Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

19" Rack Information

:: EPE Chat Zone ­:: ­Radio Bygones Message Board :: » EPE Forum Archives 2010 - » Archive through 22 June, 2010 » 19" Rack Information « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Test Toneshamar07/06/10  08:51 pm
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

muskrat
Frequent Contributor
Username: muskrat

Post Number: 201

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, 18 May, 2010 - 04:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have googled unitl the computer got fed-up!

I am looking for the spec for 19" rack modules, specifically, the dimensions of a 2U module. I need to know the fastener spacing, actual behind-panel dimensions for goodies mounted to the panel so it will fit into the rack frame, what are the standard widths of plates etc., etc.

I can find plenty on the cabinets, but nothing on the modules that fit into them.

Maybe I am not entering the correct search phrase, but frustration rules!

I have built up some timing modules which I want to house. 19" rack seemed like a good way to go.

alec_t
Frequent Contributor
Username: alec_t

Post Number: 219

Posted on Tuesday, 18 May, 2010 - 05:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi,
Wikipedia gives the 2U module height and rack hole spacing/size. Clearly the module width is 19".
You may already have tried this Google link:-
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:olLhwmXCBnUJ:en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rack_unit+2u+rack+dimensions

Regards, Alec

grandad_fixit
Regular Contributor
Username: grandad_fixit

Post Number: 49

Posted on Tuesday, 18 May, 2010 - 10:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi,
I know this is not really what your after but when I was researching 19" units this popped up.
Definitely a bit over the top for me, but gave me some encouragement.

Given the cost of this kit you've got to admire him, but maybe a bit too much free time on his hands.

Regards,
GF

http://www.killswtch.net/2007/11/11/my-diy-19-rack/

mee
Regular Contributor
Username: mee

Post Number: 24

Posted on Tuesday, 18 May, 2010 - 10:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi muskrat. I've had this problem myself. I don't think that there's anything in the specifications for 19in rack mounting kit that specifies any useful internal dimensions. Seems to me they are not defined.

Rack mounting kit is used in anything from recording studios to EMP bunkers, which may explain why the case wall thickness isn't defined.

Usually though, the case is made from steel sheet so allow a 2mm reduction on the outside dimension. The front panel is usually 3mm thick aluminium. From what I remember, the front panel thickness doesn't reduce the internal dimension by anything other than the thickness of the back panel. But as I said, I don't think there's a standard so check the dimensions of what you are buying.

Have a search for "rack mounting cases" at:

www.maplin.co.uk

This is no reference work, but it may help. The diagrams there can be blown up.

There's quite a lot of room in a 2U case.

I'm sure that you've found out that a 'U' is 1.75in, but just in case...

Good luck

grandad_fixit
Regular Contributor
Username: grandad_fixit

Post Number: 50

Posted on Tuesday, 18 May, 2010 - 11:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Muskrat,
I've sent you an article about making attractive rack panels with all dimensions etc etc.
Hope it's of use.
Regards
GF

joe
:::: Super User ::::
Username: joe

Post Number: 784

Posted on Wednesday, 19 May, 2010 - 06:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brian,

Farnell Electronics in the UK have a good selection (expensive as well) when it comes to 19" stuff.

It's worth a browse of their site just to look at the datasheets available, and it may give you some ideas.

These links may be of some use:
http://www.vectorelect.com/Product/Subracks/EFP-Module.htm

http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/73301.pdf

http://www.vectorelect.com/Product/Subracks/CCK13-Series.htm

I bought a 3U case to hold some custom control electronics for installation into a standard Dell 19" 42U rack - cost an arm and a leg and it really wasn't anything special.

Joe
Read my ramblings - www.techbites.com/joe-farr

muskrat
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 202

Posted on Wednesday, 19 May, 2010 - 07:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

The costs here are way more than an arm and a leg!! One needs to win the lottery!

I want to build up the modules to look reasonably professional, so working to a recognised standard where someone else has done all the grunge work would be useful.

I found the EIA and DIN specs on the web, but an arm and a leg is required simply for the privilege of reading the spec.

I'm going to get hold of my component supplier to see if they have a catalogue lying around that they could donate to the cause.

Thanks again everyone.

alec_t
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 220

Posted on Wednesday, 19 May, 2010 - 12:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any chance you could put a tape measure in your pocket and measure up some actual kit in 19" racks (school, office block, telephone exchange, supermarket, hospital, studio ....), or perhaps you know a man who can ??

