Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Do electronics enthusiasts EVER sleep?

:: EPE Chat Zone ­:: ­Radio Bygones Message Board :: » EPE Forum Archives 2010 - » Archive through 27 January, 2010 » Do electronics enthusiasts EVER sleep? « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

muskrat
Frequent Contributor
Username: muskrat

Post Number: 156

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, 22 January, 2010 - 05:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The extreme right column of the thread list shows the date and time of the last post.

I'm not sure whether this time is 'your' time or 'my' time, but either way - some posts are submitted either extremely late at night or extremely early in the morning.

Don't you guys sleep? Or is the hobby so fascinating that you can't get enough?

Be careful - the thought police may just classify this sort of thing as a drug and try to regulate it!!!

boris
Frequent Contributor
Username: boris

Post Number: 480

Posted on Friday, 22 January, 2010 - 05:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's 5:53am GMT here in manchester UK. I'll go to bed when I'm tired.
Thank you for not breeding.

joe
:::: Super User ::::
Username: joe

Post Number: 719

Posted on Friday, 22 January, 2010 - 06:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't sleep... I power-down, and enter a maintenance and diagnostic cycle every 24 hrs.

The length of this cycle depends on how stressful the days been to my system, or how much alcohol I've consumed.

Apparently, if I've consumed alcohol, a strange sound like an oscillating chain-saw emanates from my vocal processor...
Read my ramblings - www.techbites.com/joe-farr

muskrat
Frequent Contributor
Username: muskrat

Post Number: 157

Posted on Friday, 22 January, 2010 - 09:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Strange that. I don't need alcohol to fuel my chain-saw mode. Maybe I have inadvertently discovered a new energy source.

alec_t
Frequent Contributor
Username: alec_t

Post Number: 152

Posted on Friday, 22 January, 2010 - 09:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Perhaps ARW would know. Alan, is the 'last post' time the UK time of receipt of the post?

Alec

boris
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 481

Posted on Friday, 22 January, 2010 - 09:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

9:32am
Still going strong.

arw
Board Administrator
Username: arw

Post Number: 820

Posted on Friday, 22 January, 2010 - 10:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alec, the CZ time is GMT as set by the server - it's 10.33 a.m. GMT (and time for coffee!)

From the forum control panel --

If your server is in a different time zone from that of most of your users, you may choose to have the program add or subtract a certain number of hours from all times presented by the server. The server's current time is:

January 22, 2010 - 10:33
To add 3 hours to this time, you would enter "3" in the blank; to subtract 2 hours from this time, you would enter "-2" in the blank.

Add/Subtract Hours:

If desired, all date/time computations can be made relative to GMT time:

Use GMT time in computations
Alan Winstanley

Visit EPE Online at http://www.epemag3.com

epithumia
Frequent Contributor
Username: epithumia

Post Number: 714

Posted on Friday, 22 January, 2010 - 11:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Electronics doesn't keep me awake, but 3D rendering does.

I was up till at at least 1AM making sure that an animation rendered OK. (It was the 4th attempt, and I didn't want to wait until morning to find whether it had worked.)

While that was happening, I was creating a new render on a different machine.

Epi
If you need me, Neil and me will be hanging out with the Dream King. - Tori Amos

microguy
Valued Member
Username: microguy

Post Number: 16

Posted on Friday, 22 January, 2010 - 05:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I tend to stay up late also. But I think my postings, +5GMT, show up as local time in the UK. In other words, my midnight post, shows up as very early in the morning (5AM).

Normally when I come in here, everybody else has gone to bed.

atferrari
Frequent Contributor
Username: atferrari

Post Number: 819

Posted on Friday, 22 January, 2010 - 07:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am 3 hrs behind Greenwich but when I find myself sleepless I use to get up and enter some forums. When tired (or sleepless) I rarely post anyway.

All this strongly limited by my own working schedule which is hard to predict making impossible to ensure where I will be in the next 12 hours. And I was planning to leave for vacations next week...

Honestly I never checked what timestamp was assigned to my post.

After this, I will. (Greenwich time, it seems) (Well UTC, I know...)
Agustín Tomás - Buenos Aires - Argentina

magnum4
Frequent Contributor
Username: magnum4

Post Number: 801

Posted on Saturday, 23 January, 2010 - 09:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nope.

We do other things, but never sleep
Regards,
Jim

boris
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 483

Posted on Sunday, 24 January, 2010 - 04:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't sleep. I regenerate:

alec_t
Frequent Contributor
Username: alec_t

Post Number: 159

Posted on Sunday, 24 January, 2010 - 09:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is that really you in the photo Boris? You look a lot younger than I thought you were. Where do you buy your regeneration pills? I want some (unless a side-effect is gender-change)!

Regards, Alec

johnmosborneuk
Valued Member
Username: johnmosborneuk

Post Number: 20

Posted on Sunday, 24 January, 2010 - 01:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I do issue a sleep() statement at least once every 24 hours however my hobbying subroutine often generates an interupt keeping me awake longer than I'd like.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page