Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

March Issue - Can't access P26

:: EPE Chat Zone ­:: ­Radio Bygones Message Board :: » EPE Forum Archives 2010 - » Archive through 02 March, 2012 » March Issue - Can't access P26 « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

paul43
Just joined
Username: paul43

Post Number: 2

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, 07 February, 2012 - 11:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have just downloaded the March issue, and I was hoping to find the cct dgm for the thermometer project on p26, but my pdf reader (Foxit reader) jumps from p25 to p27 despite all my attempts to select the (invisible) page.

Am I doing something wrong?? Or is the page missing from my download? And if so how can I get it?

paul43
Just joined

Post Number: 3

Posted on Wednesday, 08 February, 2012 - 12:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've noticed some other oddities: two page 19s and no 21 either.

I'll try a reboot and another download - maybe its Gremlins, or possibly a SNAFU.

paul43
Just joined

Post Number: 4

Posted on Wednesday, 08 February, 2012 - 12:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well a re-boot and a fresh download don't make any difference plus it seems that p31 has also absconded!

What's up Doc?

terrym
Frequent Contributor
Username: terrym

Post Number: 1124

Posted on Wednesday, 08 February, 2012 - 04:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've just downloaded the March issue as well.

The two page 19's - they are different- by one word in the blue panel.

Page 21 and a few others are advertising that apparently is of no use to buyers of the online issue. Pity the advertisers in the UK whose UK readers only get the online version.

Page 26 - yep it should be there.

Page 31 will be advertising, see above re page 21.

I've got a direct email to the US office so will send them a note about it (nobody answers the web form).

TM

poplar10
Frequent Contributor
Username: poplar10

Post Number: 88

Posted on Wednesday, 08 February, 2012 - 02:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

@terrym.

My downloaded magazine is the same as yours with omissions and duplicate pages.

John
Nothing's impossible, I have found ...

ve1arn
Valued Member
Username: ve1arn

Post Number: 11

Posted on Wednesday, 08 February, 2012 - 03:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi all,

Same here,

2 page 19's

no page 21, 23, 26 and 31

arw
Board Administrator
Username: arw

Post Number: 1169

Posted on Thursday, 09 February, 2012 - 10:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The PDF has been re-created again, please could you try downloading once again. Apologies for the inconvenience caused.

It is very helpful if we're contacted directly with any such reports so that we can jump on it, as any posts in the forum risk being overlooked.

-- Alan W
Alan Winstanley -- EPE Magazine Online Editor
Subscribe now at www.epemag.com!

www.EPEmag.net - hobby electronics and more

paul43
Just joined

Post Number: 5

Posted on Monday, 13 February, 2012 - 09:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have just redownloaded the March edition and after a quick check it seems to be OK - so thanks Alan.

I'm not sure what the best contact method should be for arw as there seems to be no email address in the magazine for the "on-line" editorial team as such - or should it be via the private message feature of the bulletin board?

Or have I missed the obvious somewhere?

ve1arn
Valued Member

Post Number: 12

Posted on Monday, 13 February, 2012 - 10:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just downloaded the issue again and I seem to be missing only page 23 and 31 now.

Bob

arw
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1170

Posted on Monday, 13 February, 2012 - 11:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To contact EPE Online (the PDF version), the team in the USA handle the website, PDF creation, reader subscriptions etc. over there, so they're the ones to contact via the EPEmag.com website. We feed back to them but I have no direct involvement with the PDF version and all I'd do is ask them anyway.

'EPE Online' isn't the same as my own role, which is working on the magazine's general Internet presence from the UK (hence Online Editor).

-- Alan W

quornhog
Regular Contributor
Username: quornhog

Post Number: 48

Posted on Tuesday, 14 February, 2012 - 12:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My copy is missing pages 23 and 31 as well. In addition, it appears to be missing two pages between the index page and the editorial page. (I'd guess these are advertising.)

It does occur to me that the page numbering of the e-version of EPE may differ from that of the printed version. I haven't had a chance to check the printed version yet.

BTW my copy was downloaded at 2300 GMT on Thursday 9th February. I am reading it with Adobe Reader X.

(Message edited by Quornhog on 14 February, 2012)
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes!"

arw
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1172

Posted on Tuesday, 14 February, 2012 - 05:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm told these pages were not Editorial but adverts, which were omitted in order to keep the PDF filesize vs. PDF Quality reasonable.

