Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Ti Launchpad

:: EPE Chat Zone ­:: ­Radio Bygones Message Board :: » EPE Forum Archives 2010 - » Archive through 11 April, 2013 » Ti Launchpad « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

bruce
Frequent Contributor
Username: bruce

Post Number: 948

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, 24 March, 2013 - 11:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello guys,
This is an odd one and no mistake: it is probably completely the wrong forum, but I really couldnt decide who to ask, so let us start here.
Ti make an el-cheapo microprocessor system to compete with Arduino, PIC, and so on, called the MSP430. There are several stunning advantages to this thing: awesome support, very cheap and yet hugely powerful (16-bit) processors. Incidentally, some 'hackers' made a device to retaliate against irritating office co-workers using this thing. There was a small 'robot' which fired foam bulets. It was under processor control and would rotate, aim and fire at certain targets. One was anybody with red clothes. Unfortunately, the associated video had been pulled.
Although I got a MSP430 board I've never used it because, AFAIK, you have to use C and I havnt got to grips with it yet. Worse, I've kind of decided to go with BASIC: There is a free compiler which does a range of PICs with BASIC.
Maybe it wouldnt do for some of you guys who are heavily into this, but I think it will be OK for the stuff I do.
So, the question is this: does anyone know anything about the MSP430, in particular, can it be programmed with BASIC?

bruce

joe
:::: Super User ::::
Username: joe

Post Number: 1360

Posted on Sunday, 24 March, 2013 - 11:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bruce,
Welcome to the dark-side :-)

http://www.rowley.co.uk/msp430/basic.htm
My projects, technical info and ramblings at www.hobbyelectronics.net/

hackinblack
Frequent Contributor
Username: hackinblack

Post Number: 591

Posted on Wednesday, 27 March, 2013 - 10:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

saw the MSP developement board on offer for something daft like £14,but bizzarely the vendeor didn't sell the chips!
which rather pulled the plug on the idea...the chips don't seem to be stocked by the normal 'hobby' shops;a real pity as the software is supposedly all 'free'and the chips are inexpensive

bruce
Frequent Contributor
Username: bruce

Post Number: 949

Posted on Wednesday, 27 March, 2013 - 11:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello Joe, sorry I didnt get back sooner: and it isnt so much the 'dark' side as the totally bl**dy 'obscure'.
Even after all this time, you see I still cant make my mind up about which language to use. As I always say: my final decision is 'maybe'. I may be no good at programming language, but I do bad language rather well. Although, not as well as a Welsh friend of mine. If you upset him, he lets out a stream of 14-letter words.
I downloaded GreatCowBasic because it's free, but I dont find it easy to follow. I guess it isnt that popular so support is lacking. There is a compiler for BASIC which does a decent range of PIC chips which is 120 quid ( I think it may be the one you have ). Like I say: maybe.

I saw some stuff on Google which basically ( no pun intended ) said that you shouldnt go there. Hmm. I suppose I will have to get to grips with C. Certainly, every time I do any micro work, the letter 'c' springs to mind.

I finally got back to my datalogger device which had been on hold for months. I needed it because I had to monitor the 'health' of some rechargeable batteries I wanted to use. ( It consists of an AVR chip programmed using the Arduino language, which I'd like to move away from ). After some stumbling around, I got it running last night. The discharge process takes 5 hours or more so I run it over-night. Data is sent to a serial monitor program. Microdaft decided to send an update and restarted the pc for me. Kind of them, but I lost all my data.
Laugh? I nearly woke up.

Bruce

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page