Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Soldering iron question

:: EPE Chat Zone ­:: ­Radio Bygones Message Board :: » EPE Forum Archives 2010 - » Archive through 13 January, 2012 » LED Ammeter » Soldering iron question « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

bruce
Frequent Contributor
Username: bruce

Post Number: 726

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, 31 December, 2011 - 10:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello guys, and HNY,
The title of this thread is a bit vague, I realise, but read on, McDuff...

I have in mind a project in which a small slug of brass is to be heated to around 200 deg C. Incidentally, solder melts at all sorts of different temperatures, all in the region of 200 deg, IIRC, but isnt the temperature of the iron around 400 deg?
To control the temperature of this brass 'slug' you need some kind of feedback. I dont think a thermistor would survive, would it? I guess you'd need a thermocouple ( BTW, how do you affix a thermocouple bead to a brass rod in a way which will survive that kind of temperature? )

How do temperature-controlled soldering irons actually control their temperature?

bruce
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

terrym
Frequent Contributor
Username: terrym

Post Number: 1104

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, 01 January, 2012 - 12:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thermocouples can be spot welded so no solder to melt.

Soldering irons these days measure the resistance of the element to get temperature. (Elements are obviously made to more exacting standards these days.)

TM

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page