Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

UV PCB exposure unit

:: EPE Chat Zone ­:: ­Radio Bygones Message Board :: » EPE Forum Archives 2010 - » Archive through 01 June, 2011 » UV PCB exposure unit « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

alec_t
Frequent Contributor
Username: alec_t

Post Number: 627

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, 28 April, 2011 - 08:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm thinking of making a small, cheap unit for single-side UV exposure of PCBs up to about 6in x 4in (15cm x 10cm). Any recommendations for the tubes (size, wavelength, price, UK availability)? I'm proposing to drive the tubes with ballasts stripped from CFLs (8-15 W rating).

Alec

joe
:::: Super User ::::
Username: joe

Post Number: 1086

Posted on Thursday, 28 April, 2011 - 08:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can use UV LEDs:
http://hobbyelectronics.weebly.com/uv-exposure-unit.html

Or standard UV tubes; as sold by Rapid in the UK. Part number: 34-0709 - 15 Watt replacement tubes, or 34-0707 for 8 Watt tubes.

I would probably go for the smaller wattage tubes as depending on the transparencies you will be using, the 15 watt may be too bright.

Brighter is not always better.

Joe
Read my ramblings - www.techbites.com/joe-farr

terrym
Frequent Contributor
Username: terrym

Post Number: 999

Posted on Friday, 29 April, 2011 - 03:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw a site just recently where they used a single 5w UV LED. Worked, but exposure time was about 6 minutes.
Boards were max about 100mm square from memory.
Will post link if I can find it.

This is'nt the one I saw, but it also uses a single 5w UV LED:-

http://yveslebrac.blogspot.com/2010/11/single-led-uv-pcb-exposure-box.html

TM

alec_t
Frequent Contributor
Username: alec_t

Post Number: 628

Posted on Friday, 29 April, 2011 - 12:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

Alec

mikeb
Frequent Contributor
Username: mikeb

Post Number: 452

Posted on Friday, 29 April, 2011 - 03:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With s bit of thought, you could make the box a little deeper and leave space for two sheets of glass plus the pcb.

This will give you an easy transiton to double sided, which is only a matter of time.

rgds

mb

hackinblack
Frequent Contributor
Username: hackinblack

Post Number: 544

Posted on Wednesday, 04 May, 2011 - 09:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

would the UV led's actually, produce the right wavelength UV? i think they are normally used to make things flouresce under their beam,not expose PCB phototresistthough i could be (and frequently am!)wrong

terrym
Frequent Contributor
Username: terrym

Post Number: 1000

Posted on Thursday, 05 May, 2011 - 02:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They are pretty close, somewhere around 405nm as opossed to 365? or so needed for PCB's.

They just take a little longer to give the correct exposure.

TM

joe
:::: Super User ::::
Username: joe

Post Number: 1089

Posted on Thursday, 05 May, 2011 - 06:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The UV resist on the board is sensitive to wavelengths around the 340nm to 420nm mark.

Traditional UV tubes emit UV light at a wavelength of around 350nm.

UV LED's (though I suppose it depends on the type of LED of course), emit at 400 to 405 nm.

Exposure time is directly related to the light output strength of the UV source, distance of the board from UV source and the type of media used for the artwork.

Joe
Read my ramblings - www.techbites.com/joe-farr

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page