Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

UV Exposure!

:: EPE Chat Zone ­:: ­Radio Bygones Message Board :: » EPE Forum Archives 2005-2006 » Archive through 08 July, 2005 » UV Exposure! « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Dsaint
Regular Contributor
Username: Dsaint

Post Number: 29

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, 30 June, 2005 - 11:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Guys could anyone help m,e with guiding me to sites where i can find good instructions for exposure and etching units i know their are quite a few diy around but i am lost and if i can ask EPE COntributors why not do an article relating this subject an intresting matter for diyer and hobbysts also exisits some sort of a timer prefirably with display which does not use pics as i am GREEEEEN in the subject

regards
Bernard
dSaINt}S{ - interests electronics,control,broadcast,circuit design

Amr_bekhit
Regular Contributor
Username: Amr_bekhit

Post Number: 26

Posted on Thursday, 30 June, 2005 - 08:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Check this website out. It contains FULL, step-by-step instructions on how to build your own UV light box with an electronic timer with display! I think this is just what you need!

http://www.electronics-lab.com/articles/uv_box_fluo/index.html

--Amr

Dsaint
Regular Contributor

Post Number: 31

Posted on Thursday, 30 June, 2005 - 11:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

excuse my typos in my previous post lol it seems i was a bit rushed :P

Amr - Thanks for your post the site is very useful but i wish to ask if that uv unit is a bit too much on the large side of things? I am no expert but i fear that the lamp from the exposure area is a bit too far i dont know but the timer scares me a little lol i dnt have a pic progger and without an exposure unit probably i cant make one either is there any alternative to pic for timers?

Amr_bekhit
Regular Contributor
Username: Amr_bekhit

Post Number: 27

Posted on Friday, 01 July, 2005 - 01:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

In my exposure unit, the lamp is only and inch away from the screen where I put my PCB and I expose it for 90 seconds. Obviously a lamp that is further away will probably require more exposure time (taking into accoun the power of the lamp). Because you're building this yourself, you can make it as close if you want.

As for the timer circuit, you can definately build a timer from logic ic's. Here's a simple idea: Hook up a 555 timer ic so that it outputs a pulse every 1 second. Feed this pulse to the input of a ripple counter IC and use one of the output pins via a transistor to switch off a relay. I tried making a circuit to do that, but it's got a few mistakes in it and my brain doesn't have the energy to fix it right now. I'll post it if I can fix it.

--Amr

Grab
Valued Member
Username: Grab

Post Number: 20

Posted on Friday, 01 July, 2005 - 06:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

There have been articles in the past - I built my UV exposure unit from a circuit diagram in an old EPE (1995 IIRC). Alan, maybe time to recycle some old material, on the grounds that "everything's new to someone"? ;-)

Also FWIW, my timer is a watch and a switch. I start the stopwatch at the same time I turn the switch. When the stopwatch reaches 3:30, I turn the switch off. Job done (unless you get sidetracked while you're waiting! :-)

Graham.

Arw
Board Administrator
Username: Arw

Post Number: 102

Posted on Friday, 01 July, 2005 - 06:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

quote:

There have been articles in the past - I built my UV exposure unit from a circuit diagram in an old EPE (1995 IIRC). Alan, maybe time to recycle some old material, on the grounds that "everything's new to someone"? ;-)

I've still got the original prototype in my shed, along with the UV suppressor somewhere. I wonder if Ed. would notice if I re-submitted it
--
Alan Winstanley
EPE Online Editor

Terrym
Username: Terrym

Post Number: 7

Posted on Monday, 04 July, 2005 - 07:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Hacking an old Microwave Oven control panel makes a good Timer, but PLEASE be careful if you try it. The cap on the HV side can stay charged for days and give a VERY nasty kick (anywhere from 1000 - 3000v). This is what I used when I built my UV box.
TM

Pewtu
Just joined
Username: Pewtu

Post Number: 4

Posted on Wednesday, 06 July, 2005 - 09:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Have to admit to building a very crude exposure unit years ago. My design was up-side-down compared to the rest. Tubes suspended over a foam bed on which I layed the PCB, sensitive side up, on top of which I placed the master on top of which a THIN piece of glass. Advantage - very easy to position the master. Timer, small kitchen timer with seconds and 'beep' and a switch. Exposure was 10 minutes, as long as the developer was the right temperature within a degree or so perfect results every time. Disadvantage, exposure time, watch out for UV exposure.

Chuckieboy
Username: Chuckieboy

Post Number: 6

Posted on Thursday, 07 July, 2005 - 05:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

have a look here it may be of interest to you

http://www.pulsar.gs/1_PCB/a_Pages/1_Menu/Overview.html

the reading on it sounds very good i have not tried it yet the only downfall is that the company is in the usa not sure if you can get it in the uk

chuckieboy

Dsaint
Regular Contributor

Post Number: 32

Posted on Thursday, 07 July, 2005 - 11:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

the film with the artwork needs to be a positive or a negative for uv exposure?

Terrym
Username: Terrym

Post Number: 8

Posted on Friday, 08 July, 2005 - 08:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Depends on your PCB material. When you buy it, it should say positive or negative acting. Likewise, if coating your own board, it depends on what product you are using for the coating.
Positive acting needs positive artwork and vice versa.
TM

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page