Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Crushed camera disassembled

:: EPE Chat Zone ­:: ­Radio Bygones Message Board :: » EPE Forum Archives 2010 - » Archive through 07 November, 2014 » Crushed camera disassembled « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

atferrari
Frequent Contributor
Username: atferrari

Post Number: 1591

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, 04 November, 2014 - 01:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wish I knew more about this subject.

Having read lately a lot about VCM (voice coil motors) I recalled a camera crushed by a car, given to me two weeks ago.

Expecting to find one VCM inside, I disassembled the optical block. In the attached .pdf I show the pictures of what I could find and eventually recognize.

As usual with my posts, hardly you could learn something, and, if after reading it, you feel that you have wasted your time, sorry. I already spent mine along two afternoons. Let's share...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByHnKahjomwgaU9KT0NWWE1Tb2c/view?usp=sharing
Agustín Tomás - Buenos Aires - Argentina

Frequent Contributor
Username: 741

Post Number: 599

Posted on Thursday, 06 November, 2014 - 04:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Three minute inductors". Are they used as inductors or a "voice coils?". They might relate to the image stabilise function i.e. like the stabilisation coils on a CD disc player laser/sensor assembly.

atferrari
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 1592

Posted on Thursday, 06 November, 2014 - 05:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Three minute inductors". Are they used as inductors or a "voice coils?". They might relate to the image stabilise function i.e. like the stabilisation coils on a CD disc player laser/sensor assembly.

Hola Stephen

I presume, voice coils which by the way, are not symetric to each other as I said.

Disassembling somehting like this for the 1st time for sure made me break things (like the small stepper) The carcass was me who broke it, when pulling from the flat cable.

Not from a camera but from a CD drive I got my VCM. Amazingly simple. And found the optical block, fascinating.

Looking now at how to drive and test it.

By the way, what is that stabilisation you talk about? From what I've seen, both coils (in the CD's VCM) are independent so I presume it is to displace the laser dot around a certain point of interest on the disk.

Any hands on experience with all this?

Interested.

Frequent Contributor
Username: 741

Post Number: 600

Posted on Thursday, 06 November, 2014 - 06:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have no direct experience with this Agustin - Note: "Be careful" with the invisible laser beam in a CD drive - it can produce permanent damage to your eyes apparently!

I think the stabilisation on a CD drive keeps the optics at the focal length of the lens from the CD platter. So I guess it has to move extremely fast (but only by a tiny amount). I thinks it's just an "fine vertical adjustment".

atferrari
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 1593

Posted on Thursday, 06 November, 2014 - 10:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK Stephen.

I am well aware (and scared) of that invisible IR laser. Because of this I was thinking of the possibility to replace it with the LED from a pointer (some available here) to play with focus.

The three small things seemed to me related to the diaphragm but not sure. Otherwise, I did not find other motion-producing element besides the two motors.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page