Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

PICkit 3

:: EPE Chat Zone ­:: ­Radio Bygones Message Board :: » EPE Forum Archives 2010 - » Archive through 11 April, 2013 » PICkit 3 « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

echase
Frequent Contributor
Username: echase

Post Number: 708

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, 02 April, 2013 - 10:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What is the simplest way to use a PICkit 3 to load a hex file? So far my PICkit 3 is lying unused because not found a way to use it. My impression is that it is designed for use with MPLAB only but instead I just want something simple like the PICkit 2 software.

The following may be connected or may be a separate issue but still like hear if anyone has a solution to this. Both PICkit 2 and 3 have Microchip batch files (PK2CMD and PK3CMD) that can be used with say Flowcode. But in discussion with Flowcode support teams I said the following because I could not get either of the batch files to work in Windows 8.

“Could the 64 bit be a problem because your readme file Readme For PK2CMD says “PICkit 2 Command Line Interface PK2CMD is a 32-bit command-line interface to the PICkit 2 device programmer” and says "64-bit Vista is not supported at this time” but does not mention Windows 7. As this file and PK2DeviceFile.dat are dated 2009 I suspect they are not fully compatible with Windows 7. Is there an update?

The equivalent readme file for PK3CMD is also 2009 but mentions nothing about versions of Windows. Judging from http://www.microchip.com/forums/tm.aspx ... e=1#605695 it is a USB3.0 compatibility problem and I can't find evidence that Microchip has solved it. But this may be irrelevant to the PICKit 2 problem seeing as that one does work via the PICKit 2 programmer software.”
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

joe
:::: Super User ::::
Username: joe

Post Number: 1365

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, 02 April, 2013 - 11:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you mean that nice, simple GUI that was available with the PICKIT2, so you didn't need to go anywhere near MPLAB, then the equiv. is available for the PICKIT3.

The only time you need MPLAB is when the PICKIT3 firmware gets corrupted and you have to reset it - something that seems to happen a fair amount with mine, especially when switching between different PIC families.

Link here:
http://www.microchip.com/stellent/idcplg?IdcService=SS_GET_PAGE&nodeId=1406&dDocName=en538340

4th download from the bottom is PICKIT3 GUI and scripting tool.....

Download that and unzip.
That will give you more .ZIP files.

Locate and Unzip "PICkit3_scripting_app_v03.00beta.zip"

In there is PICKIT3.exe

The rest of your query I can't help you with, sorry.

Regards,
Joe
My projects, technical info and ramblings at www.hobbyelectronics.net/

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page