Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

WIB Programming help req

:: EPE Chat Zone ­:: ­Radio Bygones Message Board :: » EPE Forum Archives 2010 - » Archive through 21 December, 2011 » WIB Programming help req « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
WIB board constructionmikeb10/12/11  02:28 pm
MAC Chip for WIByounngjohnnie08/12/11  02:51 pm
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

rich13
Username: rich13

Post Number: 6

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, 29 November, 2011 - 10:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello

Having recently ordered the PCB for the WIB project Dec 2011, im trying to program the firmware to the dspic33fj64gp802 micro.
Im using a Pickit 2 (device file; 1.62.09)
and connected to pins as follows;
Vpp - pin 1
Vdd - pins 13,28
Vss - pins 8,19,27
PGD - pin 4
PGM - pin 5
Tantulum cap, 10uf on pins 20 and vss

I loaded the downloaded hex from EPE,0711109A.hex, this is the error im greeted with;
' Some configuration words not in hex file.Ensure default values ab'ove right are acceptable '

These values are;
000e,00ce,0004,0083
00e5,005f,00f7,00c3
Checksum; F40F, User ID's ; FF FF FF FF
3.3v selected.

Searching ive come across various solutuions which doesnt have any effect.
Withe the above, it programs successfully, but when reading back, buffers are clear, nothing loads back.

Solutions have been to select 2.7v, Vdd Pickit 2='on'
Ive read the post reference to the SD card adaptor,in the meantime, I can get on and construct as much as possible.

Any help would be appreciated. Looking forward to Jan 2012 issue.

Rich

mikehibbett
Frequent Contributor
Username: mikehibbett

Post Number: 1243

Posted on Wednesday, 30 November, 2011 - 09:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What program are you using to program the pic?

I'm guessing MPLAB, but if you told us it would help. Otherwise that jumble of numbers is meaningless.

I'm building the board up at the moment too and will be doing exactly what you are doing in the next few days, so I am sure we will come to the solution soon!

Cheers,

Mike

rich13

Post Number: 7

Posted on Wednesday, 30 November, 2011 - 04:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Mike

Sorry i didnt mention MPlab. As the hex file was already compiled, i just used the Pickit2 application itself, thats where i had the error mentioned in previous post

Thanks

Rich

(Message edited by rich13 on 30 November, 2011)

(Message edited by rich13 on 30 November, 2011)

mikehibbett
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 1246

Posted on Wednesday, 30 November, 2011 - 10:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Rich,

I installed the pickit2 application ( v2.61 ) on my windows 7 laptop. I then made up a small board wired as you described.

I plugged in the pickit2, connected it to the board and started up the Pickit2 application.

All good, pickit2 found, dsPic processor found. I then imported the hex image - and saw the same warning message as yourself.

Now first off, there is nothing wrong with seeing a message like that - it just means that the original engineer did not specify all the configuration word registers in their source code. There is nothing wrong with that, if they were happy with the defaults.

I checked the configuration bit settings against the datasheet and they all look acceptable, so I clicked on "Write" and the chip programmed successfully. I feel confident in saying that will be fine.

Your next point is worth commenting on:
"but when reading back, buffers are clear, nothing loads back."

That's correct, and I bet if you clicked the "Verify" button after programming you would have got a verify error message too, because that's what I get. That's perfectly fine, because some of the config register settings are set to ( or have defaulted to ) Code Protection On. This means you cannot read the code back from the chip. I reloaded the hex file, disabled code protection and hey presto, I could write, verify & read back what I had written.

So in short don't worry about the config bits warning, load the hex file & hit write.

If you've any other questions feel free to ask.

I've been studying the design and am doing some things slightly differently. First, I've gone for the bigger processor, the dsPic33FJ128GP802, as I will probably want to add a lot more code in here myself. The processor is a few pennies more expensive, but has an extra 64KB of flash.

