Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

"Treasure" Chest or Tat collection....

:: EPE Chat Zone ­:: ­Radio Bygones Message Board :: » EPE Forum Archives 2010 - » Archive through 25 December, 2013 » "Treasure" Chest or Tat collection. « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

rainsbury
Regular Contributor
Username: rainsbury

Post Number: 50

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, 18 November, 2013 - 08:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have in my spares box 100+ 74 series TTL logic ICs, 50+ 741/348 series OP-Amps, and a selection of Z80 support ICs which must be 25 or more years old.
What do you reckon are the odds that they will still work OK if I used them in a circuit?
Is there any point putting them on e-bay?
If I gave them away would anybody want them?

cjay
Username: cjay

Post Number: 7

Posted on Tuesday, 19 November, 2013 - 06:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd say they're likely to work fine if they've been stored well, I've bag upon bag of TTL, Z80, 6502, all sorts that I spent many hours pulling from sockets on obsolete boards, I don't think any have failed when tested.

As to eBay, if you had a pile of Commodore SID chips or Sinclair ULAs then you've a small gold mine. Other than that, my experience tells me it's probably not worth the bother but of course YMMV

basementboy
Frequent Contributor
Username: basementboy

Post Number: 153

Posted on Tuesday, 19 November, 2013 - 10:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd say they'd work fine too. I've got new chips and scavenged ones from more than 20 years ago and they work fine.
There is a market for everything; if you wanted to give them away, I suspect there will be someone who will want them on the forum.

quornhog
Frequent Contributor
Username: quornhog

Post Number: 73

Posted on Tuesday, 19 November, 2013 - 01:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Like me, for example
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes!"

gordon
Frequent Contributor
Username: gordon

Post Number: 939

Posted on Tuesday, 19 November, 2013 - 03:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember playing with some of those chips years ago! One of my first books was 50 projects for the 741, but a bit dated now. I would also think the chips would still work. Makes you wonder how long they would last unused. It could be 100's or even 1000's of years. Shame to not be around to find out!

rainsbury
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 51

Posted on Tuesday, 19 November, 2013 - 05:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I keep saying that one day I will build a new Nascom (Z80) from scratch, but apart from that I cant see a situation where I would want to use 74 series logic ever again.
As for analogue stuff I almost exclusively use dual or quad op-packages, because there is always room for a little fettling afterwards.
If I can get motivated I will sit down and make a list.

bowden_p
Frequent Contributor
Username: bowden_p

Post Number: 271

Posted on Wednesday, 20 November, 2013 - 10:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Stephen,
One time there used to be technology clubs in local schools that would take component donations - not sure that they exist now, but it might be worth enquiring?

I too have some Z80 system chips, UV EPROMS and a home-made programmer, sadly unused for many years now, but I would expect them to work ok.

rainsbury
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 52

Posted on Thursday, 21 November, 2013 - 06:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Paul, but I don't need to ask as I am a physics teacher and I already know the answer.
We have something called STEM, Science Technology Engineering and Mathematics, but they don't go anywhere near that level. They use Arduino and Raspberry Pi systems, but that's about it.
I did have a few sixth formers who were interested in making guitar effects pedals, but when they realized the work involved, and that the cost was about the same as a bought unit, they lost interest.
The other problem is that lunchtimes tend to be taken up with revision sessions, and after we have finished marking and preparation for next day not many of us have the energy left for after school activities that require any degree of thought.

dave_g
Frequent Contributor
Username: dave_g

Post Number: 819

Posted on Friday, 22 November, 2013 - 09:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shame the kids won't have a go - and they only want to in order to save money.

I don't think I've built many things that saved me money, but I have built lots of projects which gave me priceless satisfaction.

Price of everything, value of nothing?

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page