Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Dearman engine

:: EPE Chat Zone ­:: ­Radio Bygones Message Board :: » EPE Forum Archives 2010 - » Archive through 08 November, 2012 » Dearman engine « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

boris
Frequent Contributor
Username: boris

Post Number: 688

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, 13 October, 2012 - 12:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.dearmanengine.com/cms/the-technology/

Direct link to video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=NOImbv_xcT8
Thank you for not breeding.

boris
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 689

Posted on Saturday, 13 October, 2012 - 12:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it's marvelous. True zero emission, no limited charge-cycle or rare mineral battery problems. Fills just like a petrol tank. Exploits common well understood technology for which engine manufacturers are already pretty much tooled up. And so on.

Oh yes, and its British!

foxyrick
Valued Member
Username: foxyrick

Post Number: 19

Posted on Saturday, 13 October, 2012 - 03:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for posting that!

That is possibly the best alternative to conventional energy storage that I have seen to date.

Unlike many so-called alternatives that people have dreamed up over the years, this one can actually reduce energy wastage by using off-peak electricity to compress the air in the first place. It's an almost clean energy storage system.

It looks viable to me. I can even picture the future high-pressure distribution system, like we have gas pipes now.

<cynical>
Hopefully, they will avoid being bought out by someone with a vested interest in some other technology!
</cynical>

alec_t
Frequent Contributor
Username: alec_t

Post Number: 778

Posted on Saturday, 13 October, 2012 - 04:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote from the Dearman web-site:
To turn the liquid air back to gas, simply apply “environmental heat” (anything warmer than -196C). If you do this in a confined space, i.e. inside the piston of an engine, the result is high pressure air
I'm not sure of their engineering skills. Wouldn't it be better to convert it back to gas inside the cylinder of the engine?

twintub
Frequent Contributor
Username: twintub

Post Number: 256

Posted on Saturday, 13 October, 2012 - 08:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think you're being a bit too fussy about their wording Alec_T!
Dearman ought to team up with that French company (can't remember their name) who have already developed cylinder engines running on compressed air. Maybe they have a PATENT for it and Dearman haven't yet realised?

There's only one major problem - How is the Government going to raise massive tax revenue after the demise of the present fuel tax? - Oh silly me, they will of course hike up ROAD TAX to £4000 per year!

foxyrick
Valued Member
Username: foxyrick

Post Number: 20

Posted on Sunday, 14 October, 2012 - 01:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The government have been looking for an excuse to tax air use for decades! Now they might have it...

Hopefully for Dearman, the French system and its patents apply only to compressed rather than liquid air.

alec_t
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 779

Posted on Sunday, 14 October, 2012 - 11:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

True zero emission
If only that were so ;-) How about all the fossil fuel burned in power stations to generate the power for the compressors/refrigeration units to liquefy the air in the first place, and to keep it cold in storage?

twintub
Frequent Contributor
Username: twintub

Post Number: 257

Posted on Monday, 15 October, 2012 - 01:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alec,

If we all swapped our cars for vehicles that required electricity from the Grid to charge the vehicles' batteries or to run compressors, the Grid won't be able to cope. A US study has apparently revealed that US electricity production world have to increase 24-fold if all Americans swapped to so called 'green' cars. The ONLY solution after the demise of petrol/diesel, is for us to generate our OWN electricity. The simplest way (so far) would be to use Solar Voltaic panels and/or wind turbines on our roofs. Not very dependable or time convenient though!

In reality, I truly believe that we should jail all nimby's and build vast amounts of Wind turbines and tidal generators - as we've certainly got the geography for it in the UK. I don't see any realistic alternative unless the Dearman principle is successful on a national scale. Forget anything nuclear - the costs will inevitably spiral so high that none us could afford the prices - let alone suffer the consequences of another (in the UK) nuclear accident - when not if!

boris
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 690

Posted on Monday, 15 October, 2012 - 06:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"If only that were so"

It is.

One of the key benefits of LA is that it can be stored at low pressure with no cooling equipment (just a vacuum flask), moved around safely and created fairly easily anywhere and at any time. IE: Intermittent renewables.

Part of the liquifying process requires all the water vapor to be removed from the air. This will obviously be easier (cheaper) to do in very cold locations with very dry air.

I hear parts of the antarctic have consistent and powerful winds. Seems like a no brainier to me. Make it in the antarctic and ship it LA powered super tankers.

And another benefit. No pollution and wildlife concerns if the tanker breaks up. :-)

ant
Frequent Contributor
Username: ant

Post Number: 915

Posted on Monday, 15 October, 2012 - 10:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello all,

"...let alone suffer the consequences of another (in the UK) nuclear accident - when not if!"

Why worry? I think most of the French reactors are all on their northern coast, nicely up-wind from us if _they_ have an accident...

Regards Ant

alec_t
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 780

Posted on Monday, 15 October, 2012 - 07:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No pollution and wildlife concerns if the tanker breaks up.
....but a supply of instant frozen fish

alexr
Frequent Contributor
Username: alexr

Post Number: 227

Posted on Tuesday, 16 October, 2012 - 04:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Or conversely instant frozen motorists if a car's liquid air tank ruptures in a traffic accident.
Alex

boris
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 691

Posted on Tuesday, 16 October, 2012 - 04:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"frozen motorists if a car's liquid air tank ruptures in a traffic accident."

And petrol/LPG is safer because....?

Exactly how does the LA get into the passenger compartment? It runs like water. Worst case is frost bite on the feet while walking through a pool of the stuff. (donno why you'd do that when it will all evaporate in a couple of minutes)

Which accident would you rather be in? LA or Petrol?

(Message edited by boris on 16 October, 2012)

hackinblack
Frequent Contributor
Username: hackinblack

Post Number: 576

Posted on Friday, 19 October, 2012 - 05:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i seem to remember the outrageous cost of my compressed gases (from BOC) was hiked as a direct result of the increrase in the massive electricity cost of extracting the gases...
and the amount of power from 'green' sources is not only quite low,but also quite costly to build.

the idea of venting the liquid air directly into the engine would probably not work;unless the engine was all-ceramic;the corrosion would cripple it PDQ,to say nothing of the localised cooling effects;the surfaces it hit would still be hotter than the liquid,inside a running IC engine
the french patent covers the engine system which uses compressed air;along with a 'crash me if you dare' cylinder having seen the way the french drive;it's a worrying prospect!
the project has gone quiet; doesn't seem to be getting anywhere,hardly surprising;as there is so much tax income from 'normal' fuels all the supposed 'green' posturing evaporates.

pebe
Frequent Contributor
Username: pebe

Post Number: 111

Posted on Saturday, 20 October, 2012 - 08:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I came across this article recently. It looks like it could be a possible rival to the Dearman engine :-)

http://www.floobydust.com/turbo-encabulator/

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page