I've also gone for the ordinary 25aa02 eeprom chip. Only because the 25aa02E48 part is out of stock with farnell. The only difference between the two is that the latter has a unique MAC address programmed into it; I can write my own into the vanilla part. It's a bit of a pain, but means I don't have to wait for Farnell. If your WIB unit will be connected to a home router the MAC address doesn't have to be unique across the world, just unique across your house.

cheers,

Mike

timrwilliams
Just joined
Username: timrwilliams

Post Number: 3

Posted on Thursday, 01 December, 2011 - 10:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rich/Mike

I had the same pickit2 programming warnings. I have had these before with other projects and as they did not seem to affect programming tended to ignore them without understanding why! So thanks Mike for explaining. (Thanks also Mike for the Pic n Mix SD wav player - impressive results)
The WIB board seems to work as far as flashing LEDs and read/write SD card functions go but I have stalled there.
Im taking time out to try and understand advanced router programming - a steepish learning curve but hopefully all will become clear

Regards

Tim

timrwilliams
Just joined

Post Number: 4

Posted on Thursday, 01 December, 2011 - 08:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi

Much to my amazement (and relief) I have managed to get some PC/router communication with the WIB. I was greatly helped in this by previous articles in EPE especially Pic n Mix on Ethernet/Internet Interfacing. The breakthrough came when in desparation I did a web search for 'Silicon Chip WIB problems' and found a lot of interesting hits. More than one referred to an issue they suggested was not well covered in the articles, so I pass it on now sooner than later.
It is NOT enough just to alter the 'settings.txt' file which with others has to be copied off-board from the software download to a SD card, which assigns IP address and other variables. BUT the existing 'values.dat' file has to be deleted. This sounds strange but several sites mention it and when I did this I got local access to the WIB web pages. There is obviously more to set up - it looks a v. interesting board - but at least I have something on the PC screen to go on.
There is one problem I would be interested in other comments. While I was pottering with all this I was able to ping the board from the Command Line. Now I have board communication, pinging doesn't work and I get a time out error. Any thoughts, anyone ?

Regards Tim

mikehibbett
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 1248

Posted on Thursday, 01 December, 2011 - 08:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Tim,

well done so far. Configuring router settings for this kind of project is often the most complex part of the project. Working through them remotely is just as hard :o) I found that out when I did the ethernet articles on PicNMix, so hopefully I can help out here too.

It will be helpful to document this all in the forum, so others can see how you solve your issues.

Obviosuly there could be several reasons for the lack of a ping response:

1) Cables not plugged in fully
2) An actual fault in the wiring
3) An intermittent software error
4) A change in the network configuration of the router
5) The windows PC operating system getting confused.

Sadly, point 5) is not that uncommon when using devices with static IP addresses. Windows isn;t really designed for us hackers!

So first off, what changed between when it did work and when it didn't. Try to be as descriptive as possible - eg, did you close any PC windows, power cycle anything, move any cables? Once we know that, I can start suggesting some tests to find out what's going on.

It will also help if you could state what you think your PC, WIB and router IP addresses are, and whether the PC is connected to your router via wireless, directly or through a hub or switch.

Then, a quick test. Open a command windows and type

ping ip-address-of-wib

then

arp -a

Cut & paste the text outputted by both commands in your response please.

Regards,

Mike.

timrwilliams
Just joined

Post Number: 5

Posted on Thursday, 01 December, 2011 - 09:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Mike

Many thanks for your detailed reply, a lot to think about. It may take me a day or two to respond. (Certain family members think I have spent too long on this already!) At the moment I am just enjoying looking at the WIB web screen.
You are right about documentation. At the moment I am trying to make sense of my notes on todays work. At my age, if I don't, I shall have forgotten it all in 24hrs.
I shall certainly try and post a precis with some final router settings.

Thanks again for your help (and Pic n Mix)

Regards Tim

mikehibbett
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 1251

Posted on Thursday, 01 December, 2011 - 10:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're welcome Tim.

>At the moment I am just enjoying looking at the WIB web screen.

I know what you mean; there's something quite magical about seeing a webpage come up from a small box of electronics that you have just finished soldering. Funny really, because at the end of the day, all it is doing is sending a text file back - the web browser is doing the hard stuff. Doesn't stop it being magical though!

Mike.

rich13

Post Number: 8

Posted on Thursday, 01 December, 2011 - 11:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Mike

Thanks for your help. I like you said,verifying did fail. And after much reading, im happy that its doing the job of flashing the chip. But until Ive got the PCB and soldered ect, i wont really know.
Just one thing regarding the 25aa02E48 SOIC, ive ordered a pack of ten from RS. Dose this chip contain the a MAC? ready for the project.

