Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

WAV player mission creep.

:: EPE Chat Zone ­:: ­Radio Bygones Message Board :: » EPE Forum Archives 2010 - » Archive through 27 August, 2013 » WAV player mission creep. « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Library function C - Scanf mikeb02/08/13  11:57 am
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

zeitghost
Frequent Contributor
Username: zeitghost

Post Number: 1839

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, 29 July, 2013 - 11:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, if you remember the ZeitGhost(tm) WAV player from last year (which you probably don't), it uses 4M bit eproms to store 16 bit CD quality (ish) sounds for all of 11.6 seconds.

Naturally the mission creep now requires sommat a bit more sophisticated.

CF cards, and MP3 decoders are next on the agenda.

If only one could still get that sparkfun CF card breakout board.

Ho hum.

mikehibbett
:::: Super User ::::
Username: mikehibbett

Post Number: 1500

Posted on Monday, 29 July, 2013 - 11:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why not try the PIC32 chip? It's available in 28 pin DIL format, and has stereo audio DACs on it. I built a sound effects unit for my local school, and it plays audio *fantastically*.

I've since built a drum synthesiser for my daughter, and with free drum sounds available on the Internet it works really well. ( Especially as she can put headphones on! )

Mike

zeitghost
Frequent Contributor
Username: zeitghost

Post Number: 1840

Posted on Monday, 29 July, 2013 - 12:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cheers, I shall investigate.

basementboy
Frequent Contributor
Username: basementboy

Post Number: 123

Posted on Wednesday, 31 July, 2013 - 10:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

@mike - you're talking wav? Microchip have a paid for mp3 codec for pic 32.
If you put a codec like the VS1053 onto a WIB type platform, you can play streaming radio MP3/OGG/FLAC at 96k. Not sure you'd get the data out of the SD card quick enough though with a dspic. Mike, didnt you have an article about this last year?

mikehibbett
:::: Super User ::::
Username: mikehibbett

Post Number: 1501

Posted on Wednesday, 31 July, 2013 - 11:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

>Mike, didnt you have an article about this last year?

Yes, that's right ( and I just picked up your email Chris, thanks )

You can get the data off an SD card to play wavs - I did it for the drum machine - so you should easily get mp3/ogg data out quick enough as it's a tenth of the size or less. A codec like the vs1053 is good if you can solder fine pitch ICs.

I keep meaning to look at MP3 or ogg decoding on the PIC32, just for the experience. As ever, other interesting things get in the way!

Now I am back in Ireland the whole "Internet Radio" idea is coming to the top of the wish list as I miss the bbc radio stations. Once I'm settled in the new job I might look at that again.

I might just take the easy route and use a Raspberry Pi or Olimex board!

Cheers,

Mike.

mikeb
Frequent Contributor
Username: mikeb

Post Number: 896

Posted on Friday, 02 August, 2013 - 11:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mike

Glad your moving is over Mike - I cant think of a nicer place to set up shop (although I contain some Clare genes myself).

Sorry if this has been asked (I have not been around for a while), but will you still be writing for EPE, or have you left?

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page