Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

JAL - Just Another Language

:: EPE Chat Zone ­:: ­Radio Bygones Message Board :: » EPE Forum Archives 2010 - » Archive through 08 April, 2011 » JAL - Just Another Language « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

gew
Regular Contributor
Username: gew

Post Number: 21

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, 15 March, 2011 - 08:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone use JAL to program PIC? I'm thinking of downloading JAL, what's the pros & cons?
I'm using windows 7

mikehibbett
Frequent Contributor
Username: mikehibbett

Post Number: 1197

Posted on Tuesday, 15 March, 2011 - 08:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Doesn't look like there are any cons. It has a very limited selection of target processors ( 16c84, 16f84, 12c508, 12c509, 16F877 and Ubicom SX (SX18 and SX28 ) but if you are ok with that, I'd say try it. On the Pic16 and Pic12 family of processors you wouldn't want to use 'C', unless you are a 'C' fan.

OK one small con: you are investing the time to learn a language of limited application. But that might not be an issue for you. It's a personal decision :o)

Oh, a link to the project site would be useful:

http://jal.sourceforge.net/

Cheers,

Mike

(Message edited by mikehibbett on 15 March, 2011)

atferrari
Frequent Contributor
Username: atferrari

Post Number: 1047

Posted on Wednesday, 16 March, 2011 - 01:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Didn't the author discontinued his support?

Read something like that somewhere.
Agustín Tomás - Buenos Aires - Argentina

joe
:::: Super User ::::
Username: joe

Post Number: 1061

Posted on Wednesday, 16 March, 2011 - 04:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As Agustin says, I think that the original author abandoned JAL but another group picked it up and there is now a JAL2

http://www.casadeyork.com/jalv2/

The device support is now rather impressive as are the language extensions / bug fixes etc... and of course, it's free !!

Loads of info, libraries etc here: http://www.robh.nl/
(You do need to explore this site as there's a lot of info here including a list of supported devices; 18F's are now supported...)

Not sure it will ever become main-stream but it's supposed to be PASCAL like, and that may suit some people better than "C" or Assembler. Being free also makes it cheaper then all of the PIC BASIC's I'm aware of.

I also think the source code is available, so if you should need to make extensions, bug fixes and the group has dispanded, you are at least in with a fighting chance.

I guess you'd have to download and play with it to see if it's for you, but besides the lack of being a main-stream (at least for now) development tool set, I can't see any "cons" to using it, especially if it's for your own personal projects and enjoyment (some employers can be funny about using these types of tool-sets).

If you do give it a try, let us know how you get on.
Read my ramblings - www.techbites.com/joe-farr

gew
Regular Contributor
Username: gew

Post Number: 22

Posted on Friday, 18 March, 2011 - 02:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tranks for info guys.
I'm thinking of starting my hobby again, I need a fridge alarm.
i will start with logic chip's & go from there.

mikehibbett
Frequent Contributor
Username: mikehibbett

Post Number: 1199

Posted on Tuesday, 22 March, 2011 - 08:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had a laugh at the guy's explanation for why he come up with the language:

"I didn't like using C on these microcontrollers, because it isn't quite proper C"

So he invented a language that isn't quite Pascal.

Back where he started me thinks :o)

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page