Thanks also Tim for your input

Rich

mikehibbett
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 1253

Posted on Thursday, 01 December, 2011 - 11:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

>Dose this chip contain the a MAC? ready for the project.

Yes, it does. Just solder the thing onto the board and off you go. Each chip is programmed with a unique 48 bit number in the factory.

Are you looking to get rid of any of the others? If you are let me know, I'll buy one from you.

Regards,

Mike

rich13

Post Number: 9

Posted on Friday, 02 December, 2011 - 12:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Mike

Thanks for the reply.

I'm happy to send you two of them. No cost.
If you like to email me,how to send them to you,ill have them posted.

Rich

(Reading my last post, my spelling is terrible!!)

mikeb
Frequent Contributor
Username: mikeb

Post Number: 516

Posted on Friday, 02 December, 2011 - 12:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I am on holiday in France, I ping my PIC32 ... how sad is that ... hehehehe

rgds

mb

timrwilliams

Posted on Friday, 02 December, 2011 - 02:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Mike et al

Working on the principle that procedures should be reproducible, I reset everything and reinstalled software/firmware for the WIB
and tried to reinitialise - with some success. I feel fairly confident that this sequence works with the provisos that

a) it only applies to the hardware set up detailed below
b) it is only an initial part of the set up - there is clearly much more to do - file protocols/email etc.

So -

1) Hardware - BT HomeHub router with Hub Manager software on PC running Windows Vista
WIB connected to router Ethernet1

2) Command line - 'ipconfig' gives -
IP address 192.168.1. 66
Gateway 192.168.1.254

3) WIB Firmware/Software from EPE December download - Folder 'WIB Website and Hex File Version 5.41'
- Firmware programmed with PIC2 and simple adaptor (see other posts)
- all other files copied from folder to root directory of SD card

4)With SD card in PC two files need attention
'settings.txt' has default values -

IP Address = 192.168.0.34
Gateway = 192.168.0.1
Subnet Mask= 255.255.255.0
Primary DNS = 192.168.0.1
User = admin
Password = pass

I needed to change these. Past articles in EPE suggested server IP address should be in same
range as router - I entered -

IP Address = 192.168.1.69
Gateway = 192.168.1.254
Subnet Mask= 255.255.255.0
Primary DNS = 192.168.1.254
User = admin
Password = pass

( I am not sure about the DNS value but it seems to work.)
User/Password - change if you want

Save 'settings.txt'

Then if the file 'values.dat' is present on the SD card, DELETE IT
It will have been created if you have already failed to initialise the WIB with card on board (as I did)
and is NOT overwritten by new 'settings.txt' values. (you can easily check this)
The old 'values.dat' is still used with a new 'settings.txt'. (This is a trap I fell into!)
'values.dat' won't be there in a NEW downloaded folder.

5) SD card to WIB - connect - power up and initialise. (flashing orange LED, green LED for card access)

6) PC Web browser http://192.168.1.69/home.cgi - should get admin/password page - then WIB home page and more.!!

Thats as far as I've gone. The board seems to function in as much as the A/D ports work, but much more to do ( and understand) - encouraging so far.

Looking back, although I used the Hub Manager to check IP values in the router set up, I really didn't have to change anything.

I hope this is useful, I will be interested in others experiences.

Regards Tim

mikehibbett
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 1255

Posted on Friday, 02 December, 2011 - 04:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Tim,

I'm not at home at the moment so can't fully check ( I'm on a coach to oxford - free wifi - great! )

however I noticed that you don't mention restricting the routers DHCP allocation range. I n this case, the router could assign the fixed address you chose for something else on your network, which would stop your unit working.

Somewhere on your router will be an option to "change DHCP address range", normall offering the option to enter two numbers between 1 and 254.

