Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Factory Clock

:: EPE Chat Zone ­:: ­Radio Bygones Message Board :: » EPE Forum Archives 2010 - » Archive through 23 March, 2010 » Factory Clock « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

muskrat
Frequent Contributor
Username: muskrat

Post Number: 166

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, 15 March, 2010 - 05:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been asked to build a factory clock with multiple alarms for a friend of mine. I agreed, thinking there would be plenty to choose from on the 'net. Boy, was I wrong! I have been able to find very little.
Can anyone help with a link to a site, or, conversely, give me a hand. I have no idea how to do it myself.

Note to self: put mind in gear BEFORE opening mouth!!!!

The unit needs to be able to set alarms for the following times/days:

07:00 Mon to Sat
10:00 Mon to Sat
10:10 Mon to Sat
10:15 Mon to Sat
13:00 Mon to Thu + Sat
13:25 Mon to Thu + Sat
13:30 Mon to Thu + Sat
14:00 Fri
16:45 Mon to Thu + Sat

Active-high alarm output duration = 5 seconds.

Any assistance would be sincerely appreciated.

kolbep
Frequent Contributor
Username: kolbep

Post Number: 71

Posted on Monday, 15 March, 2010 - 05:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Google for School Bell Timer,
There are many systems out there,
ranging from just a programmable digital 'pool timer' type of unit that you can set a 7 day cycle on,
to
Computer Programmable ones (that run standalone)
to
Computer Controlled ones

Peter

joe
:::: Super User ::::
Username: joe

Post Number: 749

Posted on Monday, 15 March, 2010 - 06:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Or...

A PIC (16F876 for example), DS1302 RTC + battery backup, LCD and keypad or a several pushbuttons, and a transistor + relay.

Not difficult at all.

If you want a brief circuit / software ideas drop me a line.

Joe
Read my ramblings - www.techbites.com/joe-farr

muskrat
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 167

Posted on Tuesday, 16 March, 2010 - 03:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

@kolbep - thanks. I didn't think of school systems. Google brings up plenty, but they are mainly PC-based which is not what I'm looking for.

@Joe - as always, willing to help! Thanks. I have sent you an email.

echase
Frequent Contributor
Username: echase

Post Number: 309

Posted on Tuesday, 16 March, 2010 - 03:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wasn;t there a recent article in EPE by a guy who did designed his own clock similar to this?

microguy
Valued Member
Username: microguy

Post Number: 20

Posted on Tuesday, 16 March, 2010 - 03:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think joe is headed in the right direction if you're going to build this.

You'd need a clock module, to keep accurate time. Most micros/processors just can't do a very good job of it (not over the long run). It's just easier to use a RTC.

You could get by with a small (four or five) button key pad, just use it as a cursor/enter sort of arrangement.

Then, you could use something like a BASIC Stamp or PicAx or something similar if you don't know PICs (or other micro's).

I'm going to be using several of these Stamps I purchased a while back (to give away, but even that was too expensive!) as proof of concept set ups. Easy to get up and running, can do most anything except critical timing. And, saves a lot of board space/design.

If you really want to cheap out, there is a small AC controller that I use on my pool pump. It has I think, 24 on/off times a day. Easily programmed, battery back up built in. Just use the AC outlet (pass through type) to drive a relay. Sett he relay to instant on/delay off, and set the delay for 5 seconds. And you can program it based on the day of the week. So you actually have 24 events per day, for 7 days. All can be different.

Been working great for me, haven't burned out a pool pump/filter all winter!! Turns it on for one hour, off for one hour, 24 times a day, (12 on cycles, and 12 off).

I think that would work. It's very small, plugs right into the AC outlet, and has a pass through (but controlled) AC outlet. All the programming buttons (wheel type also) you need, plus display. And didn't cost an arm and a leg, I forgot how much exactly, but it was pretty inexpensive.

(Message edited by microguy on 16 March, 2010)

violin
Regular Contributor
Username: violin

Post Number: 43

Posted on Tuesday, 16 March, 2010 - 07:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, this application can so easily be implemented using an RTC chip, although my preference now is to use the DS1307 RTC against the DS1302. Mainly because it does free up an extra pin (DS1302 three pins required - DS1307 two pins required only). I use this RTC chip mainly now utilizing I2C mode as preference, whereas the DS1302 only allows for SPI mode. Regards

Frequent Contributor
Username: 741

Post Number: 140

Posted on Wednesday, 17 March, 2010 - 05:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The PIC18F46J50 has a built-in RTC

muskrat
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 169

Posted on Thursday, 18 March, 2010 - 03:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I found a site with a clock that would, in a pinch, work for this application.

I cannot get it to work correctly.

The PCB is 100%, so I think there is a slight software problem.

The clock seems to run, but setting it is a problem in that the buttons don't appear to work correctly.

Could one of the resident software gurus have a look at the code (Mikro Basic) and see if they can spot anything untoward?

The clock details (sketchy) are at:

www.micro-examples.com/public/microex-navig/doc/084-alarm-clock.html

Thanks

muskrat
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 170

Posted on Friday, 19 March, 2010 - 06:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I feel I must publicly acknowledge Joe for his generosity, time and valid comments and suggestions.

This is the second time he has selflessly offered to help with yet another of my "challenges", and, as usual, has come up with an elegant and simple solution.

Joe - you are a super-star, and a very clever man. I sincerely appreciate all the help you have given.

Regards
Brian

dave_g
Frequent Contributor
Username: dave_g

Post Number: 610

Posted on Sunday, 21 March, 2010 - 09:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brian - my Working Days Clock would almost do this with a few tweaks to the C Code. See EPE Feb 2010.

(Thanks Edward!)

muskrat
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 172

Posted on Monday, 22 March, 2010 - 05:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The factory clock problem has been resolved.

Thanks to all for suggestions.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page