Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Help with WIB again - please

:: EPE Chat Zone ­:: ­Radio Bygones Message Board :: » EPE Forum Archives 2010 - » Archive through 13 January, 2012 » Help with WIB again - please « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

rich13
Valued Member
Username: rich13

Post Number: 13

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, 19 December, 2011 - 12:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ive finished the board, ive ran into a problem whereas, the project text says that on powering up, the orange lED should blink twice per second. But ive green and orange on constant. Ive reprogrammed again the chip, but still it remains.
Pluging in a RJ45 lead to laptop, the leds on the RJmag connector. As im still waiting for the SD card adaptor, i had an old 128 SD card, so copied the web files across and soldered direct to pads, obviously checking pin assigments to that on PCB.
Ive checked voltages to PIC and SD card, this is at 3.2v.
I did check connections to the EEProm on the track side, and thats all good.

Any help again would be appreciated.

Thanks

Rich

mikehibbett
Frequent Contributor
Username: mikehibbett

Post Number: 1296

Posted on Monday, 19 December, 2011 - 08:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That old card might not be a 3.3v card; it could be 5v.

Mike

timrwilliams
Regular Contributor
Username: timrwilliams

Post Number: 21

Posted on Monday, 19 December, 2011 - 09:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rich -

I can get the firmware (hex file from EPE download) to blink the orange LED

-without an EEPROM or SD card.
-without a MagJack connection.

But it does need the ENC28J60. If I remove that chip then I get both LEDs on continuously as you describe. I might be worth checking the circuitry around that chip.

Regards Tim

rich13
Valued Member

Post Number: 14

Posted on Monday, 19 December, 2011 - 10:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

@Tim

I checked all connections, everything, and looks good. The problem still remains.

MikeH, mentioned the card may be an old 5v type, he could be right, as it came from a sat nav. How can i tell if its a 3.3v version? The project states that the firmware, checks that the inserted card operates at 3.3v.

Ive noticed even using a 9v 500ma plug adaptor, the reguator gets hot, and the ENC28J60 a tad warm. Again ive triple checked the tracks for stray solder ect, and its good. 3.3v on IC terminals and that of Reg1 output of 3.3volts.
All checks out perfect.

Ill have this thing working, even if playing with the thing on Xmas day!

Thanks

Rich

rich13
Valued Member

Post Number: 15

Posted on Monday, 19 December, 2011 - 10:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

After i sent last post, i snipped off the SD card, and blow me down, it started blinking at me, thanks Mike, it was the card. Without the card though, it wont connect to PC via RJ lead, is that correct?

Still cant get problem why chip is warm, and why reg1 gets so hot.

Thanks

Rich

(Message edited by rich13 on 19 December, 2011)

mikehibbett
Frequent Contributor
Username: mikehibbett

Post Number: 1298

Posted on Tuesday, 20 December, 2011 - 10:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Which chip is getting warm Rich? And can you quantify 'warm'?

How warm the regulator runs depends on how many volts it is dropping. The ethernet IC draws a fair amount of current, plus you have four leds running. If you are putting 9 to 12v in there I would expect the regulator to get quite hot, even with a heatsink. I haven't tested the current drain from my board yet, but lets say it's 150mA. If I have a power brick giving 12v, then the power dissipated by the regulator is (12-3.3) * 0.15 which is 1.3W. I expect that to generate a fair amount of heat on a small to220 heatsink.

Mine is running at 'latte' temperature :o)

Cheers,

Mike

rich13
Valued Member

Post Number: 16

Posted on Tuesday, 20 December, 2011 - 11:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Mike.

Its the ethernet chip as you said, thats getting warm. Im using a 9v 500ma wallwart.

Everything seems good at present though, Im just waiting for the SD card adaptor, so as to make a permanent connection, then testing can be done properly.

When its in the box and at end of project, if the heat is still a factor, i might go overboard and incorporate a small fan, and/or upgrade to a bit larger heatsink for reg1.

Ill post back when ive tested more, at the moment though wife is pestering that ive taken more time with this rather than xmas shopping ect, i thought there was a vow saying, wife shall not interfere with hobby, or was that just me. :-]

Thanks for your help

Rich

rich13
Valued Member

Post Number: 17

Posted on Tuesday, 03 January, 2012 - 10:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi all

Well heres my updated to the last post.
I was reading istedman post, he mentioned the caps on the ics were not enough to decouple, so ip put 2 10nf across the power pins, and changesd the 470uf elec,i also changed the ethernet chip, i dont know why, but as i was having problems i thought it might be worth swapping for a new, i couldnt wait any longer for the sd card adaptor to turn up (still havent now!), so i demolished a card reader, which had the multi card adaptor, easy to attached wires, and numberd. So all is good, have an IP, showing in the router table, and the ethernet socket leds are working, But i cannot connect via http, ftp connects, but doesnt show the card files.

Im reading posts regarding the build on the 128 chip, but thats for another day.

So, the project goes on, any tips on getting it to work would be appreciated.

Forgot to add, cant ping the WiB address either.
Rich

(Message edited by rich13 on 03 January, 2012)

rich13
Valued Member

Post Number: 18

Posted on Wednesday, 04 January, 2012 - 12:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To update, when i goto 192.168.0.34, the WiB (green led),flashes, reading card. But all i see on screen is looping of the page(s), 'connecting to ethernet server'. After about 4 minutes, the page displays a cannot connect.

Its working, but not whats its supposed to do, ive formattred card as FAT and FAT32, no difference. When I read card back on Lappy, theres 5 files of zero bytes,(not editable) which has been written by the WiB.
At this time, the WiB now shows Orange led blinking, Ehernet socket green Led constant, orange blinking accepting/sending packets.
But no web page to show the WiB.

If i delete the contents from card, and insert as blank, the files written are log file, showing the ip and other info. The other file a data file, showing dyndns entries.

Ah well, tomorrows another day, i might cry myself to sleep...

Thanks

Rich

rich13
Valued Member

Post Number: 19

Posted on Wednesday, 04 January, 2012 - 01:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry to add yet another post

Ive got it working, 'yippeee'
Two things i changed, one the DNS , instead of using the gateway, i used the ISP DNS, and then as i was using Internet Explorer (v8), i thought could this be the problem, so i tried with Firefox, and it fired up, asking for login details.
FTP not working , buts thats another day

Believe it or not, its 00.59, and im tinkering while in bed, and shes glaring like some mad woman with cows disease, so im off until tomorrow,

Thanks

istedman
Frequent Contributor
Username: istedman

Post Number: 248

Posted on Wednesday, 04 January, 2012 - 10:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi,

Glad you have it working. Can't wait for my unit when built.

Ping commands will not work as the ICMP protocol, used for ping messages is not compiled into the PIC image due to lack of space.

For FTP, try the Windows command prompt ftp. It appears that the built in client is limited with command set.

At a command prompt type ftp 192.168.0.34 enter the username and password you setup earlier.
The following commands should work:
ls to list the files.
get <filename> to retrieve a file.
put <filename> to send a file.
binary to switch to binary image transfers
quit to exit the connection
bye to exit the program on the PC.

Ian

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page