Unfortunately there does come a point where we have to trade off a page or two in order to keep the download workable, otherwise you start to have problems not being able to download a 100MB file size at all.

Hope that helps,

--Alan W

quornhog
Regular Contributor
Username: quornhog

Post Number: 49

Posted on Tuesday, 14 February, 2012 - 06:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fair enough. I don't know what's in those adverts, but I probably can't afford it anyway!
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes!"

kevinbrunt
Frequent Contributor
Username: kevinbrunt

Post Number: 120

Posted on Tuesday, 14 February, 2012 - 07:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It sounds as if there's a need to insert pages with the famous quote "This page intentionally blank", or at least to add a cover page stating which pages have been intentionally omitted.

arw
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1173

Posted on Tuesday, 14 February, 2012 - 07:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good idea!

younngjohnnie
Frequent Contributor
Username: younngjohnnie

Post Number: 56

Posted on Tuesday, 14 February, 2012 - 08:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amazed that including or not including a couple of pages makes such a difference. Looks like 2 pages would be less than 3% of the magazine size. If you can download 100mb easily (and who cant these days) then downloading 103mb shouldnt be a problem.

ve1arn
Valued Member

Post Number: 13

Posted on Wednesday, 15 February, 2012 - 12:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just curious, but don't the advertizers get upset if their pages are missing? Or am I missing something?

arw
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1174

Posted on Wednesday, 15 February, 2012 - 12:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

3% multiplied by x number of downloads = not trivial.

Space in the printed version is never compromised, but actually EPE Online was Editorial-only/ advert-free in the early days to save filesize/ server space/ bandwidth etc., and make the service usable. Going full colour didn't make it any easier.

-- Alan W

younngjohnnie
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 57

Posted on Wednesday, 15 February, 2012 - 11:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But why has the size all of sudden jumped to 100mb. The free sept 10 edition which can be downloaded in full glorious colour and packed with adverts is only 23.9 mb long.

arw
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1175

Posted on Wednesday, 15 February, 2012 - 12:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As I say above, I don't handle the document creation so I cannot say.

-- Alan W

kevinbrunt
Frequent Contributor
Username: kevinbrunt

Post Number: 121

Posted on Wednesday, 15 February, 2012 - 01:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There seems to be an unwarranted assumption that all the pages are the same size. The 2 omitted pages are very heavy on graphic images - in fact both have images of PCBs. They will both occupy a lot of space in comparison to the editorial pages with a high text content.

I would imagine that the need to trim the online PDF is written into the advertising contracts, and if necessary adjustments are made to the charge.

younngjohnnie
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 58

Posted on Wednesday, 15 February, 2012 - 06:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dont think any assumptions were made about page sizes being all the same. However, the whole publication is heavily reliant on graphics both in the advertising and editorial pages. Leading to the conclusion that file size will be roughly although not exactly proportional to number of pages.
However this pales into insignificance if the file size has suddenly jumped to 100Mb today from around 24Mb in Sept 10 for page content that looks similar in both editions.

(Message edited by Younngjohnnie on 15 February, 2012)

terrym
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 1127

Posted on Thursday, 16 February, 2012 - 12:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know where everybody is getting this 100Mb from, the March issue is only a shade over 21Mb.

All this years have been under 25Mb so far. So there has been no major increase in size since the Sep 2010 issue.

TM

arw
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1176

Posted on Thursday, 16 February, 2012 - 01:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We wish. 100MB+ is the original filesize for print quality that we then have to compress down for the download edition. The entire magazine goes to the printers as a high resolution PDF.

younngjohnnie
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 59

Posted on Thursday, 16 February, 2012 - 09:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thought it was very strange when you said you would have difficulty downloading a 100mb file when the Sept 10 edition was only 24Mb.

terrym
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 1128

Posted on Friday, 17 February, 2012 - 01:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alan, any chance they can move away from JPG's for graphics etc.

More and more of them are becoming unreadable after the compression. For example:- pages 9,36 & 58 especially of the latest edition.

PNG or Tiff would be a better option.

TM

arw
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1177

Posted on Friday, 17 February, 2012 - 11:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Terry,

Thanks for the comments. I'll ask HQ to see what can be done.

-- Alan W

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page