Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Reflow oven

:: EPE Chat Zone ­:: ­Radio Bygones Message Board :: » EPE Forum Archives 2010 - » Archive through 08 November, 2011 » Reflow oven « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

mel
Frequent Contributor
Username: mel

Post Number: 116

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, 20 October, 2011 - 10:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just wondered ...Has anybody brought something like this off of Ebay, & whether it's any good?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130586260128&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:GB:1123

frankvh
Valued Member
Username: frankvh

Post Number: 17

Posted on Thursday, 20 October, 2011 - 11:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.avrfreaks.net/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=101133

http://forum.sparkfun.com/viewtopic.php?t=16824

gizo
Frequent Contributor
Username: gizo

Post Number: 74

Posted on Friday, 21 October, 2011 - 12:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Better check the postage if you buy there!
It is nearly the price of the oven.

I have not tried any reflow techniques, but I have a problem coming up to lift an 18 pin SMD PIC off a board and replace it, so I will try my hand with an iron.
I think that I have seen some hints somewhere for this.
The board is cheap so I have no problem scrapping it.

Q. I am missing something.....
With an oven what happens to the other components on the board e.g electros if you cannot localise the heat?
Or is this just used for unpopulated boards.

frankvh
Valued Member
Username: frankvh

Post Number: 18

Posted on Friday, 21 October, 2011 - 12:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The ovens are (primarily) used for populating unpopulated boards.

For your case, lifting a single chip off a populated board, you'd want a hot-air station or similar.

terrym
Frequent Contributor
Username: terrym

Post Number: 1081

Posted on Friday, 21 October, 2011 - 12:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is not a bad price, including freight. The opposition mag is selling one at ten times the price.

A friend has one and is very impressed with it. Double check that you will not need more "soldering" area", it is not overly large in this model. There is a bigger one available in China.

TM

dselec
Frequent Contributor
Username: dselec

Post Number: 231

Posted on Friday, 21 October, 2011 - 10:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Depends on what you need .
if your your home lab here are several options
the best is a heat gun i use a electrical solder pump in reverse it can blowout 550 deg heat air .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqYjPJJBiZo&feature=related

phonoplug
Frequent Contributor
Username: phonoplug

Post Number: 239

Posted on Friday, 21 October, 2011 - 10:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have the old Elektor one which isn't dis-similar to the Ebay ones. The 'new' Elektor one is totally different by the way, but for the price, well, you can pretty much get a conveyor one for that price.

Back to the Ebay ones. They won't be great. Don't expect them to work reliably without a lot of use 'getting to know' it. That'll be some over cooked boards and some times having to put them through more than once.

Some tips you might find very helpful if you do end up buying one:
1) After each run make sure the oven has completely cooled to ambient inside (I use a 12" desk fan to cool it) before running it again. otherwise the internal temperature sensors will be some 20 or more degrees ahead and subsequent runs won't get the boards hot enough.
2) I run mine with the drawer ajar. This totally changes the temperatures inside, but does mean the boards don't get anywhere near as dark after baking because the fumes are able to escape.
3) Don't think the whole area of the drawer is usable. If the drawer is, for example, 300x300mm, then you can probably only rely on the middle 150x150mm to be consistant, 200x200 at best.
4) Be prepared to loose some boards. If you only plan to use it for one board, every now and then, you will likely never get to know it well enough to set it up for reliable baking.

And if that doesn't put you off.. good luck!

dselec
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 234

Posted on Friday, 21 October, 2011 - 11:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All that heat doesn't it ruin the other components ?
capacitors other plastic coated parts ?

phonoplug
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 240

Posted on Saturday, 22 October, 2011 - 08:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Should hope not! Thats the way industry standard way surface mount PCBs are soldered!

dselec
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 240

Posted on Saturday, 22 October, 2011 - 09:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not so sure
i think all plastic parts are soldered later and mostly from underneath or coated so the solder will slip on and there is a special glue with solder balls on the pads so the solder time is far less that re-solder

phonoplug
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 242

Posted on Saturday, 22 October, 2011 - 10:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Through hole parts won't be reflow soldered, they would be fitted after the reflow process. However, many surface mount parts contain plastics - connectors, electrolytics (in their base), IC and transistor bodies etc.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page