Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

TK3 and PIC16F54

:: EPE Chat Zone ­:: ­Radio Bygones Message Board :: » EPE Forum Archives 2005-2006 » Archive through 27 November, 2006 » TK3 and PIC16F54 « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Vk3kbr
Frequent Contributor
Username: Vk3kbr

Post Number: 136

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, 24 November, 2006 - 12:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

G'day all,
yep!!, looking for help again. Does the TK3 program, Etc, the PIC16F54 chip ??.

I purchased a book on pic programming a little while back and it is great to read, however, it is entirely based on the PIC16f54.
I am using the TK3 Version 3.05, just wondering if there might be a later version that covers this chip.

Rod

John_becker
:::: Super User ::::
Username: John_becker

Post Number: 849

Posted on Friday, 24 November, 2006 - 07:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Rod, I've never programmed TK3 to specifically do it as I've never used that chip (it was before I got into PICs). It's poss you might be able to add it to TK3 yourself, adding config details and name reference. I suspect the config requirements may be pretty much the same as for C84 and F84, but cant confirm as I dont know the PIC.

Contact me privately if you wish. I may have data for it in some ancient Microchip databook I think I may still have.

J

Vk3kbr
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 137

Posted on Saturday, 25 November, 2006 - 01:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

G'day John,
thanks for the rapid reply. The second ponderings that I had was,
if I use, say, a 16F84/A, would the code be similar as for the .54??
If not, how do I contact you direct, to discuss this further ?.
Regards,
Rod

John_becker

Post Number: 854

Posted on Saturday, 25 November, 2006 - 02:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Rod, sorry I thought it was you who helped me with Sudoku some months ago and so had my address. You can contact me by email me via EPE HQ, who will send it on to me. Say I told you to. Not knowing the 54, I cant say for certain, but it's only of recent years Microchip have been adding different attributes & functions to different PICs, so I think it may well be as good as the same as the F84. Perhaps someone here can comment? The F84A has different programming protocol requirements.

J

Terrym
Frequent Contributor
Username: Terrym

Post Number: 292

Posted on Saturday, 25 November, 2006 - 02:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Rod, just to double check, does the book definitely say 16F54 and not 16C54?

I only ask as it would seem odd that a book would be written about a device that is not one of the popular hobbyist/experimenters ones. There were, however, quite a few books about the 16C54 in the early days.

The 16F54 is a recent (last couple of years) device designed to replace the 16C54, as the 16C54 is one of the original PIC chips.

If it is the C version, TK3 will definitely not program it as it is a parallel program device, ie it needs 8 connections to program it.

If it is an F device, comparing the programming specifications of it and the 16F84 should tell you if TK3 may program it.

TM

Vk3kbr
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 138

Posted on Saturday, 25 November, 2006 - 09:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

G'day John, TerryM.
first Terry, yes it is an F device that I refer to, and as you know, I am not so good with the finer points of different chips.

John, you flatter me, all I did was to send you an unsolved Sudoku puzzle which you quickly solved with your great project. You asked which parts of the world were playing this game.
I replied that we here :
In the land of wonder,
The land down-under,
The mighty place called Oz
(sickening isn't it !!)
Rod

John_becker

Post Number: 855

Posted on Saturday, 25 November, 2006 - 01:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Rod, that was a great help to me to see that Sudoku as well.

I've checked, but dont have your email that I can see, so unless you have mine - it's back through EPE for you to re-establish contact if you want.

J

Terrym
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 294

Posted on Sunday, 26 November, 2006 - 02:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Rod,
as soon as I get 5 minutes, I'll check the programming specs to see how comparable they are to a 16F84.
TM

Terrym
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 295

Posted on Sunday, 26 November, 2006 - 02:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Have had a look at the programming spec for the 16F54 and the short answer is no, TK3 won't program it. It uses a different algorithm and commands to those availble in TK3.

TM

Terrym
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 296

Posted on Sunday, 26 November, 2006 - 03:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

The only software that I can find to program the 16F54 that appears to be freely available is here:-

http://www.re-applications.be/

in the "downloads/projects" category.

You will need to build the velleman k8076 programmer though. The link to that is on the same page.
TM

Vk3kbr
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 139

Posted on Sunday, 26 November, 2006 - 10:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Thank you Terry,
I looked at the site you sent, it is like everything else on the net. It gives everything EXCEPT the price no matter how I try to drive the site. I wonder if it's age, or is it frustration, that I'm almost bald.
Tried a Google, no better. Everywhere I look there is E- flaming Bay. What a pest.
Do you know any Australian sites that handle Velleman kits??????. Just might save some sanity yet.. .

Regards,
Rod

Gizo
Just joined
Username: Gizo

Post Number: 1

Posted on Sunday, 26 November, 2006 - 11:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Jaycar has the standard Velleman PIC programmer at $119.00 :-(
The ones I have seen are ready built.
Rob

Terrym
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 297

Posted on Sunday, 26 November, 2006 - 12:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

The Jaycar one is the wrong programmer. K8076 is a serial port programmer only. Can't locate anybody that sells it in Oz.
TM

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page