Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Power Supply Design

:: EPE Chat Zone ­:: ­Radio Bygones Message Board :: » EPE Forum Archives 2010 - » Archive through 26 May, 2010 » Power Supply Design « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

edgecrea
Valued Member
Username: edgecrea

Post Number: 15

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, 14 May, 2010 - 12:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi guys i need a simple 12vdc 5a supply for rc use any help :-)

bruce
Frequent Contributor
Username: bruce

Post Number: 329

Posted on Friday, 14 May, 2010 - 03:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you seriously want any help then you need to be a lot clearer about things. You can get 12V from an ordinary car battery, an SLA, a computer PSU or a nuclear power station. What are you trying to do?

phonoplug
Frequent Contributor
Username: phonoplug

Post Number: 82

Posted on Friday, 14 May, 2010 - 03:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Buy a 12V 5A power supply from Rapid or Farnell?

chippie
Frequent Contributor
Username: chippie

Post Number: 285

Posted on Friday, 14 May, 2010 - 04:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Use a pc power supply with a load on the 5v rail..That will give you sufficient power for charging r/c batteries
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

azayles
Frequent Contributor
Username: azayles

Post Number: 63

Posted on Friday, 14 May, 2010 - 05:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Connect lots of batteries together

(A vague answer for an equally vague question )
Keeping the Magic Smoke in since 1978

mee
Valued Member
Username: mee

Post Number: 11

Posted on Friday, 14 May, 2010 - 07:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi edgecrea. I don't know what rc (nor what r/c batteries) are, unless you meant 'rapid charge'.

Unless 'rc' is an application that requires low noise and minimal rf interference then 12V at 5A seems a clear specification to me.

The very best way of getting this is via a computer power supply. They are cheap yet they are put together with the aid of an astronomical amount of research and development. They have all sorts of protection measures built in and even half-decent ones are virtually indestructible. They're also highly efficient relative to a linear power supply.

I knew that a computer PSU (power supply unit) wouldn't work without a load, but I didn't know that the load had to be on the 5V rail exclusively. Thanks for that chippie.

If you go down this route, the only other thing you have to know is that one of the female pin receptacles on the PSU's connector has to be grounded to turn it on. From what I remember, it's the one with the green cable, but check that using an internet search.

Just a thought... Particularly if you use an older supply, check to make sure that the rail that you use can deliver at least 5A.

Good luck. Cheers, M

(Message edited by Mee on 14 May, 2010)

istedman
Frequent Contributor
Username: istedman

Post Number: 162

Posted on Friday, 14 May, 2010 - 09:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi

I use a modified ATX power supply to source 12V @ 10A for the charger for my Radio Controlled car.

To make the PSU work, I connected the PS-ON signal (green wire) to ground. There is no load on the +5V or +3.3V but of course there is a load on the +12V and the unit functions fine with just a load on the +12V supply.

I drilled the ATX case to add some 4mm jack plugs for connecting chargers and accessories. Take a look at the instructables website for some modification ideas.

Ian

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page