Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

LC FILTER

:: EPE Chat Zone ­:: ­Radio Bygones Message Board :: » EPE Forum Archives 2010 - » Archive through 28 May, 2013 » LC FILTER « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

james
Frequent Contributor
Username: james

Post Number: 232

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, 27 May, 2013 - 10:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi,

RC FILTER
Cut off frequency,Fc = 1/(2PRC)

LR FILTER
Cut off frequency,Fc = R/(2PL)

LC FILTER

My question - What's the formula to calculate the cut off frequency of a LC filter?

Mike & Richard Tooley use the low pass form of this filter in this month's Jump Start in their Radio's AM demodulator.
They use -
L = 3.3mH
C = 100nF
Which I would assume gives a cut off frequency of somewhere around 20KHz.

I know that the resonant frequency is given by -

Fres = 1/(2P * SQRT(LC))

Cheers

James
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

alexr
Frequent Contributor
Username: alexr

Post Number: 247

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, 28 May, 2013 - 08:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The cut-off frequency is the frequency at which the output falls to 1/2 of the input. In this case this will be when XL = XC which also happens to the condition that defines resonance.

So just change Fres to Fc in your formula and you have the answer.

The values you quote give a Fc of about 8.76KHz which, since AM audio bandwidth is usually limited to about 10KHz, sounds about right.

(Message edited by alexr on 28 May, 2013)
Alex

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page