You need to set your fixed address outside of that range. You are free to modify the range in the router; nothing will break, at least not permanently :o)

Mike.

timrwilliams

Posted on Friday, 02 December, 2011 - 06:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Mike

I did wonder about that. I had looked at the Devices Allocation in the Hub Manager and there is little on the network, I selected an address accordingly. but I understand your point about future allocation compromising the WIB and I have limited the range as you suggest. All seems OK.
Thanks for the advice - Hope you enjoy the 'Dreaming Spires'

Tim

mikehibbett
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 1258

Posted on Friday, 02 December, 2011 - 10:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

>Hope you enjoy the 'Dreaming Spires'

'twas lovely thanks, if a bit wet and cold. Heading back home on the coach now :o)

Mike.

mikeb
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 519

Posted on Saturday, 03 December, 2011 - 12:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tim

thanks for posting your findings - that will be handy when I get my devices (just in time for sloping off over Christmas)

rgds

mb

timrwilliams

Posted on Sunday, 04 December, 2011 - 08:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mikeb -

I look forward to hearing how you get on.

Just in case you haven't come across it yet -

http://www.siliconchip.com.au/cms/A_111935/article.html

looks helpful and there are probably other sites as well

Regards
Tim

motchjv
Just joined
Username: motchjv

Posted on Wednesday, 07 December, 2011 - 12:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi, I'm a bit confused. To program the EEPROM I know you need some software To compile and push the code to the EEPROM, but do you also need some hardware that interfaces I presume a windows laptop to the Wib board?.

Have we got step by step instructions on the process?

Cheers
John

motchjv
Just joined

Post Number: 5

Posted on Wednesday, 07 December, 2011 - 01:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I presume you need an in circuit PIC programmer that connects to the RJ45 socket. Is there a kit for the interface between a pc and the RJ45 socket?

John

mikeb
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 524

Posted on Wednesday, 07 December, 2011 - 01:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MikeH - The macro is accepted ok as you indicated but no joy. I am running MPLAB 8.63 and C ver 3.25 - that might be it. I will download and try again.

motchv - The RJ45 is really intended for the network connection (it can be used for software modifications but thats another story). If you are new to this game, I would suggest that you buy the kit. Compiling code, programming PICs and dealing with hardware faults requires a fair bit of experience (and extra equipment).

I dont want to put you off, just my opinion which might help.

rgds

mb

timrwilliams

Posted on Wednesday, 07 December, 2011 - 02:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Motchv - I agree with a lot of what Mikeb has just posted. However you wont need to worry about compiling code (Mikeb and Mikeh have issues with this -see back) as the hex code is supplied in the download - and works. But you will need a PIC programmer of some sort and to do this in circuit, a small wiring adaptor as discussed by Rich13 and Mikeh earlier in this thread.
This is turning into quite an involved project - but a very interesting one

Regards Tim

mikeb
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 525

Posted on Wednesday, 07 December, 2011 - 02:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MikeH - Looks like it was my old compiler version. Thanks for help.

motchjv

Posted on Wednesday, 07 December, 2011 - 04:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Guys,

I have a lot of past experience building complex maplin kits but that was many moons ago. Also in my past life I wrote my own code and programmed EPROMs in HEX using a writing a writing device, but it was so long ago cant even remember what it was called, and I seem to remember it was only 128Kb, so that shows how long ago it was.

I also have 35 years of I.T, experience, plus an HNC in software engineering. I have used various programming languages in the past including modular 2, assembler, pascal, basic, C++, .NET and HTML to name but a few. I think I'm up to this this project, just need to brush up my skills. A process diagram in issue one showing how all the various modules bolted together would have been usefull. I plan to use my Wib for collecting electricity usage in my house using a current cost data logger. I plan to write some fancy code in .NET so i get nice pretty graphs showing my real time energy use and look at it via the web. I have a few other Ideas as well regarding a double SD socket.

John

motchjv

Posted on Wednesday, 07 December, 2011 - 04:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok it looks like people are using a pickit2. I think these are about 50 quid from maplins. I wonder if there is a project available to build your own pickit2 equivalent. I may have a hunt around before splashing out 50quid.

John

joe
:::: Super User ::::
Username: joe

Post Number: 1225

Posted on Wednesday, 07 December, 2011 - 04:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

John,
Circuit diagrams are freely available for the PICKIT2; it's in the microchip docs. The firmware is also on their web site. Check eBay for clone devices; may save you some pennies. I bought some PICKIT3 clones that are fine.

