Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Pickit2 problem

:: EPE Chat Zone ­:: ­Radio Bygones Message Board :: » EPE Forum Archives 2010 - » Archive through 08 November, 2011 » Pickit2 problem « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

mel
Frequent Contributor
Username: mel

Post Number: 107

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, 08 October, 2011 - 02:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I purchased my Pickit2 when EPE had the special offer on, I have been using it on my desktop computer & it has been fine. I recently inherited an old laptop (Compaq EVO N400c, 850Mhz proscessor 256 MB Ram... I said it was ancient!) & thought I would install the pickit2 on this instead of my desktop.The program installed ok, but I cannot get it to open when I click on the pickit2 icon, with the pickit2 plugged into the USB port, it just freezes/hangs with all 3 leds turned on untill I unplug the usb plug on the Pickit2. when I do this then the program opens.Has anybody else had this happen? or any ideas what it may be?

mel
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 108

Posted on Saturday, 08 October, 2011 - 02:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Should have added,the laptop is running windows xp

alec_t
Frequent Contributor
Username: alec_t

Post Number: 726

Posted on Saturday, 08 October, 2011 - 04:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Could this be a USB version issue?
If Pickit2 is USB2 and the laptop hardware only handles USB1 (WinXP should cope with either) that might account for the symptoms you describe.

Does it make any difference if the Pickit 2 is plugged in before or after trying to open the program?

mikehibbett
Frequent Contributor
Username: mikehibbett

Post Number: 1237

Posted on Sunday, 09 October, 2011 - 10:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is the account you are logged in on an Administrator account? It's possible that the drivers did not install when you installed the pickit software.

Mike.

mel
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 109

Posted on Sunday, 09 October, 2011 - 10:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes Mike I am logged in as administrator.
Alec according to the spec I found about Pickit2 it just says a USB port required doesn't mention USB1 or USB2. If I open the program with nothing plugged into the USB port, then it opens as normal with the message pickit2 not found.If I then plug in Pickit2 into the usb port & try to do anything then the program promptly freezes. If I try to open program with the pickit2 plugged in then the program doesn't open.

alec_t
Frequent Contributor
Username: alec_t

Post Number: 727

Posted on Sunday, 09 October, 2011 - 11:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Assuming the laptop has more than one USB port, have you tried the Pickit in different ports? Some installs seem to grab only one particular port.

mel
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 110

Posted on Sunday, 09 October, 2011 - 11:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes Alec the laptop has 2 USB ports & I have tried it in both with the same results.

joe
:::: Super User ::::
Username: joe

Post Number: 1177

Posted on Sunday, 09 October, 2011 - 12:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mel,

How about trying to connected a powered USB hub to the LapTop, and then the PICKIT to that; perhaps the laptop can't supply enough power.

Also, I assume you've tried some other USB device on those ports just to make sure they work.

Regards,
Joe

mel
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 111

Posted on Sunday, 09 October, 2011 - 01:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Joe
Just tried what you said, connected a Powered USB hub, & it didn't work I'm afraid.....still freezing! also I use an external hardrive on either USB port on the laptop which works ok.

arw
Board Administrator
Username: arw

Post Number: 1089

Posted on Sunday, 09 October, 2011 - 03:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe try un-installing it, then plug the PICkit2 back in, and it should prompt for drivers again?

Or try the other way round, install the software first and then plug the PICkit in.

Is XP up to date, with .NET framework?

Firmware etc updates for PICkit2 are available here http://preview.tinyurl.com/3r9mdq

-- Alan W
Alan Winstanley -- EPE Magazine Online Editor
Subscribe now at www.epemag.com!

www.EPEmag.net - hobby electronics and more

terrym
Frequent Contributor
Username: terrym

Post Number: 1078

Posted on Monday, 10 October, 2011 - 12:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It sounds like a USB driver problem. Unfortunately, the way XP works, doing an un-install will not remove all the Pickit 2 usb stuff. You need to edit the registry for that.
From memory , there was a seperate uninstaller on the Microchip site for the Pickit.
Also, are the problems when you run MPlab or Pickits own standalone software?

mel
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 112

Posted on Monday, 10 October, 2011 - 10:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I tried all you said Alan & still the same.
Terrym I used true image to clone my hard drive before I installed Pickit2, so restoring the Cdrive with True Image effectively takes me back (& the registry) to before Pickit2 was installed. I am wondering if anybody out there is running Pickit2 with USB1?

arw
Board Administrator
Username: arw

Post Number: 1090

Posted on Monday, 10 October, 2011 - 11:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's the spec of your laptop,

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/10844_div/10844_div.HTML

I kind of worry that the USB is just too slow. I don't know if PICkit works with a USB-serial adaptor (or whether it's bidirectional) but the serial port is probably too slow as well. Is it worth dinking around in the BIOS to see if there's any USB-related settings in there?

Back to finishing December Net Work before I get shouted at ;-)
Alan Winstanley -- EPE Magazine Online Editor
Subscribe now at www.epemag.com!

www.EPEmag.net - hobby electronics and more

mel
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 113

Posted on Monday, 10 October, 2011 - 04:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think I tend to agree Alan, that the USB is too slow. I tried in the BIOS but there was only one thing relating to USB ( for usb keyboard I think) I tried both settings & it did not work on either setting. I then formatted the hard drive C & Installed windows XP again + service pack 3, reinstalled .NET Framework + service pack2 & Pickit2 but it still wont work. So I will wait to see if any body comes back to me who is using Pickit2 with USB1. Thanks for trying to help everyone!

gizo
Frequent Contributor
Username: gizo

Post Number: 73

Rating: 
Votes: 1 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, 11 October, 2011 - 02:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Older, and some newer, notebooks had one of those slots which can take all sorts of adaptors, modems, hard drives, TV etc. Variously called PCMCIA cards, PC Express slot etc.

Does your computer have one of those, shown at (9) on arw's post?

I have a USB 3 adaptor for one of my (newish PC) notebooks, it was just a few $$, shown here :::

(Site is a pain on my computer ... go to "English" and type "express" in the search box).

www.soly-tech.com

Note that there are now various form factors for these cards, leading to non compatible plugability.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ExpressCard

mel
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 114

Posted on Tuesday, 11 October, 2011 - 04:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That seems like a good idea Gizo!, I will get one now & let you know if it works.

mel
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 115

Rating: 
Votes: 1 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, 13 October, 2011 - 01:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I ordered from Ebay a "PCMCIA USB2.0 CARDBUS CARD ADAPTER 2 PORTS USB 2.0 PORT" on Tuesday & It arrived today. I am pleased to report that Pickit2 is now working ok with no problems.
Thanks to everyone who tried to help,& to Gizo for cracking the problem...... much appreciated!
Mel

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page