Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Effect of ROHS on the hobby market?

:: EPE Chat Zone ­:: ­Radio Bygones Message Board :: » EPE Forum Archives 2005-2006 » Archive through 23 August, 2005 » Effect of ROHS on the hobby market? « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mikehibbett
Frequent Contributor
Username: Mikehibbett

Post Number: 136

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, 16 August, 2005 - 09:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

The ROHS directive ( about reducing the amount of lead in products ) comes into effect next July. Electronics manufacturing companies like mine are taking it in our stride ( read: leaving it till the last minute! ) but it looks like the component suppliers are on the ball.

I'm wondering though just what kind of effect this is going to have on the supply of components to the hobby market? Whats going to happen to all these components floating around the supply chain that no longer meet ROHS in July next year? Are we going to see opportunities for obtaining cheap components, or are these going to dissappear into countries that dont care about ROHS?

Thoughts anyone?
-----
www.drivesentinel.co.uk - GPS Speed Camera Detectors and web doodles

Malcolm
Frequent Contributor
Username: Malcolm

Post Number: 36

Posted on Tuesday, 16 August, 2005 - 10:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

ICs are generally socketed in hobby projects, so I'm hoping that won't make much difference. Soldered components.. caps, resistors etc, I suppose we'll have to get used to the new solders. It's going to be a pain in the transition while I have stocks of both leaded and lead free components to go on the same pcb.

I have to admit that my first reaction on reading the lead-free soldering article in EPE a year or so ago was to go and stock up on enough lead/tin solder to hopefully last me the rest of my electronics hobby days. So I'm hoping there will be a glut of leaded components going cheap soon now..

Is all this ROHS OTT, do you think? I like to think I'm reasonably sympathetic to conservation issues, and I agree about not dumping nasty man-made chemicals and plastics etc in landfill, but lead occurs naturally in the environment anyway. Cornwall is made of the stuff, and seems quite a nice place really.

-- Malc

Mikehibbett
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 137

Posted on Tuesday, 16 August, 2005 - 10:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

>Is all this ROHS OTT, do you think? I

Well, being a bit of an armchair enviromentalist I'm happy enough to see lead coming out of the manufacturing process. But I think there is some hipocracy in the system, since car manufacturers (ie, car batteries) don't seem to be affected, as far as I know. Hey ho.
-----
www.drivesentinel.co.uk - Home build GPS Speed Camera Detectors

Grab
Regular Contributor
Username: Grab

Post Number: 35

Posted on Wednesday, 17 August, 2005 - 03:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Lead certainly does occur naturally, but usually tied up in rocks somewhere.

Thing is that it doesn't really affect Western countries too much. Where all this kind of thing will have an effect is in the places where "recycling" of PCBs happens. Mostly that's China or other places where people don't have rights, and life expectancy is pretty due to cadmium, lead, dioxins and other nasties. And the reason it gets shipped over there is that no-one over here would let it happen here, for that very reason. Yes, there's lots of hypocrisy in that system...

Graham.

Grab
Regular Contributor

Post Number: 36

Posted on Wednesday, 17 August, 2005 - 03:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Ironically, I saw this just after I posted...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/08/17/tech_detox

Graham.

PS. What got censored there in that earlier post? Do we have to write it days in order to get past the EPE Expletive Eliminator? Ho hum... ;-)

Grab
Regular Contributor

Post Number: 37

Posted on Wednesday, 17 August, 2005 - 03:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Oh wow, even using Leet-speak styly spelling gets filtered. I'm impressed!

Graham.

Mikehibbett
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 142

Posted on Wednesday, 17 August, 2005 - 04:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

lol. I'm still trying to work out what
••••••••••
spells.
Hum...
is it
••••••••••?

:o)
-----
www.drivesentinel.co.uk - Home build GPS Speed Camera Detectors

Arw
Board Administrator
Username: Arw

Post Number: 122

Posted on Wednesday, 17 August, 2005 - 08:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Not bad eh? ;-)
--
Alan Winstanley
EPE Online Editor

Eagre
Regular Contributor
Username: Eagre

Post Number: 26

Posted on Thursday, 18 August, 2005 - 12:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

As Mike mentions, lead-acid batteries in automobiles and other appliances have largely escaped regulatory control. This might seem odd, as these batteries are probably the greatest users of lead in the western world (since elimination of TEL in gasoline) and lead refining is the largest contributor to environmental lead pollution.

This nineteenth century technology persists, in spite of extremely low energy storage per unit weight, because it is cheap and it falls "under the radar". The purchaser of a new automobile doesn't ask about its battery, except perhaps the warranty. He is concerned with the total cost for the purchase.

Their is no motive for the manufacturer to increase the price by say 100 USD (or BP) fo a benefit the buyer cannot see. And, many auto manufacturers own, or have tie-ins with, battery manufacturers.

Ed Grens

Grab
Regular Contributor

Post Number: 38

Posted on Thursday, 18 August, 2005 - 06:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Cheap is one aspect with lead-acid batteries. The other point is that they don't take much high-tech stuff to make them work. If we switched to NiMH, we'd need some much more sophisticated charging equipment instead of the simple alternators today. You could also forget about jump-starting, because that would kill both batteries.

Graham.

Mark
Username: Mark

Post Number: 9

Posted on Friday, 19 August, 2005 - 12:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Did you know that CdS photo resistors are also going to be outlawed? Goodbye ORP12.

Just about everything with a light sensor has one.

Photodiodes are not the same because they have different spectral response (CdS match human eye pretty closely)

There are some new photodiodes with corrected response on the way -- but guess what! they cost four times as much. (and you have to observe polarity)

What about cadmium plated loudspeaker chassis and stuff (that goldy/green plating is everywhere)

Mark

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page