Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Edison Screw dimensions

:: EPE Chat Zone ­:: ­Radio Bygones Message Board :: » EPE Forum Archives 2010 - » Archive through 15 December, 2014 » Edison Screw dimensions « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

armadillo
Frequent Contributor
Username: armadillo

Post Number: 340

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, 16 November, 2014 - 02:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The bulb went in a night light some time ago. Not knowing exactly what the thread was called I googled Edison screw and came up with all sorts of different sizes plus the information that there's a lot of leeway in the sizing.
The question is, is a thread that measures 11.46mm diameter likely to be an E11 or an E12??

Incidently the night light was replaced with an LED version which has only lasted about two months. I opened that one up and found a blob of solder shorting out an electrolytic so how it ever worked I'll never know. Anyway removing the blob cured the problem and it's working again.

The trouble is that 'er indoors now complains about the colour so the easy answer is get a new 7Watt bulb for the old night light.

So do I go for E12 or E11? (I'm guessing E12 as E11 seem to be non existant in 7Watts size)

All comments welcome

Armadillo
There's no such thing as gravity..........
The earth sucks!

gordon
Frequent Contributor
Username: gordon

Post Number: 1045

Posted on Sunday, 16 November, 2014 - 03:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't have an E12 based bulb, but measuring an E14 spotlight comes in at 13.6mm. So the bulb you have is likely to be E12.

armadillo
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 341

Posted on Sunday, 16 November, 2014 - 04:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for that Gordon. If I don't find a definitive answer I will go for the E12. It would not be an expensive mistake at 2 for £1.54 including postage.

Armadillo
The earth sucks!

twintub
Frequent Contributor
Username: twintub

Post Number: 367

Posted on Sunday, 16 November, 2014 - 11:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why not simply change the LEDs for 'warm white' or 'amber' to satisfy the missus?

armadillo
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 342

Posted on Monday, 17 November, 2014 - 11:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Because my poor eyesight and shaky hands make soldering very difficult these days. I had to give up on electronics as a past time having worked in various electronic industries up to my retirement. I just about managed to suck a big blob of solder off the PCB but that's about it. Also I'd still have to source a suitable LED cos all mine are red or green. However if a suitable LED comes along as these things do, then I might give it a go. Bearing in mind that if I knacker something with the soldering iron I won't have a working night light, the easy answer is a new bulb.

Armadillo
The earth sucks!

arw
Board Administrator
Username: arw

Post Number: 1605

Posted on Monday, 17 November, 2014 - 06:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have one of those in the hallway, it's donkeys years old and uses 7W E12 bulbs. (Wilkinson/ Wilko are good for bits like these.)

E12 are known as candelabra fittings, it's American I think, but Europe uses E14 instead. Since I have a ton of E14 bulbs that won't fit, I found an E14-E12 reducer on ebay some time back.

The butler has offered the following pic:

E12

hth
Alan W -- EPE

More online resources at www.epemag.net

armadillo
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 343

Posted on Monday, 24 November, 2014 - 10:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just to close this thread.-
I ordered E12 bulbs and they fit and work OK

Armadillo
The earth sucks!

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page