Regards,
Joe

motchjv

Posted on Wednesday, 07 December, 2011 - 04:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Joe, I check out eBay, John

Ps
Just got the Jan issue of EPE. Part two of the WIB is more my cup of tea, I used to do all this network and routing stuff as part of my job.

mikeb
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 526

Posted on Wednesday, 07 December, 2011 - 05:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mike/Tim - I have compiled the code for the '128 and will blast tomorrow.

Anyone want some stamps as payment for a MAC eeprom - RS are sold out.

Motch - oooooh ... sorry ... sometimes we get complete novices in the forum and they dont know how quickly the water can get deep (and hot?).
I find .NET hard going, so I may be picking your brains.

If you can get a pickit from ebay you will be away.

motchjv

Posted on Wednesday, 07 December, 2011 - 05:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Crikes, just got my components from Farnells, only ordered them yesterday evening. All I need now is the PCB, does anybody know what the lead time is?.

Cheers
John

motchjv
Valued Member

Post Number: 11

Posted on Wednesday, 07 December, 2011 - 09:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Have I got the right EEPROM as its misiscule. It's only about 2mm long. Farnell 25AA02E48T-I/OT EEPROM serial 2K

170-0985

motchjv
Valued Member

Post Number: 12

Posted on Wednesday, 07 December, 2011 - 09:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It can't be the right one, it's only got six pins

timrwilliams

Post Number: 10

Posted on Wednesday, 07 December, 2011 - 09:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

motchjv - Its the right chip but as you have spotted the wrong package. Functionally the WIB circuit only uses 6 of the 8 pins, but from a quick look at the data sheet I dont think you could do a drop in match. Possibly a small daughter board? (it looks as if there is a supply problem with the 8 pin version). Technically I found soldering this chip the most difficult part, but thats my eyesight and hand tremor!

Regards Tim

motchjv
Valued Member

Post Number: 13

Posted on Wednesday, 07 December, 2011 - 09:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok got the wrong one, need the 8 pin serial device, but its out of stock at Farnell and I can't see any other supplier. Where has others sourced it from?

rich13

Post Number: 10

Posted on Wednesday, 07 December, 2011 - 10:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MikeB

Are you still in need of a 25AA... MAC EEprom?
PM or email with your details if you are

@motchjv
I rang the Publisher(UK) for the details regarding the PCB, and they were on order, they say they will have them this week, and hopefully having them pushed out soon.Looks like this project was a popular one..

Regards

Rich

(Message edited by rich13 on 07 December, 2011)

(Message edited by rich13 on 07 December, 2011)

motchjv
Valued Member

Post Number: 14

Posted on Wednesday, 07 December, 2011 - 10:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mike

I looked at the data sheet and i I could wire in the 6 pin version, but if you know where I can get the 8 pin EEPROM that would be great.

Cheers, John

motchjv
Valued Member

Post Number: 15

Posted on Thursday, 08 December, 2011 - 10:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If I order the pickit 2 with serial analyser from Farnell part number 1439719, will that allow me to program the dspic33fj64gp802?. Can someone take a look for me.

Cheers
John

dave_squibb
Frequent Contributor
Username: dave_squibb

Post Number: 270

Posted on Thursday, 08 December, 2011 - 10:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"If I order the pickit 2 with serial analyser from Farnell part number 1439719, will that allow me to program the dspic33fj64gp802?. Can someone take a look for me. "

Mine does John.

Version 2.62.00
Device file version 1.62.09
OS firmware version 2.32.00

joe
:::: Super User ::::
Username: joe

Post Number: 1226

Posted on Thursday, 08 December, 2011 - 10:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

John,

According to the V2.61.00 release document (see link), Yes... that device is supported.

You should download the latest software when you get your programmmer. Many of them have been sat on the shelf for heaven knows how long and are way out of date.

http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/PICkit%202%20Readme%20v2-61-00%20(a).txt

Regards,
Joe

timrwilliams
Valued Member

Post Number: 12

Posted on Thursday, 08 December, 2011 - 10:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A PicKit2 should be fine - but is that part No -1439719 a PicKit2?

