Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Ferric Chloride stains

:: EPE Chat Zone ­:: ­Radio Bygones Message Board :: » EPE Forum Archives 2005-2006 » Archive through 15 August, 2005 » Ferric Chloride stains « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Amr_bekhit
Frequent Contributor
Username: Amr_bekhit

Post Number: 52

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, 09 August, 2005 - 01:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

This question has nothing to do with electronics directly, but...

How can I remove ferric chloride stains from clothing? I've wrecked my favourite pair of trousers!

--Amr

Dean_huster
Regular Contributor
Username: Dean_huster

Post Number: 34

Posted on Tuesday, 09 August, 2005 - 01:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Join the crowd. You have now been fully initiated into the ranks of PCB etchers! Without the stain, you would have been treated as nothing more than a dabbler in electronics.

Seriously, I've not been using ferric chloride for so long that there are a lot of products that have come on the market that may (or may not) take care of the stain. Back as late as 1985, an etchant stain like that was permanent. Today, although I've not had to try them, there are products designed for bathroom iron and calcium stains that may work. In the U.S. products such as "CLR" (calcium-lime-rust) have appeared. And lately, the Oxyclean-type products have come on the market, but I think they're more for organic stains, although Oxyclean did rip out every spot of a new lab coat that was majorly splashed with Betadine solution.

"Test product on an obscure area of fabric to determine compatibility before use."

Dean

Mark
Just joined
Username: Mark

Post Number: 5

Posted on Tuesday, 09 August, 2005 - 02:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Lemon Juice works a treat!

Amr_bekhit
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 53

Posted on Tuesday, 09 August, 2005 - 02:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

'You have now been fully initiated into the ranks of PCB etchers!' At least the stains have had their use!

Seriously though, I once upset a tray full of etchant on my desk. The wall, desktop lamp, keyboard, speakers and PC have had their share! I'll have a look at some cleaners, becuase I really mourn my trousers! I went to Maplin's the other day to restock on etchant and found they sell another type of etchant in powder form that's meant to be safer and it's a colourless solution as well. You won't catch me using ferric chloride again!

Lemon juice?!! I'll go try that now!

--Amr

(Message edited by amr_bekhit on 09 August, 2005)

(Message edited by amr_bekhit on 09 August, 2005)

Mikehibbett
Frequent Contributor
Username: Mikehibbett

Post Number: 122

Posted on Tuesday, 09 August, 2005 - 02:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

The good thing about ferric chloride is that you can see where you spill it.

I've just come to live with the fact that I have yellow spots on all my clothes... check trousers... yep.

Mike.

Grab
Regular Contributor
Username: Grab

Post Number: 33

Posted on Tuesday, 09 August, 2005 - 04:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

I have some special white powder (no, not that sort!) that I bought from Mega Electronics, which claims to remove ferric chloride stains. At the time I thought it would be worth it, because I'd got a few stains on things I didn't want stained. As it was, I got more careful with the ferric and did less etching, so I've never actually used it. :-/

The lemon juice tip sounds worth a go though, the next time I have a spillage.

Graham.

Arw
Board Administrator
Username: Arw

Post Number: 119

Posted on Tuesday, 09 August, 2005 - 06:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

BTW you can do a quote using

backslashquote{ your quote here }

quote:

'You have now been fully initiated into the ranks of PCB etchers!' At least the stains have had their use!

--
Alan Winstanley
EPE Online Editor

Dean_huster
Regular Contributor

Post Number: 35

Posted on Tuesday, 09 August, 2005 - 11:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

I really mourn my trousers!
(The above was quote and I can't get the system to quit adding all sorts of brackets on its own nor will it take any form of "backslashquote" that I can come up with.)

I'd more mourn some of the things IN my trousers with regard to what ferric chloride might do to them as it soaked through!

Lemon juice! See, I told you there were some new products out there that might work!

So, Alan, how about a bit more detailed information in real-text about how to do the quote thing for this slow, old lummox?

Dean

John_becker
:::: Super User ::::
Username: John_becker

Post Number: 48

Posted on Wednesday, 10 August, 2005 - 12:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Take a tip from someone who's been using ferric for 30 years - just live with being pie-bald and stop moaning

J

Arw
Board Administrator

Post Number: 120

Posted on Wednesday, 10 August, 2005 - 12:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

quote:

So, Alan, how about a bit more detailed information in real-text about how to do the quote thing for this slow, old lummox?

There is a lot of advice in the formatting guide in the Help section, or here http://www.chatzones.co.uk/cgi-bin/discus/discus.cgi?pg=formatting

• Copy the bit you want to quote, to the clipboard.
  • Type a backslash followed by the word "quote" without the quotemarks,
  • followed by a left brace (curly bracket),
  • paste in from the clipboard, then
  • type a right curly bracket

It also does bullet points
hth
--
Alan Winstanley
EPE Online Editor

Amr_bekhit
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 54

Posted on Wednesday, 10 August, 2005 - 12:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Hey! I just checked my trousers after putting a few drops of lemon juice and the stains are definately fading! Spot on, Mark! Woohoo!

--Amr

Dean_huster
Regular Contributor

Post Number: 37

Posted on Wednesday, 10 August, 2005 - 01:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

quote:

I just checked my trousers after putting a few drops of lemon juice and the stains are definately fading!

A big stain and a few drops of lemon juice could produce a "happy face" on your pants that will never go away. Now what? That's all you need is a face in your crotch staring at folks as you toodle down the sidewalk!

Dean

Arw
Board Administrator

Post Number: 121

Posted on Wednesday, 10 August, 2005 - 02:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

quote:

Hey! I just checked my trousers after putting a few drops of lemon juice and the stains are definately fading! Spot on, Mark! Woohoo!

--Amr

The remedy I've read about is 100ml of acetic acid (or strongest vinegar you can find) and 100g of common salt, so maybe try that.

One side effect is that it makes you smell like the apron of a fish and chip shop proprietor.
--
Alan Winstanley
EPE Online Editor

Amr_bekhit
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 55

Posted on Wednesday, 10 August, 2005 - 06:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

quote:

One side effect is that it makes you smell like the apron of a fish and chip shop proprietor.

I'll give it a go! Anything for my beloved trousers! And I can always wash them.

--Amr

(Message edited by amr_bekhit on 10 August, 2005)

Dean_huster
Regular Contributor

Post Number: 41

Posted on Wednesday, 10 August, 2005 - 11:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

The salt and vinegar mix is also the standard for making copper shiny.

Dean

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page