Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Prior knowledge required to understan...

:: EPE Chat Zone ­:: ­Radio Bygones Message Board :: » EPE Forum Archives 2010 - » Archive through 08 December, 2012 » Prior knowledge required to understand this « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

atferrari
Frequent Contributor
Username: atferrari

Post Number: 1290

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, 24 November, 2012 - 01:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thinking of formal education, in what subjects do I need prior knowledge to be able understanding this AN? http://wwwlea.uni-paderborn.de/fileadmin/Elektrotechnik/AG-LEA/lehre/projektseminar/2000/OpAmpsFeedback_an9415.pdf
Agustín Tomás - Buenos Aires - Argentina

james
Frequent Contributor
Username: james

Post Number: 119

Posted on Saturday, 24 November, 2012 - 02:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Agustin

Much of the underlying theory and principles (for example, bode plots, phase & Gain margin, poles and zeros, system stability ) would be studied during the Control Engineering modules of an Electronic Engineering degree. Most probably as a final year undergraduate.

Cheers

James

james
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 120

Posted on Saturday, 24 November, 2012 - 09:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ian Bell covered Poles and Zeros in his Circuit Surgery article EPE OCT 2009.

Cheers

James

atferrari
Frequent Contributor
Username: atferrari

Post Number: 1291

Posted on Sunday, 25 November, 2012 - 12:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gracias James for replying.
Agustín Tomás - Buenos Aires - Argentina

mikeb
Frequent Contributor
Username: mikeb

Post Number: 763

Posted on Sunday, 25 November, 2012 - 01:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

@at
Not sure what you are asking.
It looks to me like undergrad level - basic theory, extended a bit.

Some people seem to think teaching is about introducing abstraction - these people can think in the language of maths easily.

I am an engineer not a 'maffs Proff. I use mathematics to model the World and that helps me to improve designs in the abstract, before going to prototypes - but its always about making something in the end.

Is that what you are getting at?

zeitghost
Frequent Contributor
Username: zeitghost

Post Number: 1768

Posted on Tuesday, 27 November, 2012 - 04:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It looks like stuff I forgot 20 odd years ago.

Oh well.

basementboy
Frequent Contributor
Username: basementboy

Post Number: 63

Posted on Wednesday, 28 November, 2012 - 10:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

'It looks like stuff I forgot 20 odd years ago. '
Not me. About 5s after my final exam.
It's extremely important to be taught this stuff, and apply it. It's another thing to be able to reproduce it when you don't use it every day.
It's also familiarity with a subject. I remember the first time I looked at a datasheet or AN. Very confusing. I can't confess to immediately understanding the posted AN, but it rings a bell.
It does get easier as you learn which bits to skip!

james
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 124

Posted on Wednesday, 28 November, 2012 - 05:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi

Although that sort of stuff does seem to be generally reserved for academia and an academic and theoretical approach to electronics, I feel it does have an important role to play for all electronics undergraduates in providing a broad based education and knowledge of the subject and for training one's brain and intellect for the high level demands of electronic design and problem solving in what could be termed the more practical areas of the real electronics world of industry and many post university careers.
Besides, it's quite interesting stuff!

Cheers

James

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page