Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

PICKit2 or 3?

:: EPE Chat Zone ­:: ­Radio Bygones Message Board :: » EPE Forum Archives 2010 - » Archive through 04 August, 2014 » PICKit2 or 3? « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

cjay
Frequent Contributor
Username: cjay

Post Number: 100

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, 02 July, 2014 - 11:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've already got three PICKit2 programmers, is it worth the effort and expense to 'upgrade' to the PICKit3 or should I stick with my trusty PICKit2s?

What are the pros and cons?

Is there any difference in the 'new' LPC demo board apart from processor?

Have the 'problems' with programming speed been resolved, are the LEDs now brighter and do you still have to reflash the device every time you choose a new target processor?

bowden_p
Frequent Contributor
Username: bowden_p

Post Number: 323

Posted on Wednesday, 02 July, 2014 - 12:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi cjay,
I have a recent PICKit3, bought for hobby use, and the LEDs are certainly bright enough for use in a well lit room. I use it with MPLAB IDE, which does download new firmware if you change processor family, but it isn't that time-consuming really. If you are re-programming multiple different family processors frequently in a project, then it could get irksome I suppose. Changing between Midrance and Enhanced Midrange firmware takes about 10s, followed by a self-test, firmware confirmation and connection status.

I didn't get the demo board, and have no experience with the PICKit2 to compare.

It has the "programmer-to-go" feature, but I can't see my using that just yet.

I believe MICROCHIP don't intend to support PICKit2 with any new processors in the future.

With regards, Paul.

mikehibbett
:::: Super User ::::
Username: mikehibbett

Post Number: 1589

Posted on Thursday, 03 July, 2014 - 09:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Go PicKit3. New processors will not be supported on PicKit2.

I've heard (although have not confirmed) that the pickit3 is discounted by 40% this month on the Microchip website

Cheers,

Mike.
-----------------------------------------------------------
web: mjhdesigns.com twitter: mikehibbett
-----------------------------------------------------------

cjay
Frequent Contributor
Username: cjay

Post Number: 104

Posted on Friday, 04 July, 2014 - 07:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Done, see the 40% thread.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page