Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Battery labelling

:: EPE Chat Zone ­:: ­Radio Bygones Message Board :: » EPE Forum Archives 2010 - » Archive through 22 March, 2011 » Battery labelling « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

bruce
Frequent Contributor
Username: bruce

Post Number: 572

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, 10 March, 2011 - 06:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello all,
I like a joke as much as the next guy, so I was intrigued to see this. At my local Sainsburys they have a box where you can recycle your old batteries. It's locked, but so many people had discarded old batteries that there was a pile on top, from which I nicked a couple of PP3s. Now, the PP3 is a horrid battery, of no use to man nor beast, but I re-use the connectors.
I had an ASDA PP3, the case of which looked like this:

ASDA  PP3 case

However, when I ripped the case open, guess what there was on the other side?

PANASONIC   PP3

Honestly, you just cant trust anybody.

bruce

twintub
Frequent Contributor
Username: twintub

Post Number: 163

Posted on Thursday, 10 March, 2011 - 10:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bruce, are you suggesting that the factory that made this for Sainbury's, just reverses the 'double-printed' case part when they want to sell the same thing but cloned as the Panasonic brand?

(Message edited by twintub on 10 March, 2011)

ant
Frequent Contributor
Username: ant

Post Number: 777

Posted on Thursday, 10 March, 2011 - 10:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello all,

Why not? I know someone whose job involved production line inspections in the food industry - it was common to see, say, chickens arriving on a conveyor and going down one side for a supermarket brand and the other side of the row of processors for another supermarket or recognised brand. Even the eye-drops that I've been experimenting with, looking for compatibility with me, seem to come in identical bottles!

Regards Ant

stylers
Frequent Contributor
Username: stylers

Post Number: 191

Posted on Thursday, 10 March, 2011 - 11:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

strange that the case should be double sided.. GP make a lot of the worlds consumer batteries and re-package / re-brand for whoever is buying them..

bruce
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 573

Posted on Friday, 11 March, 2011 - 12:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Twintub,
I'm not necessarily suggesting that, or anything else that I could be sued for.
There could be any number of explanations; legal or illegal. Your guess is as good as mine. Unless you work in the factory that's doing it.

bruce

joe
:::: Super User ::::
Username: joe

Post Number: 1051

Posted on Friday, 11 March, 2011 - 08:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its also interesting that the Sainsbury's battery picture was of a PP3 (which is a 9v battery), and the bottom Panasonic picture says it's a 1.5v.

Perhaps somebody should Email Sainsbury's and ask them.
Read my ramblings - www.techbites.com/joe-farr

bruce
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 574

Posted on Friday, 11 March, 2011 - 09:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello Joe 'Eagle-eyes',
I hadnt spotted that ( or the fact that it isnt an ASDA battery, like I said, but a Sainsburys one. I got muddled, because the other PP3 I nicked was an ASDA one, but the reverse of that case was blank, as you'd expect. )

Anyway, what do you reckon? Conspiracy or Cock-up?

bruce

joe
:::: Super User ::::
Username: joe

Post Number: 1052

Posted on Friday, 11 March, 2011 - 11:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm guessing neither...

It's no great suprise that Sainsburys, ASDA, TESCO etc don't actually make their own batteries, but buy them from some company.

Perhaps Panasonic ordered a gazillion batteries then pulled out of the order and to save costs, the battery makers just turned the metal sheets over and printed on the other side.

On the plus side, that paint coating on the inside probably helps make the battery more resilient against leaking.
I'm suprised they didn't charge more for them !!
Read my ramblings - www.techbites.com/joe-farr

arw
Board Administrator
Username: arw

Post Number: 991

Posted on Friday, 11 March, 2011 - 02:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Depends on their remaining capacity as to how much more you can charge them :-)

It'll probably be the battery maker reusing tinplate stock, by having it printed on the reverse. The tinplate will be made at a separate plant, and probably delivered to the battery factory in strips or rolls.
Alan Winstanley -- EPE Magazine Online Editor
Subscribe now at www.epemag.com!

www.EPEmag.net - hobby electronics and more

alec_t
Frequent Contributor
Username: alec_t

Post Number: 543

Posted on Friday, 11 March, 2011 - 07:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It certainly casts doubt on the reliability of comparisons, by consumer organisations etc, of the relative capacities/lives of batteries of different brands, when all the batteries probably come off the same factory production line!

Alec

twintub
Frequent Contributor
Username: twintub

Post Number: 164

Posted on Saturday, 12 March, 2011 - 07:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have always been loathe to buy Duracell in the past due to the rediculous high price demanded for them, and have usually bought 'branded' cells from what I thought were trustworthy names - Panasonic etc. However, I have had trouble with these brands, such as cells being unable to deliver much current despite measuring fresh at 1.5V i.e. they have high impedance. I had a TV remote control play-up recently, the cells were 'Philips' and measured 1.5V off-load but this sunk to the depths when a few milliamps was drawn by the remote!

It now seems that perhaps only Duracell (and maybe Energizer) are guaranteed to perform properly, but there's no way I'm going to take out a second mortgage for those!

What other brands have any of you found to be good performers?

bruce
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 575

Posted on Saturday, 12 March, 2011 - 08:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The answer to that question is that I rarely mess with alkaline batteries, but use NiCads. The only difficulty is that some devices ( I have a Samsung camera which is a total pain ) wont work with 4 Nicads, only with 4 alkalines.

bruce

dave_g
Frequent Contributor
Username: dave_g

Post Number: 670

Posted on Saturday, 12 March, 2011 - 10:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is the usual own brand problem. It'll be Panasonic this week, Toshiba next, Philips the week after, etc..

hackinblack
Frequent Contributor
Username: hackinblack

Post Number: 540

Posted on Sunday, 13 March, 2011 - 06:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

my geriatric sony digital camera will run for days on the same batteries that'her' new samsung digi shuts down on;alkaline or NimH seems to make bog all differencei hate to think what the current draw of the stoopid thing is...

alec_t
Frequent Contributor
Username: alec_t

Post Number: 545

Posted on Sunday, 13 March, 2011 - 11:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Presumably the processors in some cameras (including that Samsung, my present Canon and my wife's Kodak) aren't happy running on anything less than 3V, hence require 2 fresh alkaline cells. If only the wretched chips were designed to run on 2V-3V we could have longer battery life and/or use NiCd/NimH cells.
I think a major current hog in many cameras is the flash, which charges up by default at power-on. I would prefer no flash by default.

Alec

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page