Cheers, Alec

muskrat
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 203

Posted on Wednesday, 19 May, 2010 - 12:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

@Alec - now why didn't I think of that?

alec_t
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 221

Posted on Wednesday, 19 May, 2010 - 02:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe because your farm, in its tranquil setting, is 297 km from the nearest school, office block ......

Cheers, Alec

muskrat
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 204

Posted on Wednesday, 19 May, 2010 - 04:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ha ha! You're WAY out. It's 200kms - round trip!

kolbep
Frequent Contributor
Username: kolbep

Post Number: 88

Posted on Wednesday, 19 May, 2010 - 04:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

19 Inch Rach Specifications and Dimensions

http://www.brenclosures.com.au/19-inch-rack.htm

P

muskrat
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 205

Posted on Wednesday, 19 May, 2010 - 06:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Peter, but it's not the rack frame I'm after. I need the standards for individual modules that fit into the, for instance, 2U cage. I know that there are standard widths for these modules, with correct hole spacing so various modules of differing (standard) widths can be placed side by side to fill a 19" cage.
I last played with this stuff about 25 years ago. We used to build all our electronic equipment into neat little modules that all magically fitted together - looked real cool. Customers were impressed too!
Thanks anyway.

mee
Regular Contributor
Username: mee

Post Number: 26

Posted on Wednesday, 19 May, 2010 - 07:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi. It wasn't clear to me what you were looking for until this last post. It's difficult to find any information, but these two links took me to the nearest that I could get with a quick search:

http://uk.farnell.com/enclosures-racks-cabinets_accessories

http://www.hammondmfg.com/racks.htm

Cheers, M

gordon
Frequent Contributor
Username: gordon

Post Number: 581

Posted on Thursday, 20 May, 2010 - 03:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This link to RS might have some of the info. you are looking for.

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/searchBrowseAction.html?method=searchProducts&searchTerm=2u+cases&x=27&y=13

dean_huster
Frequent Contributor
Username: dean_huster

Post Number: 280

Posted on Friday, 21 May, 2010 - 01:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting. 19-inch relay racks in the land of metric measurements. I take it that there isn't a metric version of the rack, considering that racked equipment has to be compatible.

Tell me, is the mounting screw standard here in the U.S. (10-32 UNC thread specification) the same on the other side of the pond or has that one spot gone metric?

Dean

muskrat
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 206

Posted on Friday, 21 May, 2010 - 04:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And therein lies a huge problem. As far as I can see, they're all still imperial measurements, making some really weird metric dimensions.

While the idea was a good one, I've decided to make up my own enclosure with the help of my friendly neighbourhood laser cutting mates, and a fair amount of ingenuity.

Thanks for all the suggestions and links, but I'll go my own way on this one.

terrym
Frequent Contributor
Username: terrym

Post Number: 765

Posted on Friday, 21 May, 2010 - 01:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just document it well for the future . Good Luck.

TM

alec_t
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 225

Posted on Saturday, 22 May, 2010 - 09:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

@muskrat
If you've got the freeware Eagle 5.6.0 PCB CAD program, it has a 19"-rack symbol library with a few entries showing Eurocard and connector details. Not much, but it may be of some use.

Cheers, Alec

jameselstone
Username: jameselstone

Post Number: 6

Posted on Sunday, 06 June, 2010 - 10:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi muskrat

Hope this helps:
Below are the dimensions for a sub rack chassis assembly (from design spec not measured) and have included some picture showing orientations and other dimensions for you.

The metric measurements you will need are for a standard 19" rack mounted chassis are as follows:

Height
2 U

Height H
88 mm

h
86 mm

h1
57.5 mm

h2
76.2 mm

Depth D
314.5 mm

Dimensions 1
Rack Chassis 1

Dimensions 2
Rack Chassis 2

Dimensions 3
Rack Chassis 3

Let me know if it is of any help!

Regards,

James.

(P.S. This information is freely on the internet, it is a matter of knowing where to look!)

(Message edited by JamesElstone on 06 June, 2010)

muskrat
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 216

Posted on Tuesday, 08 June, 2010 - 05:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for all the info, but I've decided to build my own enclosure and rack system for this project.

These things are incredibly expensive, I'll need a few of them, and can't see myself winning the lottery anytime soon!

Thanks again, but there's no need to add anything more here.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page