Tim

dave_squibb
Frequent Contributor
Username: dave_squibb

Post Number: 271

Posted on Thursday, 08 December, 2011 - 11:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Try 1340278

motchjv
Valued Member

Post Number: 16

Posted on Thursday, 08 December, 2011 - 11:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Farnell, 1439719 analyser kit serial pickit. £32.85
1340278, looks very simular and is nearly the same price. £32.26. This one is the Debug kit express, pickit2. Looks like they both do the same job.

motchjv
Valued Member

Post Number: 17

Posted on Thursday, 08 December, 2011 - 05:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi
Both the PICkit2 and PICkit 3 support this device.

9847170                PROGRAMMER, PICKIT 2

1340278                DEBUG KIT, EXPRESS, PICKIT2 ( a PICKIT2 with a demo board)

1771323                PROGRAMMER, IN-CCT DEBUGGER, PICKIT 3

1686530                DEBUG KIT, EXPRESS, PICKIT 3 ( a PICKIT3 with a demo board)

Thanks

Carl Scargill
Technical Supervisor
Embedded Specialist
Farnell UK, Ireland, Nordics & Eastern Europe

rich13
Valued Member

Post Number: 11

Posted on Saturday, 10 December, 2011 - 01:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi All

Thought ide stay in this area instead of making another thread regarding the WIB.

Question i have, im finding it hard sourcing the LAN socket specified for the project, this having the transformer coil built in etc.

The ones below, from RS has just LEDs incorporated.
Would this be ok, rather tahn the one specified?

257-8791
Amphenol RJHS-408A Bi-colour unshielded RJ45 LED skt,1.5A

or

257-8814 Bi-colour shield Cat5 RJ45 LED
2.450 skt,1.5A

Thanks

Rich

mikehibbett
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 1276

Posted on Saturday, 10 December, 2011 - 10:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Rich,

The correct one is available from Farnell, part 135-7435.

I have a spare one though, so email me your home address and I'll stick it in the post.

Cheers,

Mike

jfheeps
Just joined
Username: jfheeps

Post Number: 1

Posted on Saturday, 10 December, 2011 - 03:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Having built the WIB and set it up using the inward facing IP I am having difficulty in it being recognised via the internet.

My set up is as follows:

Router/Modem = BTHome Hub 3 using Infinity fibre access

IP Address = 192.168.1.63
Subnet Mask = 255.255.255.0
Primary DNS Server = 192.72.9.34(taken from router info)
Default IP Address = 192.168.1.63(not sure about this)
Gateway IP = 192.168.1.254
Secondary DNS Server = 194.74.65.68(taken from router info)

My DHCP Network range on the router is
192.168.1.64 - 192.168.1.253
I have set my static IP for the WIB as 192.168.1.63

The WIB is correctly shown in the device list of the router with all the correct information displayed.

I have set up a Dynamic DNS with no-ip.com which has the correct outward facing IP but will not work.I have also set up port forwarding on HTTP and FTP.

Connected to my router(3 ethernet connections) I have a laptop on wireless, a desktop on ethernet, a network printer on ethernet and the WIB on ethernet. All can be successfully pinged but not the WIB. The E-mail facility is also not working.

The only thing that seems to work from the outside internet world is the SNTP on port 123.

Can anyone help.

Thanks in advance.
James

mikehibbett
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 1277

Posted on Saturday, 10 December, 2011 - 03:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

James,

this sounds like an issue to do with the setup of your BTHome hub, not transferring data from port 80 on your individual public IP address ( probably dynamically assumed by BT to you ) through to a specific IP address on your internal 192.168.1.xxx network. If you are not familiar with how to do that - and few of us are, this is a rare but acceptable thing to do - then your best bet would be googling for something like "BTHome Hub NAT". Of course, BT customer support may be able to point you in the right direction.

If you post a link to the userguide for this hub, then we might be able to suss it out from that. I suspect customer services may be flummoxed by your question :o)

Mike

motchjv
Regular Contributor

Post Number: 21

Posted on Saturday, 10 December, 2011 - 04:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

James, have you followed all the directions in the Jan issue of EPE. What about the fire wall, have you made sure the port you are using is open?. Also don't forget to check port 25 (SMTP) is open for outgoing TCP.

Can you ping the WIB from inside your network?

John

jfheeps
Just joined

Post Number: 2

Posted on Saturday, 10 December, 2011 - 06:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi everyone,

Have been talking at length with the BT techies who can not offer a solution. I am firmly convinced that the problem is with the BT home hub 3 router.

