Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Surface Mount Oven

:: EPE Chat Zone ­:: ­Radio Bygones Message Board :: » EPE Forum Archives 2010 - » Archive through 27 January, 2010 » Surface Mount Oven « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

mel
Frequent Contributor
Username: mel

Post Number: 82

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, 06 January, 2010 - 05:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi All
Has anybody built there own? eg: table top oven. Or do you use other methods?
Mel

joe
:::: Super User ::::
Username: joe

Post Number: 706

Posted on Wednesday, 06 January, 2010 - 06:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mel,

Got a new/graded electric one off Ebay for £20 including postage. Only a small wee beast but seems to do the job ok the couple of times I've tried it.

Joe
Read my ramblings - www.techbites.com/joe-farr

mikeb
Frequent Contributor
Username: mikeb

Post Number: 231

Posted on Friday, 08 January, 2010 - 01:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am playing around with an old iron (laundry). It melts solder ok.

rgds

mb

johnmosborneuk
Valued Member
Username: johnmosborneuk

Post Number: 15

Posted on Friday, 08 January, 2010 - 08:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have been considering a similar project myself after I noticed that sparkfun sell a PIC based controller for the job :-)

terrym
Frequent Contributor
Username: terrym

Post Number: 692

Posted on Saturday, 09 January, 2010 - 01:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've got one in the works (on hold at the moment - have recently moved house).

I'm using a small fan forced toaster oven and a PIC based controller.

TM

alec_t
Frequent Contributor
Username: alec_t

Post Number: 138

Posted on Saturday, 16 January, 2010 - 04:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

@terrym
Do you toast both sides of your pcb?

Alec

terrym
Frequent Contributor
Username: terrym

Post Number: 695

Posted on Sunday, 17 January, 2010 - 02:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alec, there are elements top and bottom of the oven. Also a fan for circulating the heat.

Working on the mechanics of using the fan assembly to let cool air in at the end of the cycle instead of opening the door.

The controller is from Sparkfun (16f88).

Waiting on new workshop to be built, so will be 2 - 3 months before I can get back to it (it's a big w/shop, 15m x 7.5m with mezzanine).

TM

microguy
Username: microguy

Post Number: 10

Posted on Sunday, 17 January, 2010 - 07:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've always used just a regular soldering iron for soldering SM stuff. Dot of solder on one of the pads, pick up the part with tweezers, apply one connection of part to pad at the same time I apply soldering iron, then just solder the other connections.

A chip is a bit different. I solder opposite corners of the chip, soldering and reheating the first two pads until the chip is properly in place, then just solder the rest.

But... That was when my eyes were better. Haven't done much lately. But a oven does sound like a good idea.

I think the key to getting those to work, is pre-heating the whole thing. You pre-heat the board/components with "something", then pop it in a already hot oven.

I think if you use an oven, and don't pre-heat it, it may take a bit too long to come up to temp.

I don't think it's critical, temperature wise. Just get it good and hot, hot to the touch, but not so hot that anything melts, solder included. That way the heat "soaks into" all the parts.

Then, when you put it in the hot oven, it's exposed to the high temps, that could do damage, for a much lesser time.

You could use a heat gun, or maybe even another oven set to a lower temp. Then just pull it out of one, and put it in the other.

Personally, I think I'd probably have a harder time using a syringe to put the dots of solder on everything. If you're doing that, might as well use a regular iron.

Just my thoughts on it.

I'd prefer to use use SM when possible. I just like smaller parts, smaller PCB's etc... Sometimes that preference for SM can be a bother when creating the PCB's because of limited trace routing. But, I don't mind doing double sided PCB's either, so, generally that's not an issue either so much.

But I don't think I'd want to use my regular table top oven for soldering PCB's. Definitely a dedicated unit.

You can get these (if you're willing to spend a few bucks) with fans in them. It's just a regular convection oven. I just got one for Christmas. Cooks much faster, built in fan, elements top/bottom, light, great digital controller.

The brand name is Euro-Pro. No idea how much it cost.

It's not a "toaster oven", it's a table top oven. I hardly ever use my regular oven, except for the occasional large pizza.

I think a good place to look for these besides wally-mart type stores (cheap ones, but not too bad) is RV places. I think ya'll call 'em "Caravan", like caravanning. They're great for campers, caravans, trailers etc.... Smaller, lower power, etc...

Just sayin'....

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page