Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

CMOS oscillator problem

:: EPE Chat Zone ­:: ­Radio Bygones Message Board :: » EPE Forum Archives 2010 - » Archive through 03 February, 2011 » Computer fan as anemometer » CMOS oscillator problem « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

bruce
Frequent Contributor
Username: bruce

Post Number: 532

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, 22 January, 2011 - 07:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi,
This is really a follow-up to a previous thread of mine in which I was having troube clocking a counter. Thanks for all your help: it was in fact the oscillator. CMOS inverter oscillators make cheap timers, but for digital clocking you need to use Schmitt devices.
My circuit finally worked as advertised; well, almost. The time frame before the device tripped was unexpected ( too long ). The timing components were a resistor and an electrolytic capacitor. Suspecting the capacitor, I changed it to a polystyrene type ( or similar hi quality component ) It still doesnt work properly.
The resistor is 5Meg, the capacitor 1uF. The period I calculated as 10 secs ( roughly ). When I started the circuit up, I did indeed get a period of around 10 secs. However, an hour later it had changed to nearer 5 secs. This is something I've not encountered before and is making life very difficult.
Does anyone have any bright ideas ( apart from changing my hobby )

Bruce

alec_t
Frequent Contributor
Username: alec_t

Post Number: 464

Posted on Sunday, 23 January, 2011 - 12:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...er, this shouldn't really be a sub-thread of the 'computer fan' thread, Bruce. I blame the software. Perhaps ARW could shift it?

If this is an actual circuit rather than a simulation, I'd suspect moisture may be shunting the 5 Meg and/or C. Could you not reduce the time constant to 0.5 sec and clock a secondary counter to get your 10 sec period?

Alec

bruce
Frequent Contributor
Username: bruce

Post Number: 534

Posted on Sunday, 23 January, 2011 - 12:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alec,
Sorry about that: I've been caught out again, thinking I was in the root directory, when I wasnt.
I'll restart the thread.

B

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page