Has anyone got the WIB fully working with this router?

As the router is plugged into a separate modem with this particular BT Infinity installation I could try another router. Has anyone got the WIB fully working with a specific router?

Please advise.

Thanks,
James

mikehibbett
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 1278

Posted on Saturday, 10 December, 2011 - 07:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

>Can you ping the WIB from inside your network?

I can't - can you?

I can ftp though, and get the full web access.

Mike.

mikehibbett
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 1279

Posted on Saturday, 10 December, 2011 - 08:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

>Has anyone got the WIB fully working with a specific router?

I have an inexq isw054t ( rubbish router, but hey, it works )

I set it up by selecting the NAT option ( network address translation ) set the public IP to my 'internet visible' IP address ( which is NOT a 192.168 address, ) specified the public port number - 80, internel IP address - my WIB's IP address, and the internal port address - 80.

That gets the web server externally accessible to the world.

By the way, I cannot access the WIB from my network when specifying the public IP address. I have to swap to a neighbour's WIFI network to confirm. Not sure why; might be an ISP limitation.

Mike

(Message edited by mikehibbett on 10 December, 2011)

jfheeps
Just joined

Post Number: 3

Posted on Saturday, 10 December, 2011 - 08:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Mike,

As I said in my first message I can not ping the WIB successfully.

Running a port scanner on my WIB IP shows that ports 21(ftp) and 80(http) are open but port 25(smtp) is closed even though I have set it up in port forwarding.

Even though port 80 on the WIB IP is shown as open I can not access the WIB using the Dynamic DNS setup at NO-IP.COM even though the site contains the correct router Broadband Network IP Address.

Changing port forwarding items in the router does not seem to open any ports.

Its a complete mystery to me.

Regards,
James

istedman
Frequent Contributor
Username: istedman

Post Number: 230

Posted on Saturday, 10 December, 2011 - 11:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi,

@jfheeps

Have you tried the advanced options of the Homehub for application sharing, shown here:

If you try http://www.whatsmyip.org/port-scanner/ and click server port test, you should get a hit. When I tried it, my PC firewall beeped at me to indicate a port scan in progress.

@thread

I am working through the WIB design and the errata for the Ethernet and dsPIC device, will be making a few recommendations to improve the design shortly. Will take a look at the code that handles the ICMP protocols (ping messages).

It is possible and legal to use a normal EEPROM, rather than a special one with a defined OUI. This will require a code update.

Bye,

Ian

mikehibbett
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 1280

Posted on Saturday, 10 December, 2011 - 11:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

>It is possible and legal to use a normal EEPROM, rather than a special one with a defined OUI. This will require a code update.

Ian,

I've been chatting to a few people at work about mac addresses. I was thinking; if these boards are all on private networks, why bother on insisting on unique mac addresses? Why not just use a common one?

That way, we could do away with the eeprom chip altogether and just have the mac address hardcoded in the code.

What do you think? ( Open question there )

Mike

younngjohnnie
Valued Member
Username: younngjohnnie

Post Number: 13

Posted on Sunday, 11 December, 2011 - 11:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mike
If the code is to be rewritten then there should be an option to include a unique MAC address from the eeprom chip or else we will end up with two diverging projects with two sets of code.

mikehibbett
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 1281

Posted on Sunday, 11 December, 2011 - 11:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

>else we will end up with two diverging projects with two sets of code

Good point, noted.

istedman
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 231

Posted on Sunday, 11 December, 2011 - 12:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mike,

Losing the MAC EEPROM is a good idea. If we define 6 static constant bytes in the code, this will become part of the image and the application can read it out.

In the file, ENC28J60.c around line 268 is the following section of code:

// Enter Bank 3 and initialize physical MAC address registers
BankSel(MAADR1);

WriteReg((BYTE)MAADR1, AppConfig.MyMACAddr.v[0]);
WriteReg((BYTE)MAADR2, AppConfig.MyMACAddr.v[1]);
WriteReg((BYTE)MAADR3, AppConfig.MyMACAddr.v[2]);
WriteReg((BYTE)MAADR4, AppConfig.MyMACAddr.v[3]);
WriteReg((BYTE)MAADR5, AppConfig.MyMACAddr.v[4]);
WriteReg((BYTE)MAADR6, AppConfig.MyMACAddr.v[5]);

This reads the EEPROM and writes the MAC address into the ENC28J60.

