Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Noise Reduction Techniques

:: EPE Chat Zone ­:: ­Radio Bygones Message Board :: » EPE Forum Archives 2010 - » Archive through 26 September, 2010 » Noise Reduction Techniques « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

muskrat
Frequent Contributor
Username: muskrat

Post Number: 303

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, 25 September, 2010 - 02:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My moisture sensor produces a 0-5V DC level proportional to the moisture level in the hydroponics bag.

Under normal "wetness" conditions, the level is approximately 2.5V.

The sensor probes are selected by a 2-wire transmission system, utilising pulses at a frequency of about 1KHz.

I have been getting inconsistent readings of the sensor voltage. Putting the 'scope to good use shows the actual level from the moisture sensor to be stable, but there is a certain amount of noise super-imposed on the signal. It looks as if these noise pulses are coming from the 2-wire signals.

The noise is present as pulses over a larger amplitude than the 2.5V level.

I have tried a simple RC filter but am still getting the noise.

How would I go about reducing the level of interference without compromising the integrity of the DC signal I require?

Brian

gajjer
Frequent Contributor
Username: gajjer

Post Number: 338

Posted on Saturday, 25 September, 2010 - 04:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi muskrat
have you any idea where the noise is coming from?
Can you be more specific about what frequency, amplitude and waveform of the noise?

cheers
gaj

muskrat
Frequent Contributor
Username: muskrat

Post Number: 304

Posted on Saturday, 25 September, 2010 - 05:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll scope the line with a bit more diligence in the morning and post the findings.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page