Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Franklin's kite

:: EPE Chat Zone ­:: ­Radio Bygones Message Board :: » EPE Forum Archives 2010 - » Archive through 02 March, 2012 » Franklin's kite « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

ant
Frequent Contributor
Username: ant

Post Number: 849

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, 17 February, 2012 - 06:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello all,

I'm having a discussion elsewhere; the gentleman thinks that Franklin's kite was earthed, possibly because the key was obviously held in place by a cord of some sort to a tether.

I'd always assumed that the kite wasn't earthed...

Obviously Franklin was extremely lucky, earth or not, but does anyone know any more?

Regards Ant

kolbep
Frequent Contributor
Username: kolbep

Post Number: 159

Posted on Friday, 17 February, 2012 - 07:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kite_experiment

kolbep
Frequent Contributor
Username: kolbep

Post Number: 160

Posted on Friday, 17 February, 2012 - 07:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.juliantrubin.com/bigten/franklinkite.html

bruce
Frequent Contributor
Username: bruce

Post Number: 761

Posted on Friday, 17 February, 2012 - 09:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

AFAIK, all Franklin did was to hang a key on his kite line. In a thunderstorm. We now know this to be inadvisable, but then, drink driving is inadvisable, yet people do it all the time.
Franklin survived the experience, but it seemed like such terrific fun that others tried it as well. If I remember right, some of them were killed. None of the fatalities ever tried it again.

HTH
bruce

younngjohnnie
Frequent Contributor
Username: younngjohnnie

Post Number: 62

Posted on Friday, 17 February, 2012 - 09:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank god for the Franklins of this world. Where would we be without these enquiring minds

atferrari
Frequent Contributor
Username: atferrari

Post Number: 1199

Posted on Saturday, 18 February, 2012 - 11:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

AFAIK, all Franklin did was to hang a key on his kite line. In a thunderstorm. We now know this to be inadvisable, but then, drink driving is inadvisable, yet people do it all the time.
Franklin survived the experience, but it seemed like such terrific fun that others tried it as well. If I remember right, some of them were killed. None of the fatalities ever tried it again. HTH
bruce

Sometimes is hard to tell between knowledge and sheer luck.

Provided that, you have varied chances to appear in the annals of History of Science or just here

http://www.darwinawards.com/

For the uninformed, the difference would be minimal if at all.
Agustín Tomás - Buenos Aires - Argentina

ant
Frequent Contributor
Username: ant

Post Number: 850

Posted on Saturday, 18 February, 2012 - 08:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello all,

It's been very enlightening, pun not initially intended, and I've pointed out to my correspondent that sometimes - especially in the early days - we needed some people prepared to indulge in ignorant experiments. Look at the Curies, 80 years later their notebooks were still too hot to handle!

Regards Ant

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page