife Gill about this, we feel that there is somewhat more to it.

For us, pattern recognition comes into it, so does syntax and the word sequence. Additionally, with "mttaer" or "ltteers" the presence of the "tt" is important. Grammar seemingly is not, two places here I might have reworded so that "are" and "be" don't come over aukwardly for me.

Also, the last example sentence doesn't follow the rules - the first letter ("i") has been omitted.

But the subject is a really interesting one, I'm sure there are whole treatise & blurbs about it scattered somewhere in cyberspace.

J

Thomas
Frequent Contributor
Username: Thomas

Post Number: 155

Posted on Wednesday, 15 November, 2006 - 08:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Hello John,

Re EPE's front cover. You say it was the "Reverbereration Unit" that EPE got wrong. Are you sure you're not confusing this with the misplacement of the GPS project?

I submitted my umpteenth I.U. contribution tonight.

Thomas.

P.S. Mike. Someone said how should one make sense of a language where one's house burns UP as it burns DOWN.

Magnum4
Frequent Contributor
Username: Magnum4

Post Number: 335

Posted on Wednesday, 15 November, 2006 - 09:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Or when getting directions? Go down the road and turn left, Right?

(Message edited by magnum4 on 15 November, 2006)
Regards,
Jim

Andrew
Valued Member
Username: Andrew

Post Number: 12

Posted on Thursday, 16 November, 2006 - 09:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

I always wondered about the use of quotation marks in EPE text, for example in this month's PnM:
... without trying to "fill in" unused clusters ...

P.S. Thomas, is that the same as rasing it to the ground? ;-)

John_becker

Post Number: 812

Posted on Friday, 17 November, 2006 - 02:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Andrew, quotes are sort of in the balance stylewise at present, we'e trying to conform wih SC where possible, but sometimes they are inconsistent with single and double quotes. Also different authors have different ideas about when quotes of any sort should be used. So does Dave compared to me. I tend to go more for ital rather quotes if I want to emphasise something or highlight it somehow when writing.

Debatable with what you quote as to whether highlighting of any kind is really needed

Thomas - no - GPS was not even thought of when the issue I refer to came out - many years ago it was. I think it was actually PE.

J

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page