The IEEE 802.3 specification allows for locally defined Organisationally Unique Identifiers (OUI) by setting bit 42 of the MAC address to 1 (the byte reads as 02h).

I'm going to create another thread for WIB hardware and software improvements as this one is getting messy.

jfheeps
Just joined

Posted on Sunday, 11 December, 2011 - 12:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Ian,

Thanks for your reply.

I assume from your input that are running a BT Home Hub 3 router.

I have already set up the game/application sharing facility to associate the WIB with the HTTP server and FTP

Running different port scanners all show ports 80 and 21 open and nothing else.

What do I access in the advanced settings to create or change rules for sharing as I can see nothing relevant to apply. Please explain how to go about it.

Regards,
James

timrwilliams
Valued Member

Post Number: 15

Posted on Sunday, 11 December, 2011 - 09:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

James -

It looks as if you and I have hit the same impasse. I have an older BT Home Hub but get much the same scanning results as you do and I guess the set up proceedure is much the same.
I have certainly opened port 25 ( and 587 which a web search suggests may be an alternative) but they remain resolutely closed on scanning and the WIB gives error codes 8001 and 212 attempting to send emails. I think these are hex and if you check - decimal SMTP error codes 32769 and 530, they give rather vague 'port not accessed/not available' which would fit but not help very much.
As I mentioned in a post on the new WIB thread, this problem is reported elsewhere, which makes me feel slightly less dim.
I have just got my son to access the board from the internet using the public IP address - success.

I will be interested if you or anyone has similar experiences or more success

Regards Tim

younngjohnnie
Valued Member
Username: younngjohnnie

Posted on Sunday, 11 December, 2011 - 09:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just found this here http://electronics.gozzisystems.com/projects/wib
"Emails were not able to be sent.
Eventually with the help of a friend, we both tracked this down to the WIB not supporting TLS\SSL and most mail servers (for SMTP) requiring this protocol."
Not sure of the relevance or if it helps

timrwilliams
Valued Member

Posted on Sunday, 11 December, 2011 - 10:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That seems to be right on the button. Thanks for spotting that.
I shall sleep easier!

Tim

istedman
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 233

Posted on Sunday, 11 December, 2011 - 10:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tim/Johnnie,

You beat me.

The current WIB software has the Secure Socket Library (SSL) (search for #define STACK_USE_SSL_CLIENT) has been disabled in TCPIPConfig.h, this is required to sign in to most SMTP email servers.

Just checked through the Microchip website, to use SSL, you need to purchase "SW300052 - Data Encryption Libraries" from Microchip direct.com for 5 USD. This is due to US export controls on encryption software.

Just tried recompiling with SSL enabled, had numerous errors relating to undefined functions, hence the need to purchase the libraries.

Also noticed the ICMP is disabled, this is why ping commands do not work.

At least this answers a few questions.

(Message edited by istedman on 11 December, 2011)

mikehibbett
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 1287

Posted on Sunday, 11 December, 2011 - 11:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Humm, I wonder if we can patch in existing free versions of rsa encryption. There are tons of implementations available; I have a book with one in.

ICMP probably disabled to save space on the 64K device; shouldn't be a problem on a 128K part.

That's annoying, as I didn't think any ISP's offered whats called 'open relay' anymore. And those that do are normally blacklisted, as they get abused by spammers.

arw
Board Administrator
Username: arw

Post Number: 1132

Posted on Monday, 12 December, 2011 - 01:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can you push mail out through a third party smtp?

eg www.authsmtp.com is the one I'd try. They have a moneyback g'tee if someone wants to have a go.
Alan Winstanley -- EPE Magazine Online Editor
Subscribe now at www.epemag.com!

www.EPEmag.net - hobby electronics and more

timrwilliams
Valued Member

Post Number: 17

Posted on Monday, 12 December, 2011 - 09:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ian -

Ah but you have understood 'why'. I have only observed the results.
I have hardly dared look at the source code yet.

Many thanks to you and others for your comments/advice

Tim

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page