Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

The attraction of magnets

:: EPE Chat Zone ­:: ­Radio Bygones Message Board :: » EPE Forum Archives 2010 - » Archive through 21 February, 2011 » The attraction of magnets « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

alec_t
Frequent Contributor
Username: alec_t

Post Number: 511

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, 11 February, 2011 - 10:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kids (adults too!) can get hours of fun from playing with magnets, and junked electrical/electronic gear provides a good source of magnets of various types to keep the little monkeys busy (providing they're over the age when they're likely to swallow the magnets!!) :-

magnets

The 'eyebrows' were from a disk-drive motor, the 'eye' on the left from a stepper-motor, the 'eye' on the right from a loudspeaker, the 'nose' from an earpiece and the 'mouth' from a VCR motor.
The red 'tongue' is a length of mains cable core forming a handle, without which my grandkids couldn't remove the magnet from the fridge door!

Alec

steerpike
Frequent Contributor
Username: steerpike

Post Number: 529

Posted on Friday, 11 February, 2011 - 10:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah, the young people of today have it so good. The horseshoe magnets I had in my childbearing days were barely able to lift the paperclip attached to a cardboard cutout of a fish.

Try that with a modern hard-disc-drive actuator motor magnet and you'll have all the fish in the bucket on your rod.

muskrat
Frequent Contributor
Username: muskrat

Post Number: 349

Posted on Saturday, 12 February, 2011 - 08:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Waaaaaaayy too much time on your hands!!!

alec_t
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 514

Posted on Saturday, 12 February, 2011 - 11:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not on those days when we baby-sit the grandkids!

muskrat
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 350

Posted on Saturday, 12 February, 2011 - 11:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe I should get lessons. I am about to become a grandfather for the first time - mid to late March. Really looking forward to it.

Won't be baby-sitting, though, I'm in Africa, son and family in UK.

joe
:::: Super User ::::
Username: joe

Post Number: 1043

Posted on Saturday, 12 February, 2011 - 12:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brian, your not thinking 21st century.

You need one of those cheap robotic arms, PC, web cam and a PIC to control it all at your families location, and a joystick and PC at your end :-)

Remote controlled fishing...

Would actually make a cool project.

(Message edited by joe on 12 February, 2011)
Read my ramblings - www.techbites.com/joe-farr

muskrat
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 351

Posted on Saturday, 12 February, 2011 - 03:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK Joe .... yet another hare-brained idea. The only difference is that this time it came from you!!

However .... I like it! They - yes .. twins, boy and girl - haven't even been born yet, so this is all a bit premature. BUT, a project of this magnitude will HAVE to fully tested for functionality, safety and fun factor.

My son and I are going to declare ourselves official testers of the remote magnetic fishing system. Could take several months .... hmmmm, where do I begin???

Thanks Joe - seriously inspirational post!

twintub
Frequent Contributor
Username: twintub

Post Number: 146

Posted on Sunday, 13 February, 2011 - 12:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This thread reminds me of a simple 'party trick':

Parts list:
Powerful but small cylindrical magnet such as Maplin YA29G.
Steel woodscrew - e.g No8 35mm.
AA alkaline cell.
Wire circa 100mm. (insulated hook-up wire will do, with the ends bared and twisted).

Using these four items, find a way to make an electric motor!

I'm sure some (all?) of you may know the answer to this teaser already, but I'll hold off with the solution for now!

muskrat
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 352

Posted on Friday, 18 February, 2011 - 12:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know this has absolutely nothing to do with the thread - so apologies in advance.

At 02:25 I became the proud Grand Father to Harry and Niamh. Welcome to the world. Soldering irons and a bag full of useful components are in the post.

terry
Frequent Contributor
Username: terry

Post Number: 618

Posted on Friday, 18 February, 2011 - 08:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congrats ;)

Terry

atferrari
Frequent Contributor
Username: atferrari

Post Number: 1025

Posted on Friday, 18 February, 2011 - 11:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congratulations!

Is Niamh a girl?
Agustín Tomás - Buenos Aires - Argentina

muskrat
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 353

Posted on Friday, 18 February, 2011 - 01:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes. Niamh is a girl's name. It is of Irish origin, meaning 'radiant' or 'bright'. Really cool name! imho!

alec_t
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 522

Posted on Friday, 18 February, 2011 - 03:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congratulations, Brian. And to son and family, too, of course!

Alec

ant
Frequent Contributor
Username: ant

Post Number: 769

Posted on Saturday, 19 February, 2011 - 08:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello all,

My party trick - for when they're a little older - is pre-sliced bananas. Take a sewing needle, stick it in the side of the banana and move it from side to side. Remove, repeat as required. Great fun!

Regards Ant

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page